FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Content Management Systems (CMS)

georgekalathil
Actually I have heard of Content Management Systems (CMS). I also know that they are helpful in optimizing our site. But I am not how it works and how to install it. Can anyone describe me the working and purposes of CMS. Also plz mention some of the major CMS softwares........
Psycho_X52
A CMS doesn't optimise your site. It is your site...a pre-optimised site system that allowes you to manage your content easier. The most common CMS is joomla. It's easy to use and install. I think Drupal is better, but you'll need some experiance in CMS's.
ronaldallan.mojica
Some CMS will optimized your site... A good example of a CMS that will be a search engine friendly is Typo3 and ModX. I'm a Typo3 developer here in the Philippines and i found Typo3 a good CMS better than Joomla.. I think ... and ModX is the only CMS that uses Ajax for administration part.

Why they Optimezed your site?

The answer is they automatically used a browser , search engine url.... That's why its easy to the engine to crawl to your site...
refinedruffian
Hey ! Just go to opensourcecms.com. Its a nice site and contains a list of CMS along with its demo.
ExinRex
Why not try joomla.com it's an opensource CMS. and it has alot of addons on the site. try to check that site.
imagefree
Psycho_X52 wrote:
A CMS doesn't optimise your site. It is your site...a pre-optimised site system that allowes you to manage your content easier. The most common CMS is joomla. It's easy to use and install. I think Drupal is better, but you'll need some experiance in CMS's.

Then what does DirectAdmin do?
imagefree
Can someone please help me, why to use CMS? What difference it creates?
Psycho_X52
Is it just me? I understand that most people understand that a CMS optimises your site. A CMS is a site. You can't make a (let's say) php site and optimise it with a CMS. A cms is (mostly) a php site.

imagefree wrote:
Psycho_X52 wrote:
A CMS doesn't optimise your site. It is your site...a pre-optimised site system that allows you to manage your content easier. The most common CMS is joomla. It's easy to use and install. I think Drupal is better, but you’ll need some experience in CMS's.

Then what does DirectAdmin do?

DirectAdmin is a control panel. You can create/edit/delete, etc. databases, users, subdomains, mail accounts, upload files, manage site files, view stats...
A Content Management System works with a database to publish your content. If you want it can be called an extended blog.

imagefree wrote:
Can someone please help me, why to use CMS?

Have lots of content? Want to publish it? It’s easy: use *** CMS.

imagefree wrote:
What difference it creates?

If you already have a site you won’t have to install a CMS. It creates another site.

[EDIT]
I think I wrote a few times "A CMS is a site" but I never gave an example. Sad
My bad. My site uses Drupal (a CMS). See signature
virre
Acctually an CMS is a Content Manager System and thus I have written an personal CMS for my page as I wrote a program to save stuff to the db and handle it and so on.

The diffrence from blogsoftware is not that big but it is there.

It however as have been said has nothing todo with optimasion (well except that a good CMS should be written in a way that makes the search engines crawlers see what your page has in it's contens)

As for CMSs beeing php pages thats just trash. There may be many that are php avalible but as the amound of closed CMS probably are greater than we even can think there is other. I used to know one guy that wrote his own CMS software in Perl for example.
tahoestyle
Quote:
Some CMS will optimized your site... A good example of a CMS that will be a search engine friendly is Typo3 and ModX. I'm a Typo3 developer here in the Philippines and i found Typo3 a good CMS better than Joomla.. I think ... and ModX is the only CMS that uses Ajax for administration part.

I have taken the task of building a website for a friend who specializes in "driveway drains" - I have looked at Joomla! and siteground hosting (Joomla friendly) however I have noticed many recent issues with Joomla being hacked latley.

I will take a look at Typo3...you mention this is better than Joomla! I am hoping either Joomla! or Typo3 will work with this frihost acct - I guess my question is from a newbie point of view in CMS would Typo3 be a better route? What are the advantages and are there plugins that can be installed to enhance a site? Off to the Typo3 forums I go...any other information appreciated!

Thank You![/quote]
georgekalathil
Is these CMS softwares easy to use......
TrueFact
yes they are because they are meant to make easier to maintan and manage content on you site with out the need to any prior experience with web design or development.
The easiest that I every used was Xoops (www.xoops.org) its CP very simple and real clear and can't make you miss up with components, modules and other stuff. Install the module and control the Blocks they will appear in on your site pages. I tested Xoops for long time on FriHost and it was great.
nasif
Hey guys can anyone give more CMS which are commonly used???
FunDa
i use a Blog CMS on my site ( in fact it is my site ) and I also tried to add a forum CMS too

My site is www.fundazone.com and the pages that you see are all made through Wordpress - I just have to type in the content and Wordpress brings out the html and scripts.

