FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phew that banners gone

truespeed
hopefully a new improved one will replace it.
Arnie
Are you talking about the forum's layout? Currently it looks a little broken, I think someone's messing around with it. We'll see the result in a few hours... Wink
Bondings
Yes, I'm 'messing around' with it and probably will continue for the next few days. It's only for logged in members, at the moment. I removed the Chitika ads and I am changing the top of the forum pages. A logo will only be added afterwards.
hack_man_
Bondings wrote:
A logo will only be added afterwards.

"A" logo? As in not "The" logo? Does this mean that there will be another one?
Bondings
hack_man_ wrote:
Bondings wrote:
A logo will only be added afterwards.

"A" logo? As in not "The" logo? Does this mean that there will be another one?

Yes, either a small temporary new one or back to the old one with stats and links next to it. By the way, the visitors still have the old thing.
darvit
Bondings wrote:
...with stats and links next to it.

Yeah, I see it now. Razz Thanks for making the stats show up--it's very convenient! Razz

Is this the beginning of a possible forum redesign? Question
Bondings
darvit wrote:
Bondings wrote:
...with stats and links next to it.

Yeah, I see it now. Razz Thanks for making the stats show up--it's very convenient! Razz

Is this the beginning of a possible forum redesign? Question

No, but I'll probably add a lo-fi account/profile option of the forums, more precisely without avatars, signatures and other 'junk' - a bit like the guests version but without all the advertisements. That can be useful to members on a slow connection or who pay per data transfer.
m-productions
oh no, im going to have to change all my userbars now if there is a new banner xD. ohwell, I hope it looks cool. And I like the points up top showing, very cool!
Arnie
Then you get to fix that spelling error as well Laughing

I noticed the text input field got a lot larger due to the modifications. Make a new post and you'll see. This is probably related to fiddling with the table settings. Wink
Bondings
Arnie wrote:
I noticed the text input field got a lot larger due to the modifications. Make a new post and you'll see. This is probably related to fiddling with the table settings. Wink

I purposely made it a bit longer as the Chitika ad is now gone. I know it doesn't look very good, but it's definitely a lot easier to post, in my opinion.
ocalhoun
I wonder whether this will cause a reduction in the amount of suggestions (for example, no more suggestions about putting points on the index page), or if it will cause more suggestions...

Bout the logo: There should be a contest for it; there's plenty of talent here, and most of it would probably work just for the ability to say 'that's my logo up there!'
m-productions
ocalhoun wrote:
I wonder whether this will cause a reduction in the amount of suggestions (for example, no more suggestions about putting points on the index page), or if it will cause more suggestions...

Bout the logo: There should be a contest for it; there's plenty of talent here, and most of it would probably work just for the ability to say 'that's my logo up there!'

im not 100% sure, i could just be imagining this, but wasnt that logo made from a contest as well?
truespeed
I think a new logo should be of the leaderboard type.
Yjaxygames
I´m looking forward to more forum changes.
Hammy
Heh, very nice new look bondings Wink keep up the good work Smile

Im sure theres probably already a new logo ready.

I've always wanted to ask this, does 'Frihost' stand for .. 'Free Reliable Internet Hosting' ? Or did i just make that up in my head? lol. Because the slogan under the logo wasnt that, so I wondered where i got it from.

Hammy.
pampoon
@Hammy

Yes, that is what is stands for. It's been said on here a few times, mostly by moderators. I heard it first about a week after I signed-up.

And I'm sure whatever Bondings is working on will look great and work well for our forums.

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon
m-productions
pampoon wrote:
@Hammy

Yes, that is what is stands for. It's been said on here a few times, mostly by moderators. I heard it first about a week after I signed-up.

And I'm sure whatever Bondings is working on will look great and work well for our forums.

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon

lol I never once knew thats what it stood for, hahha wow.. thats pretty cool.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
Yes, I'm 'messing around' with it and probably will continue for the next few days. It's only for logged in members, at the moment. I removed the Chitika ads and I am changing the top of the forum pages. A logo will only be added afterwards.

Will it also include a search bar?
alexdude
The new layout is a lot better then the old one. There were too many ads being stuck in my face. This one is a lot cleaner.
m-productions
alexdude wrote:
The new layout is a lot better then the old one. There were too many ads being stuck in my face. This one is a lot cleaner.

how could you even complain of such a thing, your on a free host, getting the best free service, and you complain about how there were ads stuck in your face. I wish he would ad more honestly so he could get more profit.

