FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CONTEST OVER

Ratmaster
CONTEST DONE, THANKS TO ALL THAT PARTICIPATED

OK, some people who are reading this may have seen the topic I made about coding and graphic making for frih$, but I forgot to include something, A LOGO! I also haven't thought out what I would want for the slogan of the site.

I HAVE FOUND THE WINNING SLOGAN THANKS TO CAPTAIN FERTILE!

This logo will only be accepted in flash, it may be excepted by image if the image has all of the possible qualities.

The shape will be squarish, the inside will be dark blue with Tech like text font saying Darkus Rattus. When the cursor is over the background, the cursor will disappear and when clicked on the background, there will be a ripple effect like a drop of water hitting a pool at the location of the click. No specific size it set. "The Darkus Hour is Just Before the Dawn" must be the slogan text below the site title and it will be shadowed to the background until the cursor is over the logo.

Font: http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=1327 (GUNSHIP)

The payout for all flash submissions will be between 25-100 frih$ that I did not officially choose for a winner.
The payout for all image submissions will be between 10-50 frih$ that I did not officially choose for a winner.

The winning flash submission will give you around 500-750 frih$.
The winning image submission will give you around 200-300 frih$.

I will only choose 1 winner between both images and flash submissions, so there will be a winner for one and not the other.

Start!
Urban
Free things always reward
Ratmaster
Urban wrote:
Free things always reward

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want something about contributing to and starting web based projects such as videos, software, ect.
Hammy
WebBase - Internets' Reliable Resource
wylieconlon
"Your designs. Your points. Your site."

About the banner- I think I can do that, but what dimensions are you looking for, in particular? And what color would the background of the site be in general, not just of the banner?
Ratmaster
Hammy wrote:
WebBase - Internets' Reliable Resource

Thanks for the suggestion, but the name is Darkus Rattus Projects, or something like that. Thanks anyway.

wylieconlon wrote:
"Your designs. Your points. Your site."

That was the closest I see to a slogan, I may choose this if I don't find anything else.

wylieconlon wrote:
About the banner- I think I can do that, but what dimensions are you looking for, in particular? And what color would the background of the site be in general, not just of the banner?

Thanks, I'll contact you after I choose the slogan.

Everyone PAID.
Ratmaster
This is still open...
Captain Fertile
Just letting my mind wander here:

"Putting the 'Storm' back into Brainstorm"
"The Ultimate Think-Tank"
"Matching Minds around the World"
"The Online Skills Collective"
"Their Problems, Your Skills, Our Solutions"
"A Crucible of Talents for the 21st Century"
"The Darkus hour is just before the dawn" Laughing
"The Solutions Store"

These may at least spark some ideas in others.

Good Luck!
Ratmaster
Captain Fertile wrote:

"The Darkus hour is just before the dawn"

YES!!!
THANK YOU!!! That is what I am looking for!

You win the 50 frih$, sending it now.

The logo info will be updated soon, thanks a lot.
Captain Fertile
Ratmaster wrote:
Captain Fertile wrote:

"The Darkus hour is just before the dawn"

YES!!!
THANK YOU!!! That is what I am looking for!

You win the 50 frih$, sending it now.

The logo info will be updated soon, thanks a lot.

Many thanks for the F$, I was suprised to have won but I am most delighted to have helped. Good luck again with the project. Cool
Ratmaster
Thanks. Smile

Logo info updated, please post your submissions here or PM them to me.
wylieconlon
So you've chosen the slogan, but it may be helpful if you posted specifications, so we can begin.
Ratmaster
wylieconlon wrote:
So you've chosen the slogan, but it may be helpful if you posted specifications, so we can begin.
First post in the flash logo directions.
wylieconlon
Alright, I may submit something if I have time. Any deadline?
Ratmaster
Well, I really need it soon, but first I am trying to get a font to work on my site.
wylieconlon
Ah right, one more thing- you can do rounded corners entirely in CSS, but not in Flash. It's technically possible, but not very easy.
Ratmaster
wylieconlon wrote:
Ah right, one more thing- you can do rounded corners entirely in CSS, but not in Flash. It's technically possible, but not very easy.
It doesn't have to be rounded then if it is easier.
ninjakannon
Right, I've had a go at creating what you wanted.

Here's a preview.

Tell me what you think.

I wasn't quite sure how you wanted the background so I've left it as one solid colour - there's quite a large blank space too. I can change this to whatever you want if you ask.
m-productions
ninjakannon wrote:
Right, I've had a go at creating what you wanted.

Here's a preview.

Tell me what you think.

I wasn't quite sure how you wanted the background so I've left it as one solid colour - there's quite a large blank space too. I can change this to whatever you want if you ask.

Id think you should make the waves go under the text.

@ratmaster

Id give it a try myself, but i just dont have the time.
ninjakannon
m-productions wrote:
Id think you should make the waves go under the text.