Another type of CMS is the forum type (like PHPbb and SMF) which I unsuccessfully installed on my site and left to re install when I get some free time and the confidence....

If u are a beginner , I suggest u use Wordpress or any other blog CMS to make your site...
georgekalathil
Thanks friends, i have got a great response which are quite useful...thanks alot....
ronaldallan.mojica
if your new on Content management SYstem and you want to create an optimized page i suggest you to use drupal, wordpress, typo3 they are the top Content Management Software now.
infobankr
Wordpress, besides being a blog engine, is actually a pretty good CMS, but I use a customized XML CMS based on Nexista for a couple of my sites.

http://www.wordpress.org/

http://www.nexista.org/
tahoestyle
Using Joomla and only setting the site to be available online after only two months and I am ranked in the top 10 in yahoo search - pretty good to me!
Jaspa
Hi,

I've just been reading through these posts and it struck my that nobody has mentioned that with a cms, if you decide to change the look of your site, it can be easely done through the template system.

Or you can pick and chose which page has what sort of look by assigning a certain template to a certain page.

I have used Joomla! for a while now and find it quite straight forward. There is also a very large community in their forums for getting support. Recently though I have been looking into Modx, and TBH I'm finding it a lot easier to get to grips with than I did with Joomla. Modx doesn't have the same kind of 'large' communty YET! but the supprot is still good and the documentation is also very good.

Modx also run without any problems on Frihost! Very Happy
lerian
For new webmasters Joomla probably is the best choice for them
(I didn't meant that Joomla is for newbies only though, Very Happy )
They have a very large user base with so many communities around the world.
If you're not a speaking english people, you probably can still find Joomla community on your language. A big plus IMO.
FunDa
Which one is more secure ? I heard that phpNuke has many security issuers and can be easily hacked ...
Is Joomla better ?

Or, is it better to have just a blog CMS like Wordpress and add aforum to another folder - like phpBB or SMF ? Of those two, I think most people say SMF is much safer ...
frih
cms helps in organizing and creating our website very easily without knowing the HTML or other scripts. there are various cms available on the internet like joomla. i have installed joomla on my website. you can check it by clicking here-->www.abhi.frih.net/joomla . but i haven't modified the content of joomla. but i know how to install it. so if you need help just pm me.

have a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards
abhi Surprised
foRs
Im recommend use russian CMS system (Slaed.net) - very friendly CMS, not opensource.
On website you can get lite version (freeware), but PROversion only purpose trade.
manav
dude joomla is damn easy to install....

do put the search engine friendly url plugin....
mcapec
use sql injection tools.. in google.

want to hav econtact me
georgekalathil
Can anyone name some other CMS software apart from Joomla.
swizzy
georgekalathil wrote:
Can anyone name some other CMS software apart from Joomla.

Textpattern. The fastest. Simplest... and SEO out-of-box.. its install size is just around 300kb, but it has all the features you are going to require.
k_s_baskar
There is lot of GPL cms softwares avail in net. for your

you can get the complete list here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Open_source_content_management_systems

Smile
fabian-k
If you want the best CMS, you should use Typo3.
Typo3 - Nothing is impossible.

SEO was never as simple as in Typo3.
gcaughill
Hello George,

georgekalathil wrote:
Actually I have heard of Content Management Systems (CMS). I also know that they are helpful in optimizing our site. But I am not how it works and how to install it. Can anyone describe me the working and purposes of CMS. Also plz mention some of the major CMS softwares........

Major CMS':

1. Joomla. The one I use most at work. It is free and Joomla 1.5 has good built in SEO support. Also try one of the downloadable site map components.

2. Silverfish. Very simple and easy to use.

3. Go to http://www.opensourcecms.com/

And try out some of the ones listed there. It should be of help. As I have said, we use Joomla at work and I have done hundreds of sites with it. Joomla 1.5+ is a great, free tool. I have used SilverStripe some and other CMS' too, that is why I recommend going to the link above to learn more about the other major ones that I have not used personally.

Go with the right host and they will install the CMS for you.

Hope that helps.
liangei
my site http://likefree.co.cc