@garionw
A search bar would be cool, and not at the same time, It would make it easier to use (kinda, ill get to that) and easier for the new members to see that they can search before posting. However, it might make it look to messy, and a lot of the time, to find what you really want, you need to go to advanced search anyway.
garionw
You have a bug in the system:

m-productions
garionw wrote:

Its done that to me before he has bene messing with this layout, so im not 100% sure it has to do withwhat hes doing, your connection might have had a timeout or somthing?
James007
New things are about to come...

*mysterious virtual smile* Anxious
KatanaSky
I'm definitely loving the stats bit there - it's great to be able to see that straight off the bat Smile
imagefree
its really good to show stats (summary details) at the top. You know !! we all need it.
imagefree
Bondings wrote:
Arnie wrote:

I purposely made it a bit longer as the Chitika ad is now gone. I know it doesn't look very good, but it's definitely a lot easier to post, in my opinion.

yes it seems more better. Very nice changes. When i today opened the site, i was surprized what happened to my account! ( i thought either i am blocked or it is a warning, but when i read the stats, i admired the new design).
imagefree
m-productions wrote:
alexdude wrote:

how could you even complain of such a thing, your on a free host, getting the best free service, and you complain about how there were ads stuck in your face. I wish he would ad more honestly so he could get more profit.

I agree.
apple
When I logged in tonight I was sure I was at the wrong place! Rolling Eyes

I like the stats bit at the top...

Looking ffwd to see what others changes will be made Smile
reddishblue
Don't triple post Imagefree.
Anyway, I don't see what's so amazing about this new *temp* design, it's just some extra stats at the top...
I am however excited about the next logo, and the rest of the improvements still to come. Who knows what's next?
Well the staff do, but who knows when we will? Razz

Reddish

Edited by Vrythramax - Don't be a Back-Seat Moderator, there is staff to handle that job.
garionw
James007 wrote:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Last time someone said that, it took 2 months for the changes to occur Laughing
LostOverThere
Woo! New layout! But yeah, it needs a banner. It seems...abnormal. Confused
Zeferman
garionw wrote:

IE6 is not a very good webbrowser, try using FireFox, or Opera.
Vrythramax
Hammy wrote:
Heh, very nice new look bondings Wink keep up the good work Smile

Im sure theres probably already a new logo ready.

I've always wanted to ask this, does 'Frihost' stand for .. 'Free Reliable Internet Hosting' ? Or did i just make that up in my head? lol. Because the slogan under the logo wasnt that, so I wondered where i got it from.

Hammy.

"FriHost = Free Host" Hammy, we had a large discussion some time ago about this and Bondings put us straight.
GSIS
Vrythramax wrote:

"FriHost = Free Host"

Hmm. Thanks. I just thought it was from the German - but then, of course, it would have been FreiHost. Confused
Arnie
Zeferman, that display problem is not related to the alleged bad quality of IE6, but it's something that happens occasionally when phpBB fails to load the template completely (I suspect it's something with CSS). It's probably because they're working on the template right now. I seem to recall seeing exactly the same happen with Opera.

I know many of you are infused with the dogmatic reasons why Firefox would be a better browser but they don't apply to that screenshot. (reference to...)
m-productions
another nice addon up top!!! very cool, and it seems this post box has goten small once again?

and i get this error every now and then

Template->make_filename(): Error - file overall_header.tpl does not exist

wow!!! the thing that shows after you make a post, is sooo smalll.
Vrythramax
@Arnie

It also could have alot to do with the fact the site is being worked on.
James007
garionw wrote:
James007 wrote:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Last time someone said that, it took 2 months for the changes to occur Laughing

Well, actually I wouldn't have a clue. I'm not in charge of it.
Bump_on_a_Log08
I know this is slightly off-topic but is it pronounced like fry-host or free-host? I've always pronounced it like fry-host but oh well. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
m-productions
Bump_on_a_Log08 wrote:
I know this is slightly off-topic but is it pronounced like fry-host or free-host? I've always pronounced it like fry-host but oh well. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I think it is said as free host. which.. isnt the smartest thing, becuase myself, and everyone ive asked, all think its fry-host. and im still gana call it fry-host, cause, thats what it looks like

