FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Creating a Website

Nick93
Creating a website is hard and tireing work. It can take weeks sometimes even months. Rolling Eyes
Have you ever created a website before Question
nhuabo
I have,but at last I found I can't maintain it any more.
As my domain name expires,the website expired.
I can't do it well.
welshsteve
Hi Nick,

Yes, I have created many websites. It's my job Smile

I run the IT for the company I work for, and a major part of my role is the development and management of the company website. When I joined the company a year ago they had a rubbish website, so I re-wrote it from scratch, and we now have a much better one Smile

I'm also in the middle of developing websites for a number of our clients.

I also do freelance work, and run the website for a local snooker league, and have also built sites for some friends.

I really enjoy it.

The trick to not getting bogged down with it, is to draw out your plan on paper before you even start coding i.e. what's the site going to be about, what's your audience, draw a site map. You can then get the navigation aspect of the site correct. This is vital in ensuring people come back to your website. If they can find what they want from your site without getting lost in the site, then you've done a good job. This can be achieved even in sites with hundreds of pages, as long as you use a good "breadcrumbs" technique.

Making it accessible is another vital component.

The best way to design for accessibility is to imagine you are viewing a site in a text only browser, or a word processor document.

Have the main heading of the site at the top with the initial content. Then have the navigation to the other areas of the site below this. Any additional info and/or footer information comes at the bottom.

Once this is done CSS can be used to place each section wherever you want on screen, but the important thing is taking away the CSS should not affect the user's ability to find the information they need easily.

In addition to this, make sure you use ALT attributes for ALL images on the page. Text only browsers and screen readers etc cannot display or read images, so using the ALT attribute to give images descriptions is very important.

These are just a few things to bear in mind. Wink
imagefree
Creating a site ( even in WYSIWYG ) is a loooooog and lengthy job. I created a site, but as i am newer, iniially my desidn was very annoying. In 2 months, i made 6+ improvements/Updates in my site's design. There were dozens of pages that i had to update. But i enjoyed this because i am really serious to become a perfect desogner and a programmer.
qscomputing
This is why you should use a server-side templating system for your site: if you want to change the layout, you just update the template. The content is then spliced into the template when the page is requested.
b4r4t
It's a little faster when You learn how to code templates for one of the popular CMS/Blog systems like Joomla, Drupal or WordPress Smile
Than You only have to design Your webpage template , cut it and code Smile You can make it in one day ...

But if You want to write a site on Your own ... than it can take much more time ... but most of this time is to write PHP for this site...

Next thing is to fill the skeleton of Your webpage with some valuable content - that's the most important thing ... even most beautifull site won't be attractive if there is nothing interresting to read...

CONCLUSION:
Design: 1-2-3 days - depends of Your skill and a little luck (it can take more if You just started to learn)
Code (xHTML, CSS): 1 day (can take more time if You just started to learn)
Code (PHP/ASP/Ruby ...): depends of complicity of Your future site and of that if You use CMS system or You writing Your own ...
Content: every day od Your site virtual life Smile ... Site should be up to date Smile
nhuabo
welshsteve wrote:
Hi Nick,

I run the IT for the company I work for, and a major part of my role is the development and management of the company website. When I joined the company a year ago they had a rubbish website, so I re-wrote it from scratch, and we now have a much better one Smile

I also do freelance work, and run the website for a local snooker league, and have also built sites for some friends.

I really enjoy it.

The trick to not getting bogged down with it, is to draw out your plan on paper before you even start coding i.e. what's the site going to be about, what's your audience, draw a site map. You can then get the navigation aspect of the site correct. This is vital in ensuring people come back to your website. If they can find what they want from your site without getting lost in the site, then you've done a good job. This can be achieved even in sites with hundreds of pages, as long as you use a good "breadcrumbs" technique.

The best way to design for accessibility is to imagine you are viewing a site in a text only browser, or a word processor document.

Have the main heading of the site at the top with the initial content. Then have the navigation to the other areas of the site below this. Any additional info and/or footer information comes at the bottom.

Once this is done CSS can be used to place each section wherever you want on screen, but the important thing is taking away the CSS should not affect the user's ability to find the information they need easily.

In addition to this, make sure you use ALT attributes for ALL images on the page. Text only browsers and screen readers etc cannot display or read images, so using the ALT attribute to give images descriptions is very important.

It is worth to study form you.
I want create a website too, But at last I failed to maintain it.
What I can do is create a my blog site,only for myself.
How to promote my blog,anyone helps?
budazz
maybe creating websites is not what you really want.. for its my hobby and my job.. i love doing websites.. anything you like to do will be easy for you...
guillaume.tabone
Nick93 wrote:
Creating a website is hard and tireing work. It can take weeks sometimes even months. Rolling Eyes

I fond a free wwebsite program on the internet called izispot, it easy and very attractive, maybe you can try it!
welshsteve
There are quite a few free website creation applications available on the internet. Most are WYSIWIG tools, with an option to view CODE view as well. Here's a quick list of what I think are the best ones.

Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express Edition

HTMLKit

NVu

In addition to these, you can download a package called the "Web Developer Server Suite" from http://www.devside.net/server/webdeveloper

This package contains Apache server and MySQL to allow you to run and test PHP driven websites on your own machine, and also includes phpMyAdmin for administering it all. It also includes installs of the popular CMS systems such as Joomla, WordPress and Drupal. It's an excellent package and will happily run alongside the .NET framework should you have that installed.
kiranaghor
Learning web development is easy and can be a lot of fun if are intrested doing it. Learn XHTML first. If u want to learn it right way, I would recommend reading Head First HTML and CSS with XHTML. CSS will give u joyous moments as it will beautify ur web pages (depends on how good designer u are).
On the serverside there is PHP which one can pick fast and easy. then there is Mysql for database management. I would recommend reading PHP mysql web development by SAMS Publishing.
Ajax is an interesting technique that needs to be mastered if one wants to develop a web 2.0 website. It adds to usability features of the web app one is developing. Javascript knowledge is necessary to use ajax. First read Learning Javascript (Orielly) then go for Head First Ajax + Professional Ajax (Wrox) and u are a professional web 2.0 developer.
welshsteve
kiranaghor wrote:
Learning web development is easy and can be a lot of fun if are intrested doing it. Learn XHTML first. If u want to learn it right way, I would recommend reading Head First HTML and CSS with XHTML. CSS will give u joyous moments as it will beautify ur web pages (depends on how good designer u are).
On the serverside there is PHP which one can pick fast and easy. then there is Mysql for database management. I would recommend reading PHP mysql web development by SAMS Publishing.
Ajax is an interesting technique that needs to be mastered if one wants to develop a web 2.0 website. It adds to usability features of the web app one is developing. Javascript knowledge is necessary to use ajax. First read Learning Javascript (Orielly) then go for Head First Ajax + Professional Ajax (Wrox) and u are a professional web 2.0 developer.

I'll echo that. The SAMS Publishing books are a great way of learning. I own about 5 or 6 of them and they are very easy to understand.
web_harman
I think creating a website has become something which everybody can learn to do and every body should do....

It is a great medium for your expression and ideas and thoughts to be expressed to others... I think no better medium....

Well i learned creating websites on my own....

First i learned ther basic html and css from HTML BIBLE series......... i really read some importatn chapters 3-4 times so that i have good hold on design part....

Then i picked a book which gave an overview of clint side scripting and server side scripting... From there i got to know how actually everything works inside great websites.... that book was awsiome.... i leanred some basics of perl, php , asp.net.....

Then i finally picked up PHP because it was free and open source and picked up mysql along with it as database because this was free as well....

Then i actually started to learn when i took a decision of launching a website that will do something....soemthing butit should do something.....

then i really faced many designa nd programming problems but internet is as huga as beyond anyone''s imagination.....

so finally i have created my second website... www.ebizarnia.com
internetjobs
i also have the 3 website. but some time forum are cracked by some one. how they are entering in to my database..
evilryu530
it's a lot of fun tho if u're into that kind of stuff, i mean, it' becomes a living breathing thing that u can share to billions of people all over the world, u can upgrade it customize it, design it, and modify it to ur liking, kinda like a car, so read some books and some sites and u'll have fun with it, i design websites for a living, it can get crazy, but if u stick to the front end design, u'll have more fun.....do u have any specific problems u're running into?
ennnzo
Yeah..it's basically easy as long as you got the will. I learned HTML from http://lissaexplains.com. I am sure you're gonna learn quickly from there. I also suggest start with Notepad in coding since if you use WYSIWYG editors, they always have bloated codes and the lesser chance for you to learn. Good luck!
BlueVD
Actually, it isn't all that hard work.
This is from my point of view. It takes time until you get used with the tools and programming/scripting languages. I've been coding in php for 5 years now and I've managed to get my own framework for building sites. Nowadays, all I have to do is get a general idea about the site, make the design, tweak my framework a bit the the peculiarities of that certain site and host it somewhere.
The hardest work I have to do is keeping my PHP Framework compatible with older versions while adding new stuff to it as the php group releases new versions with new functionalities.
What I find to be the hardest work right now is the general graphics design of a site. It takes time and you have to be creative in order to get a new and original look (while keeping everything simple).

