FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

need help with centOS 5 and Gnome Desktop

ammonkc
I built a new VMware server machine on centOS 5 yesterday and everything seemed to be fine. but I logged out of it today and when I logged back in it would not start Gnome desktop. It just loads the default desktop and I can't figure out how to start Gnome. I'm not even sure what desktop it is using now, I think it is called TWM, but it is very archaic and virtually unusable. I never ran into this problem with the centOS 4.4 installations that I had been doing before. did I do something wrong? or am I just missing something with centOS 5. I took a look at the /etc/X11/.xinitrc script and it looks like it checks for a ~/.Xclients script before it falls back to any defaults. But there is no .Xclients script there. I have no idea if this is the problem or not, but I'm kinda stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
qscomputing
Does the login screen have a menu to select which desktop you want?
mehulved
Try commenting that line and add the following line
Code:
exec gnome-session
ammonkc
I was poking around some more trying to find where the Gnome binaries were at. I could not find Gnome installed anywhere on the system. Is this possible? I had checked off the Gnome desktop box during the installation process. Gnome was there and installed as the default desktop for at least 3 days before it just disappeared. how this happened is just beyond me.
So I installed Gnome via yum with something like this and it seems to work fine:
Code:
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

What happened to the Gnome that was installed with the original OS install?