FRIday FRIhost
OutlawSpirit
sounds like its ognna b an improvement Laughing
garionw
Zeferman wrote:

It was at school, its illegal to use FireFox there
darvit
garionw wrote:
Zeferman wrote:

Illegal?! Wow, that's just wrong. Confused

Anyway, while I'm posting this reply, I am admiring the nice changes to the layout. I love the font up there. And the whole "skinny" layout is so much better. Very Happy
Hobbit
Not huge changes, but I like them. Obviously the ads will go back up, so it will probably look more like it did before again, but I still like the header.
Daniel15
Looks good so far, Bondings Smile.
Where have all the ads gone, though? Shocked

Quote:
By the way, the visitors still have the old thing.

Haha, the "old thing" Razz

darvit wrote:
garionw wrote:
Zeferman wrote:

Illegal?! Wow, that's just wrong. Confused

My school's the same. It's probably because they can restrict IE6 (ie. hide the Tools menu) via system policies, whereas they can't do that with Firefox.
garionw
Daniel15 wrote:

I see Google Ads, but no chitika ones, are they the ones you're talking about?
Daniel15
garionw wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

I see Google Ads, but no chitika ones, are they the ones you're talking about?

Yeah, those ones.
I'm so used to the Chitika ones... I didn't even notice the Google ones Razz
Arnie
@Vrythramax, yeah that's what I meant with they're working on the template, however I have seen it happen sometimes at random occassions. It may have something to do with the website loading but the CSS not being available for some reason.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with the school having their own rules on their own computers. Some free software freaks think they own everything. Well, you don't own the school computers and if you don't like their rules, then don't use them and stop whining. Frankly I am quite annoyed by the folks that block access to their website unless you use Firefox; but hey, it's their website...
garionw
Arnie wrote:
then don't use them and stop whining. Frankly I am quite annoyed by the folks that block access to their website unless you use Firefox; but hey, it's their website...

Who's whining?
Arnie
Whoever fits the shoe, let him put it on...
Vrythramax
Arnie wrote:
Whoever fits the shoe, let him put it on...

And whoever is without sin, cast the first stone.
imagefree
the current version is loading abnormally here.

Firstly the Forums (not the TOP navigation bar and stats area) used to load smoothly, forums used to load 1 by 1 and same in the case with Topics and posts. But in the current update, all these things dont load at their prospective place. SOmethings keep too left and some times it remains just 500-600 pixels in the middle. Sometimes posts go out of the list of posts (goes too left).

Every thing comes to its actual position only when the page is fully loaded, not before.so please do something fo them who have slow connection.

@Bondings.
ocalhoun
Another interesting thing now; on pages that aren't very wide (such as the log in, or some confirmation pages), the banner at the top is still the normal full page width, but the page content itself is in a tiny white box just wide enough for it.
It looks kinda odd, is it intentional?
secondeye
yeah put an old theme or make a new one... Its Looking breakey broakey
m-productions
secondeye wrote:

or, or, i got a better idea, how about we all be patient and deal with the bugs as bonding trys to improve the site for us! He dosnt have to do this, but he his, we should be thankfull, and just deal with the bugs for a bit, reporting them is fine.. but just complaning is kinda annyoing.
Manofgames
Nice changes to the layout Bondings, I like the minimalism effect Very Happy , although it feels weird to be surfing the forums without the ads, of the big banner.
I do like the lo-fi stats at the top of the page as well, very cool and original.
m-productions wrote:

secondeye wrote:

or, or, i got a better idea, how about we all be patient and deal with the bugs as bonding trys to improve the site for us! He dosnt have to do this, but he his, we should be thankful, and just deal with the bugs for a bit, reporting them is fine.. but just complaining is kinda annoying.

EDIT: ah, I understand now Wink

A few issues I have though:

• Please could you adjust the font for FRIHOST - Forums - Rules etc? it looks really jagged and horrible in FF
  • You've got a few cross-browser bugs on some pages in IE/FF, unless you / forum are changing the templates.

Otherwise, ace job Dancing
garionw
Manofgames wrote:

• Please could you adjust the font for FRIHOST - Forums - Rules etc? it looks really jagged and horrible in FF
  • You've got a few cross-browser bugs on some pages in IE/FF, unless you / forum are changing the templates.