Cheers!
OS Master
I have three websites, but only one is actively developed. It is not hard, it takes a long time to get started and running though.
knullbar
I've made my counter-strike clan a site in 4 days. It's pretty nice, I've started with basic so it could get visited like roster/main/forum/about with a nice template. I'm still upgrading it to though, php/funny stuffs and things. Everything is possible but yes it's tiresome work! Smile
dwikristianto
Nick93 wrote:

it depend on the website type (the job).
if u want to focus on content, u can use pre-made script like joomla or wordpress.
i love joomla cause it can be anything u want; blog, forum, portal, etc etc
all u need is make a minor mod from a template or create another new one.

if u want to focus on the system or web based application,
my suggestion is to make it simple. simple layout and simple process.
it will help a lot.

HWH
Arno v. Lumig
Web development also is my job now, but I don't think it's hard at all. It's just much. (Especially in my case, I have to work with pretty damn large databases). I think the most important thing is modularity. If you want to create an new page, it should take just a matter of seconds, not hours.
Seiji
Created my first site with frihost. I'm still a beginner and it is pretty difficult. I was handcoding everything at first but now I know how to use Dreamweaver which makes everything easier.

Unfortunately I had to redo my whole site over since I was using a tabular layout. I've now made a Version 2 which I think looks a lot better than the first. With Dreamweaver I was able to finish Version 2 in about three days.
rafifaisal
welshsteve wrote:
Hi Nick,

I really enjoy it.

Could agree more with above.
Setting out your plans on paper is the most vital part I think.
twowayradios45
you can use "web page maker" its not free though its a trail version, its pretty good for beginners
Talk2Tom11
Yes, creating websites is part of my job. If you would like a website made for you feel free to ask for a quote. My company web address is www.dodsonsolutions.com.

If you are interested in having a website made please feel free to send an e-mail to thomas@dodsonsolutions.com. Give me a little description of what you are looking for and I will give you a price.
sickpsique
I've created many sites with: dreamweaver with awesome results for me and the people who asked to me those.
Right now i'm makinf one more to download software, when it be done i'll tell you Laughing
Ashleyy
I have. I've had probably about 5 sites. I've only had 2 domains. The rest were eithier hosted or on freewebs. Geocities sucks. My2gig is okay, minus that whole footer ad.

Yeah, it takes awhile to get your site opening depending on what type of site you have. Mine are doll/graphic/glitter/myspace resource.

Instead of opening fast with crap graphics I prefer to take my time with quality content.
xbcd
Nick93 wrote:
yeah u should have seen my first one. It was horrible. It used frames and iframes since i could not use css for the life of me. But now, i run xbcd360guide.50webs.com and xbcd360.frih.net and could not be happier. Also working on a fbla site for my highschool.
the-guide
I think it's better idea to setup weblog on your host, it's take only first time trying to setup after that it's very easy task to post, edit and make communicating with your reader.

And nowaday it's seem that most search engine more impressive weblog than common web pages.

Why? Because most blogger update their contents regularly, and search engine alway like new contents.

And most of all you can add life feed to your weblog easily.

Certainly, I planned to create my new one here.

Regards,
R. Apichart
carlospro7
I've made quite a few, mostly for fun, and finally I have been paid for one. yay
j14fusion14
I have made tons of websites, mostly for fun but I do enjoy making good websites too.
Yjaxygames
I have used NVU (google it for info Razz ) and flash to make a site. Flash is actually pretty cool, because the graphics are high quality. NVU is a "what you see is what you get" website editor but it's not professional...
aster
I think it is really a hard work all by yourself, expecily by editing xtml and css, the same using frontpage and Dreamweaver. There are too much work! images, codes, httplinks, frames, scirpts, css.

And not all of us can make pages beautiful, we just are good at judging selecting. So it is a good idea to use One-click softwares, for example wordpress and phpbb. However there are still many work at the beginning. It waste us a long time to sumbit the furtures and manager users.

But is your site!
prominent
Quality web design is challenging indeed especially if you're coming from more of a design perspective than programming like myself. But there is nothing like designing a site from scratch and the feeling of launching something totally unique that you created for the world to see. All I have to say is thank heavens for Dreamweaer. Laughing
[FuN]goku
Coding sites are fun, not as fun as programming but still.. i coded my own cms using phpbb sessions which took me about .... 3 weeks made a template, had about 20 different files so if i needed to change something it was easy to do. I coded mine in wordpad, just cuz im so use to site design now that i dont need a gui, like dreamweaver or frontpage.
Sparky07
b4r4t wrote:
It's a little faster when You learn how to code templates for one of the popular CMS/Blog systems like Joomla, Drupal or WordPress Smile
Than You only have to design Your webpage template , cut it and code Smile You can make it in one day ...

