FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

avoiding win updates after reformat

Da Rossa
It's very sad that I have to download hours of security updates after formating the HDD and reinstalling Windows (XP Home SP2 integrated). But I heard rumors that I can create a boot CD with the bundled updates so it won't be necessary to redownload them after the process is complete. How to do that?
Thanks!
Animal
You can slipstream service packs and hot fixes using nLite, but this will only work if you have a legal retail version of Windows XP, and it requires that you download all of the hotfixes anyway. However, this will only have to be done once to incorporate the majority of security fixes that have been released so far.
Da Rossa
Thanks for this tip.

Edit: I tried NLite, followed two similar tutorials and couldn't get it working. I just don't find in the program the specific files it mentions for me to browse to and select, when regarding the SP2 Integration, Hotfixes and Drivers:
1- SP2: My copy already has SP2 integrated. So, should I ignore this step? Should I really uncheck the "Service Pack Integration"?
2- Hotfixes: As I see, I'm supposed to drag-n-drop the already installed hotfixes that have been downloaded along the time with windows update to this field. The problem is: I don't know how to do this, don't know the exact files responsible for those hotfixes.
3- Drivers: I don't know which are the files related to each hardware component, if it's a single dll, a group of .ini's, or whatever.

please help me! Wink
nhuabo
I advise you to use Ghost produced by Symentec.
You needn't reinstall os every time it broken,you can ghost your system.
You can ghost at any time,and restore your system at any time.
I think Ghost is a Great software to backup system.
Da Rossa
nhuabo wrote:
I advise you to use Ghost produced by Symentec.
You needn't reinstall os every time it broken,you can ghost your system.
You can ghost at any time,and restore your system at any time.
I think Ghost is a Great software to backup system.

I've heard about Ghost, but I never learnt how to use it. Some say that it's a little hard to get it, but then you do it almost automatically. And in this case it's not about a problem in the system, it's just that It's been more than a year since I formatted my hdd so I'd like a clean installation Razz
falconfx
Just want to include post-SP2 Hotfixes into your Windows XP installation disk?

Then have a look at this great site: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

You will find almost everything about custom Windows installations: from slipstreaming Service Packs and Hotfixes, to including your own drivers and preferred applications, which you will be able to use just from the first run of the newly-formatted operating system! Cool

Hope this will solve your problem Wink

Bye!
Da Rossa
falconfx wrote:
Just want to include post-SP2 Hotfixes into your Windows XP installation disk?

Then have a look at this great site: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

You will find almost everything about custom Windows installations: from slipstreaming Service Packs and Hotfixes, to including your own drivers and preferred applications, which you will be able to use just from the first run of the newly-formatted operating system! Cool

Hope this will solve your problem Wink

Bye!

I want not to include only the SP2-related hotfixes, but also ALL hotfixes installed so far. Will that be possible? Smile
falconfx
Da Rossa wrote:
I want not to include only the SP2-related hotfixes, but also ALL hotfixes installed so far. Will that be possible? Smile

AFAIK, every Service Pack contains all the hotfixes Microsoft has released before the SP itself.

So, if your installation CD has SP2 slipstreamed, you only have to download and include the post-SP2 hotfixes.

Visit the site I suggested you in the previous post to learn how to do this Wink

Good luck!
Da Rossa
Will do. Thanks!
badai
you can also use autopatcher. i think autopatcher is better than nlite. with nlite you have to download the update and slipstream it, everytime there is update available. with autopatcher, you just download and install

http://www.autopatcher.com
Da Rossa
I'll try it. I'm downloading the huge file, the Core (may), 305MB and the July update, with 38MB. Am I right? Afterwards, the process is as intuitive as nLite?
Thanks.
badai
english is not my first language so i can't really answer "the process is as intuitive as nLite" because i don't understand the question. but i can explain to you the different.

normal installation, everytime you install windows, you will go to windows update and download everything.

with nlite, everytime there is update available, you download it and slipstream it, and maybe you'll also burn it to cd. you windows installation is updated up to the last time you did the slipstream, you might need to go to windows update to download latest update, plus the trouble of slipstreaming everything.

with autopatcher, it just like the normal installation, the different, you already downloaded the whole update and just install it. so you save time and bandwidth.

i think nlite is a bit extreme, because you waste a lot of time slipstream every time there is update available. i used it before, and stop using it when i found autopatcher.
Da Rossa
I gave it a try, I downloaded and installed the core and the two updates (may, june and july). But the fact is: how do I create my .iso image with all the windows hotfixes, critical updates, recommended updates, etc etc? Smile
badai
you don't. you can just burn it as data and install it after you install windows on other PC.

if you want to create .iso image with all the windows hotfixes, critical updates, recommended updates, etc etc then you have to use nlite.
Da Rossa
Ok, but after I made the ordinary procedures, should I expect some files to be created somewhere, so I could burn as data? I didn't notice them Sad
badai
it's the autopatcher files that you downloaded that you should burn onto cd and carry it together with your windows installation.
Da Rossa
You mean these files?

AutoPatcher_WinXP_May07_x86_ENU_Core
AutoPatcher_WinXP_Jun07_x86_ENU_Update
AutoPatcher_WinXP_Jul07_x86_ENU_Update

I burn'em on a data CD then I'm done??
badai
yes. everytime u install windows, then install autopatcher.

like i said before, 3 ways of doing it

1. install windows, go to microsoft update

2. use nlite

3. install windows, install autopatcher.
Da Rossa
Thanks!
vln004
badai wrote:
yes. everytime u install windows, then install autopatcher.

like i said before, 3 ways of doing it

1. install windows, go to microsoft update

2. use nlite

3. install windows, install autopatcher.

nlite is probably the one that requires most work to do, however, it is also the one that works best