I think its just temporary - But I think this should be a featured discussion to alert more people of the changes
tidruG
The changes aren't finished yet, garionw.
I expect there will be a featured discussion once the changes are done.
Bondings
Sorry for the problems. I uploaded the changes not realizing that it would change the width of some pages and when I found out didn't have enough time to find a fix yet.

@Manofgames, I actually like the font of the top, but the details (font, font size, colour) are probably going to change a bit anyway.
hack_man_
But I have to admit... That bar at the top looks like a bit of an accident, no offence. Perhaps if it had the same colour scheme and fonts as the rest of the forum... You might also need to increase and decrease some gaps here and there... padding and whatnot
Arnie
Something else I noticed... it seems as if my points get reset to 45 a lot more often than before. Or is that just my imagination?
snowboardalliance
hack_man_ wrote:
But I have to admit... That bar at the top looks like a bit of an accident, no offence. Perhaps if it had the same colour scheme and fonts as the rest of the forum... You might also need to increase and decrease some gaps here and there... padding and whatnot

Yeah the top is sort of smashed together and the font for the second line is a little too small. I like everything otherwise
m-productions
I like how the links are now up top. I like how they stand out. the only things i have aggenst it will soon go away, i think its just because im not use to it.

About the 45 points... im not sure.... maybe he is refreshing the template is it calls the reset script? or maybe it is just you... i duno xD
Vrythramax
The reset of the points is a cron job that runs every 24 hours if I am not mistaken, and it won't affect your frih$ in any way. Smile
garionw
Bondings wrote:
I actually like the font of the top, but the details (font, font size, colour) are probably going to change a bit anyway.

If that is how the new header looks like; I'd add a break line between the main navigation and the sub navigation, It kinda looks as if it was put up in 5 minutes as a temporary solution - Sorry!
Hammy
aw, i just came here to say that lol.

I was going to say that the Subnavigation bar needs like a 2 pixel 'spacer' above it to bring it down a little, then it will look great Smile I like it too.
Manofgames
I found a VERY weird bug, which might just be to do with my pc, but hey, it might not.
I was reading this topic ( http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-70069.html ) and I was middle clicking(scroll) on the links to the front covers, and I had to middle click the links perhaps two to three times for it to open.
Anyway, when it wouldn't open the links, it was resizing the table :s

Then again, this might be some tools I'm using which are for some reason modifying the page.

I'm using FF btw.
m-productions
Manofgames wrote:
I found a VERY weird bug, which might just be to do with my pc, but hey, it might not.
I was reading this topic ( http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-70069.html ) and I was middle clicking(scroll) on the links to the front covers, and I had to middle click the links perhaps two to three times for it to open.

Then again, this might be some tools I'm using which are for some reason modifying the page.

I'm using FF btw.

it works for me..
Arnie
Wow this is a sudden big change. There's a very big empty, white space to the right of the information area (the one with the avatar in it). Could that empty space be filled up with something? Maybe the top menu (FRIHOST - FORUMS - SEARCH etc)? Tables can be used for that.
To all DIV fanboys: please check this page's source. You volunteer to convert it to your godly DIV? Sorry, phpBB used tables and it works!

Also it might be nicer if each screen would have the same width. Now, the Edit dialog is very wide and then suddenly the Message Posted dialog is very narrow. Probably this is because the table sizes are no longer fixed (which is phpBB's default) but made variable, so they alter according to the table's contents. A lot of text means a wide table, little text means a narrow one.

Bug report: on the account page, the avatar doesn't show up. The reason for this is that in the code, a relative link is used. Usually the location is www.frihost.com/forums so the relative link works: but not from www.frihost.com/account ! The solution to this is using phpBB's variable that contains the base URL (I'm not sure if you entered www.frihost.com or www.frihost.com/forums) in the image address. This setting can be found and altered in phpBB's admin panel.
m-productions
Amazing improvement there.... as soon as i saw this, i was in shock, LOVE IT!!! keep up the work, its looking amazing.

edit: now that its all to the left.. im not so sure, maybe if the text is centered to the left lol. ohwell. its going to look great in the end!!
Bondings
@Manofgames, that is most likely not related to the layout change.

@m-productions, the 45 reset is done once a day (something like 19 GMT) and I didn't change it. It's probably because you are seeing them more often.

