FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has there ever been a bad submarine movie?

HDirtwater
Not that I can think of (except for the stupid comedy with Kelsey Grammer).

Just finished watching Crimson Tide, which I think is every bit as good as Hunt for Red October. Both films keep you on the edge of your seat for the entire 2+ hours.

Of course, there's also Das Boot, which is the mother of all submarine movies (subtitles and all).

There's just something about the cramped, dark inside of a sub that makes for great drama. Any thoughts?
McDucque
Down Periscope was just hilarious..... not really.

Bad sub movie? There's gotta be some... this crappy giant squid type movie i cant remember the name of is one...

One that was iffy for me was U-571
wabik90
Hmmm.... I don't know because watching submarine movies is not my favourite way to spend my time, but I have seen "Hunt for Red October" few time and it's great Very Happy
Octaeder
U-571 was terrible.

It may have got away with the way in which it completely decided to rewrite history and make its own stupid bastardized version of events if it was even mildly entertaining or well written.

Instead it was just horrible.

Most do seem to be quite good though. Hunt for Red October and Das Boot especially.
Guyon
McDucque wrote:
Down Periscope was just hilarious..... not really.
Bad sub movie? There's gotta be some... this crappy giant squid type movie i cant remember the name of is one...

You can't mean 20,000 leagues under the Sea? Can you? I loved that as a kid! The book is awesome and Disney did a gret jog of adapting it for the technology at the time. Unless there was a movie about just giant squids in that cane, wold it be a submarine movie?
TurtleShell
I was on the chinatown bus for several hours once, stuck watching this terrible submarine movie. In the end half the people in the submarine died from radiation poisoning (not sure where the radiation was coming from, don't know much about submarines, really), and of course death by way of radiation poisoning is a terrible way to go...they were all in agony...it was one of those movies that just ends at the most awful time, on the most terrible possible note.
Fake
Generally any movie with Steven Seagal in it...especially if he is in all black on a sub marine Very HappyVery Happy
Tim Graham
Fake wrote:
Generally any movie with Steven Seagal in it...especially if he is in all black on a sub marine Very HappyVery Happy
Creatively framed so as to avoid showing the receding hairline..

There was a Bond one with Pierce Brosnan which had quite a bit to do with submarines..
DorFalla
Fake wrote:

There are any other kind?
twisthigh
Umm, I don't think I've ever seen one, unless Austin Powers 3 counts w/ Dr. Evil's submarine, and that movie was okay...??!!
scottycrip
Yes I was definitely going to mention Under Siege. Steven Seagal movies are dumb. But then again, I'm not the target audience for them...