But if You want to write a site on Your own ... than it can take much more time ... but most of this time is to write PHP for this site...

Next thing is to fill the skeleton of Your webpage with some valuable content - that's the most important thing ... even most beautifull site won't be attractive if there is nothing interresting to read...

CONCLUSION:
Design: 1-2-3 days - depends of Your skill and a little luck (it can take more if You just started to learn)
Code (xHTML, CSS): 1 day (can take more time if You just started to learn)
Code (PHP/ASP/Ruby ...): depends of complicity of Your future site and of that if You use CMS system or You writing Your own ...
Content: every day od Your site virtual life Smile ... Site should be up to date Smile

I agree, I found that using a CMS a lot easier than trying to code the whole website, after 3 days of trying i gave up on trying and went to joomla, then to other CMS software, atm Im using a small CMS created by clantemplates2.com, nice little thing.
biljap
I created several websites, but there will be much more as that is my job and I just started it… Maybe it is hard at the beginning while you still don’t have idea of how it will look like and until you’re not 100% sure that you understand what the customer wants… Then it goes much more easily as you see the web pages develop. I think it’s very useful to have some templates for website just to help you to start and then to modify them instead of starting every time with a blank page.
Currently I’m working on a complex information system and at first I was afraid to start, some people told me to think about using CMS because it would make my job much easier… Well, when I finished one web page with complete coding I sow it’s nothing impossible - you just need some experience.
silverdown
Yes, I have created a website I do my own they may not be commercial worthy websites but there good enough for me. I also learn more and more as I created websites. it does get frustrating maintaining it and updating it , but i find it a very good hobby. I hope to get a career in web development programing. I am already in a web-development class at a collage near my city. If you put your mind to something, anything is possible.
eefh1
I am not good at designing websites. But I tried to create a website using free templates and hosted on a free hosting server.

And, Yes. It is a little bit hard to create the web site. But, we can enjoy keeping different creative ideas to create the web sites if we have the clear idea on what we are creating.

Kiran
jugalm9
Has anyone here tried Sitespinner? Its a pretty handy tool for creating complete websites pretty quickly.
It's a downer on the code-front but is very useful for preparing an initial layout of your website.
asim
nhuabo wrote:
Quote:

welshsteve wrote:
Hi Nick,

Yes, I have created many websites. It's my job

I run the IT for the company I work for, and a major part of my role is the development and management of the company website. When I joined the company a year ago they had a rubbish website, so I re-wrote it from scratch, and we now have a much better one

I really enjoy it.

These are just a few things to bear in mind.
nhuabo wrote
Quote:
It is worth to study form you.
I want create a website too, But at last I failed to maintain it.
What I can do is create a my blog site,only for myself.
How to promote my blog,anyone helps?

Hi Buddy,

I have build websites but till date not build my, and as i get projects i become a better designer.... now im coming into CMS.... and making total data driven website. well for newbie's can try this site which can help you about getting into the web desiging and that too full fledged. The website is http://www.newbiesparadise.com/ do visit the site and go throught the tutorials.

maintaining a website is difficult then designing. but wud be fun if you have a little knowledge, and some common sense, dats all needed.

I would say newbies who want a website should use Joomla (http://www.joomla.org).
And people who wants a blog should go for Wordpress (http://www.wordpress.com).

These open souce softwares are user friendly and can be installed easily, easy to maintain, take a backup and everything thing a good we developer can do, and it will give u the knowledge of maintaing a website. and you will be a proud developer one day. Believe Me.[/b]
jucanet
In your opinion, what is the hardest part to make a web site ?
The visual design ?
The model design ?
Da Rossa
Nick93 wrote:

Yes, that's why I came to Frihost in the first place! Good free service. Maybe the best free.

Yes it took me a while. You have to learn the basic html and css. The rest should come by logic. It is interesting.

If you don't have time, then consider a CMS. WordPress or Joomla! could be more intuitive and explaining. Still, you would have a learning curve. But these two would allow you to expand faster and towards a more complex site in a shorter time.
Arrogant
Yea, created one just few months ago. Really confusing at first.
Not good either
Da Rossa
Arrogant wrote:
Yea, created one just few months ago. Really confusing at first.
Not good either

What platform, CMS, etc? PHP, pure HTM+CSS, what? What's 'not good either'?
loveandormoney
Yjaxygames wrote:
I have used NVU (google it for info Razz ) and flash to make a site. Flash is actually pretty cool, because the graphics are high quality. NVU is a "what you see is what you get" website editor but it's not professional...

Isnt Flash dangerous?
Can MAC Users see Flash?
Pippo90
I have always used templates for my websites, but I also try to heavily personalise them. Wink