@Arnie, I don't want to go back to using tables. The problem is that Internet Explorer seems to stretch all the tables if the top divs are there and I can't seem to find a way to stop that. I'll change the pages one by one into divs (or make them work), at least the ones that need it. By the way, thank you for reporting the avatar bug, I fixed that now, stupid that I didn't think of it myself.

About the white space in the submenu next to the avatar, that's most likely for a bit later as it needs some coding/queries first. More account information and a Google site-search box are planned there. Probably some other things too. But it isn't going to stay empty/white.
m-productions
oh.. I never had any problems with the points. I was just responding to the post (or 2 posts) above me, i never noticed anything.
Ratmaster
Something to make it better would to make it so that the username would bring you to your public profile on the header, so it would be easier to get to. And also, maybe you can make the You have #/no new messages red when you have 1 or more new messages. (I would post this in the suggestions but I think this is the best place to put it at the moment)
truespeed
I like the avatar and user details at the top.
djcaution
I love the new look! Stats right there is much better. thanx bondings!
Bump_on_a_Log08
Interesting, this site is slowly becoming less phpBB-ish and more of Bondings's own. After Bondings gets the site how he wants it, it will probably only be a small percentage still phpBB.
ConquerSockets
Bump_on_a_Log08 wrote:
Interesting, this site is slowly becoming less phpBB-ish and more of Bondings's own. After Bondings gets the site how he wants it, it will probably only be a small percentage still phpBB.

Hey!

Well, isn't it good? I like the new one made today (Showing also how many posts you have done)
Only thing I don't like is the
Quote:
Hosted: No
part Rolling Eyes
can't win everywhere Laughing

Alexander.
Bump_on_a_Log08
Don't worry you'll get that eventually. Just be patient. And yes of course it is a good thing.
djcaution
mine says hosted: yes, what's that mean?
m-productions
djcaution wrote:
mine says hosted: yes, what's that mean?

your being sarcastic right?
it means you have an account....

Anyway, @ a few posts above. I think it will always be phpBB in my mind, and everyones mind, as long as the main theme/layout stays... but. the colors will never changes.. so this is good enough ^^
Arnie
Don't be mistaken, the engine is still clearly phpBB2 and a large part of the code is, too. The template has been modified a bit and there are some modifications for points and stuff. But at the heart of the forum system it's just phpBB2 with some attached stuff. And that's good, because many people are familiar with it.
saratdear
Actually, I love the new layout. The new stats, with my Avatar and all seems just cool. Now, something like a Google Search box, or even better (revenue for Bondings Razz ) a new ad unit. I am sure it may attract a lot of clicks.
vinx_18
This is my first log in since the last old frihost layout. I was shocked(it may sound exaggerating) and I thought that there was problem on my browser on loading some pictures. But since I have read this thread now I know why. For my own opinion, the layout seems good but may be some improvements Smile
truespeed
saratdear wrote:
Actually, I love the new layout. The new stats, with my Avatar and all seems just cool. Now, something like a Google Search box, or even better (revenue for Bondings Razz ) a new ad unit. I am sure it may attract a lot of clicks.

Or perhaps just put up an adsense for search box. A useful search box for us of both site search and google in general, plus follow on clicks for frihost.
Bondings
truespeed wrote:
saratdear wrote:

Or perhaps just put up an adsense for search box. A useful search box for us of both site search and google in general, plus follow on clicks for frihost.

Yes I was thinking of an Adsense for search box or (less likely) the modified search thing that Google launched, where you can modify the results a bit.

@m-productions, sorry I copied the wrong username.
snowboardalliance
I think that div.top and div.subtop should have background colors like the main page so they fit in a little better. It would help make the top part match the main pages. Just a suggestion.
erlendhg
Looks good that we will be able to see how many point we have got, without having to click around a lot first.

Think this will be real neat Wink
I am looking forward to see this finished Smile
Bockman
Am I the only one missing a logo on the forums?

Don't need it to be big or anything, but...

Be Well Cool
Vrythramax
Bockman wrote:

Be Well Cool

Your not alone....it still creeps me out a little not seeing....but I am starting to like the new layout. Change is happening, new users won't even know the difference. Some of us (myself included) are just creatures of habit. Sad
Arnie
I'm starting to like it more too. But white next to white doesn't match, so it may be nicer to give the background of that stats window a different colour. Such as the grayish colour already used in the template.
m-productions
What I like about the search there is that it might make people use a "search" option more. Its not as good as the main. but at least it will catch peoples eyes, and have ads!
Hammy
Ooo a site map =]. Kool.

Although i duno if u know, but the 'Forum site map' isnt quite working yet Wink

Loving the changes so far Smile *thumbs up*
squirrelmaster
Wow, I was a bit confused (and delighted) when I logged in today... But that's what I get for not posting for over a week!!

Sure do LOVE the new stats at the top, now I don't have to hassle with viewing my profile or going into a topic I posted in just to see the points I have. Thank You Very Much Bondings!!!! Dancing

The search is a nice feature too, and I guess the ads there compensate for the loss at the top of the forums?

But I do agree with the others in that it needs a banner or something at the top(maybe just make the links graphical into a banner-ish?) though I'm sure Bondings is working on it, maybe even right now.

Also, here is a small suggestion, change the "Profile" link at the top to say "Edit Profile", and if you want - make the avatar image a link to your actual profile, not to edit it...

Anyway, nice work, and don't stay up too late tonight Bondings Razz
(Yes, even the almighty Bondings needs sleep every now and again ;P)

and @ Manofgames for:
Manofgames wrote:

I'm using FF btw.

most likely your keyboard CTRL key was stuck, because if you click CTRL and use the mouse scrollbar in firefox it changes the textsize of everything, which in turn can mess up a table layout
ConquerSockets
Ahhh, I just understood what you guys meant by points going to 45 now I got the host Laughing
New google tool bar is awesome!
Don't need to go to www.google.com myself, just type the search!

And plus it makes frihost win some money, so all better make at least one search a day!

Should it be also a pre-request in order to be hosted? Make few searches a week in order to keep the hosting service?? It may help frihost a lot to remain alive!

Alexander!
reddishblue
Vrythramax wrote:
Bockman wrote:

Be Well Cool

Your not alone....it still creeps me out a little not seeing....but I am starting to like the new layout. Change is happening, new users won't even know the difference. Some of us (myself included) are just creatures of habit. Sad

Same here Rolling Eyes

But I am beginning to like the new layout, I think the text at the top needs to look less jaggy and a small logo would be good.
But so far it's nice. I hope this is the beginning of the "third age" of Frihost, the second of course being when I joined. Razz

Reddish
prole
OH I think I like that google search bar better than going to forum's search page... it's more convenient now.
hack_man_
I love the new google box! The results are soooo much more relevant, as opposed to PHPbb's inbuilt search. The problem is that it may take time for it to add new posts to the index... Does FriHost have Google Analytics to update the indexes?

Also, I think that you should add some padding to the profile area, to separate the text from your avatar... What I think would also be nice to fill that enormous gap would to move all the stuff like "Last time you visited, current time, etc. into that box.

Ooh Ooh! How about an iframe in there that can point to any page in the forum we specify in our profiles. I personally would make mine point to the "View your Posts" thing...
Arnie
The search bar is nice, here's some more things I noticed:
- there seems to be some tag, <p> or <br> or </form> or something with tables, that creates extra unnecessary blank space at the bottom of the bar. This is really bad for 800x600 and even 1024x768 users because the bar eats up a big part of the page.
- if you'd like to use the integrated search engine next to/instead of Google, look here for several modifications that allow this. There are very simple and small ones included like this.
- it would look great if the main page, the FAQ, the TOS and the directory could be transformed into the same layout as the rest of the pages. For the FAQ you could use the phpBB2 FAQ system (which can be modified); and there is the ability to create custom pages, with e.g. this mod or this one.
Bondings
Arnie wrote:
I'm starting to like it more too. But white next to white doesn't match, so it may be nicer to give the background of that stats window a different colour. Such as the grayish colour already used in the template.

I'll probably change the background colour of it, but only after most changes are done, because otherwise it's hard to know what's the best.

@Hammy, the sitemap was probably already there from the start or at least not long afterwards. It wasn't linked from the forums yet, though. The forums sitemap is for the bots, with links to all the topics.

@squirrelmaster, yes I'll probably add a banner, but most likely only after the changes.

The profile link is a 'language' one, translated into a lot of languages. Also, the editing of the profile, will be added under Account, together with all other account-related stuff. I already made a link from the username to the profile, so I'm not sure if the image needs it too. What do you think?

The revenue from the top banner for members (actually also for guests) was next to nothing. It really doesn't need to be compensated. The search box is there for convenience and because the phpbb search is pretty heavy for the server. If it earns something, the better.

@ConquerSockets, it's there for convenience, not really for revenue. The only thing we ask in return for hosting is to be active in this community (post interesting messages).

@hack_man_, yes it indeed takes time for the pages to appear in the Google index, they might be a bit faster nowadays though. Normally all topics should be indexed within 1-2 weeks although most hopefully sooner. Google Analytics is only statistics and doesn't help indexing. I think what you mean is a sitemap for bots, which we have for the forums. We also need a lot of pagerank/links to be crawled a lot, so we're always happy to get a few extra links. Wink

The layout/padding of the text will definitely be changed. I'll be adding some more information and I'll then modify the remaining space. I'm not sure if the "last time you visited" and current time are relevant enough as most people have a clock on their computer and know when they last visited.

A lot of websites have an input field where you can input some html code, which is added into the pages. In our case that would be under the submenu. I might do that, yes, and it's much more customizable than an iframe.

@Arnie, I made the margins a bit smaller and the removed a few pixels from the top. I hope it's a bit better now.

The reason why I used Google search is because the phpbb search takes a lot of cpu usage, while the Google search doesn't (at least not for us).

The top layout is taken (but modified) from what I planned for the main pages. I didn't implement that new layout yet on the main pages because I still have to work on it (pretty ugly at the moment) an because a lot of the content/links are about new features that aren't made as of yet.
arkebuzer
havent been able to log in due to computer problems for a long while... So got pretty supriced with the new looks.
It´s sweet IMO, a lot more user friendly. And a "cleaner" look Smile
ocalhoun
I love the new user stats and search bar at the top; its a great improvement.

but...

Two things:

1: (And I'm sure this one will be fixed soon, but I'll mention it anyway) The skinnier pages (The ones that haven't been fixed yet, such as the login page) now are not only within tiny tables taking up just a fraction of the page, now they are left-aligned, too! I'm sure it's being worked on, I just wanted to point out that being center-aligned is much nicer.

2: What's up with the purplish color of the bar at the bottom? It goes completely against the theme. Changing it to grey would be better, or even blue with orange links, to make it go better with the theme. That is, unless, you are planning to add more purple to the theme elsewhere...

Edit:
One more:
Under the avatar, I think it would be more aesthetically pleasing, and more useful to have the links like so:

>>>>>>AVATAR<<<<<<
You have no new messages
Profile: View - Edit

It might also be good to be able to personalize profile pages, but that is a suggestion unto itself *starts new topic*.

Edit again:
One more thing (sorry)
If I were a new user, I would be confused about the difference between 'directory' and 'site map'
Arnie
Wait.. the purple thing at the bottom?? What is that? I mean, we already have it at the top, so at most you could put an anchor link "back to top" there... but this doesn't make sense??

Oh and I was thinking, there is a perfect blank space right between the user stats and the search bar for a nice Frihost logo! Wouldn't that be like the cherry on the cake!
vonboy
i REALY like this redesign. the showing you points at the top thing is just awsome. i would be content if you kept it like this lol.
raine dragon
it looks very nice. I like that the stats are at the top of every page, it certainly makes it quicker to find them out.

The font for the buttons at the top looks a bit odd though. perhaps if they were slightly smaller a little more spaced out? they just look a bit cramped, IMHO.
vonboy
i don't know if you can do it, but i think it would make it a little bit easier to post if you also put the post reply button at the top of all the replies so i don't have to scroll all the way down to find the button.
James007
vonboy wrote:
i don't know if you can do it, but i think it would make it a little bit easier to post if you also put the post reply button at the top of all the replies so i don't have to scroll all the way down to find the button.

We took it away on purpose. It's good if you read the thread first.
MJMX
I like this new interfáce as I can see my stats now alltime. It's very simple now
Arnie
Oi, right now the title headers (dark-grayish background, orange text) have become twice as large! Shocked
James007
Anyway, we just need to separate the avatar and the text and it already looks nice.
Rico
truespeed wrote:
hopefully a new improved one will replace it.

I can't even remember what the old layout looked like
truespeed
if you log out , you will see the old layout.
Arnie
Some clarification about my post above: the bars only appear too large in IE6. In that browser they used to be just fine but recently they got too large: see screenshot. In Opera 9 they're still fine, see screenshot. It's the area at the bottom "Featured discussions" that I'm talking about. All such grey/orange headers have this problem in IE6, but it's not completely due to the browser because before the Frihost modifications it was still OK, just like with the default phpBB2 headers where these are derived from.
Bondings
Arnie wrote:
Some clarification about my post above: the bars only appear too large in IE6. In that browser they used to be just fine but recently they got too large: see screenshot. In Opera 9 they're still fine, see screenshot. It's the area at the bottom "Featured discussions" that I'm talking about. All such grey/orange headers have this problem in IE6, but it's not completely due to the browser because before the Frihost modifications it was still OK, just like with the default phpBB2 headers where these are derived from.

I only tested it in IE7 and Firefox. I'll try to get a dual IE6-7 install to test it out in both browsers and try to fix it for both. But I'm probably going to change the whole forums index page into divs and put forums next to each other, so that would already fix a part of the problem.
snowboardalliance
It might look better to make the background on the very top line darker, like a blue to separate it from the userinfo. Sort of how most of the pages look in phpBB at the top.
Arnie
@Bondings, it's also looking bad in IE7, I tested it right now, screenshot. It's supposed to look like this and when you go to a regular phpbb2 board (e.g. Debian forums) with IE6/7 it does fine too. But here something has recently been changed.
m-productions
The size really isnt that big of a difference.. if you put both windows next to each other, also in FF there is a small gray line dividing each section there, in IE7 .. its a very very thing one...

(I have the plugin to put IE7 taps in FF.. so its easy to check)
darrenpaul
I'm not the biggest fan of the new look, it seems like Frihost has gone backwards rather then forward

I do like the way all the information is on the left hand side, but other then that I'm not liking the infor box across the top
Arnie
zZz-productions ( Wink ) I find it quite annoying. But maybe that's because I'm used to phpBB fora so this just looks unnatural. Or do you have a big resolution?
m-productions
XD (still mix up ZzZ and zZz .. bah)

i sometimes I have my res set to max so that i can fit more of a flash site im working on, on to the screen or view more scirpts, but right now, when im just looking at websites I have it set to standard 1024 x 768. And when you put the windows next to each other.. its maybe .. 10 pixels.. or so bigger.. but.. I have weird things that bug me too, so I guess i can see how that can bug you xD
Kaisonic
I like the new layout. I think it looks pretty cool. It's simplified, and shows me my points and whatnot at the top, so I don't have to click as much to see them. Hehe...
squirrelmaster
I've been pondering about the whole avatar link to profile suggestion I made earlier, and as it was just my first impulse, I hadn't realized that the username was linked to the profile.

But,
if it were re-arranged like ocalhoun suggested or similar, I think it would Definitely be a help. But as of now, it isn't needed as much as I first thought it was.
snowboardalliance
The borders make a huge difference IMO. Looks a lot cleaner now, nice work.
eku53ru
I am currently quite pleased with the tweaks in the current forum's layout, despite its appearance looking "broken," as someone had put it in this thread. XD I normally have my bookmark for the FriHost forum set so I automatically access my forum profile to check my point total. It looks like the days that I have had to do that are gone, since everything is now located in a handy little box at the top of the page.
XxGunner
Yeah the site seems broken with the forums aligned to one side and kind of shrinked. But not always. And a new banner is definitely need because it doesn't look so professional like this Smile maybe decrease the size of the text in the top menu too, it hurts my eyes Very Happy
Hammy
Hey... This might sound like a stupid question, but what are AWITs? I dont know wat it stands for. Anyone else?
Arnie
It's this system the admins use to scare you when you've done something (they think) is wrong. Wink
rvec
This is awits:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-54106.html
Bondings
Hammy wrote:
Hey... This might sound like a stupid question, but what are AWITs? I dont know wat it stands for. Anyone else?

It's an Alert, Warning and Information Ticket (System). ( http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-54106.html ) And as Arnie mentioned, it's usually about someone violating our rules, although it has other (information) uses.

Edit: rvec was faster.