And I will, nice idea - thanks!

ratmaster: Just view the same link as before to view this update. I'll have that done and uploaded in 2 minutes.

EDIT:
I have to go for a while, I'll update it when I get back. Wink
Hammy
Heh, I think it should secretely count how many times someone clicks on it :p..

*rolls eyes*.. I didnt just think of that cuz i've just been sat here going crazy with the mouse button... Honest Very Happy
ninjakannon
I've updated it now. The ripples appear underneath the text.

Hammy wrote:
I think it should secretely count how many times someone clicks on it

It would be interesting to have a little counter that adds up the total number of clicks EVERYONE has made on there. Like a hit counter, only a click counter! Very Happy

And no, I didn't just have a clicking spree on there either... Cool
m-productions
another idea, no puddle would ever be the same like that, you should make an onLoad function, and make it have a random width/highth boost. so they look different.
Ratmaster
That looks great, except that I need it on the size of a logo, and could you make the ripples that are made after the clicking bigger, because I can't really see it. Any dark blue background would be fine, thanks.

And a click counter at the bottom right saying Total Logo Clicks: ### that can be there since I put the logo up and that counts for everyone.

If you can do all that, I will pay 800 frih$, but does the click thing have to be connected to a database?
wylieconlon
Yes, it would have to be connected to a database for that to work, at least to the best of my knowledge.
m-productions
it would be best to have that connected to a database, but it would not have to be, a simple .txt filing holding the information would also work.
Ratmaster
If a database connection is required, ninjakannon, please PM me once I am happy with your work and i will give you required information if you need it for the connection.
ninjakannon
Right, I've updated the logo again, what do you think of it?

m-productions wrote:
another idea, no puddle would ever be the same like that

Ratmaster wrote:
could you make the ripples that are made after the clicking bigger, because I can't really see it

I've made the ripples larger and added slight randomisation in their size too. If you want I can make them a bit lighter in colour so that they're more noticeable.

Ratmaster wrote:
Any dark blue background would be fine, thanks.

I'll leave that as it is then.

Ratmaster wrote:
And a click counter at the bottom right saying Total Logo Clicks: ### that can be there since I put the logo up and that counts for everyone.

I've added a counter and yes, it does use a database. m-productions was right, I could have also used a txt file. However, I prefer using a database merely because it's faster, and will update / return values much more quickly.
Unless you want to do it yourself, I'll gladly set up the database for you if you give me the required details via PM.

I'm assuming you want me to change the logo's size, but I'm not sure what size to make it. Currently it's at 400 x 265 pixels. What would you like me to change this to, if anything?
Oh, and I'll need to send you the php file somehow, you can download the swf and html file by saving them from my website.
Hammy
Might wanna move the Logo Clicks part more over to the left a bit .. because surprizingly as it seem,s it will probably get alot of click from users and will soon go off the side. lol
Ratmaster
It looks a little better, but it would be better about 2 times it's current size and its height cut in half.
The ripple sizes are great, but most of my site is dark, so it won't stand out much, can you make it a bit lighter?
The click counter is great, but why aren't the numbers in Gunship? And could they be moved further right?

You can send the files to me in zip when you are done and I like it, or I can send the frih$ and then you send the zip, and I send you the DB info.

Thanks.
wylieconlon
Just a suggestion- it would also be nice to hold down the mouse and have it keep clicking.
Captain Fertile
Hammy wrote:
Might wanna move the Logo Clicks part more over to the left a bit .. because surprizingly as it seem,s it will probably get alot of click from users and will soon go off the side. lol

I have to admit to taking the click count from just over 100 to just over 1000 - don't ask me why, I just need to get a life I guess. Embarassed

Now I will butt out and let you guys get on with the good work.
Ratmaster
Captain Fertile wrote:
Hammy wrote:

I have to admit to taking the click count from just over 100 to just over 1000 - don't ask me why, I just need to get a life I guess. Embarassed

Now I will butt out and let you guys get on with the good work.
Well, if I get that as my logo (well, when it is done) that may drive some traffic to my site, by just clicking the banner. Razz
ninjakannon
I've changed the logo again. Smile

Ratmaster wrote:
It looks a little better, but it would be better about 2 times it's current size and its height cut in half.

Okay, how does it look now?

Ratmaster wrote:
The ripple sizes are great, but most of my site is dark, so it won't stand out much, can you make it a bit lighter?

I've made the ripples lighter and also added a slight gradient to the background to add interest and make the ripples stand out even more over parts of it.

Ratmaster wrote:
The click counter is great, but why aren't the numbers in Gunship? And could they be moved further right?

The numbers are in Gunship. They do look a little odd though, and aren't as legible as the text. Would you like this changed somehow?
I've positioned the 'Total Logo Clicks' counter in such a place that it will allow 99,999 clicks without looking out of place. and 999,999 clicks might look a bit too far left. If you ever want it moving slightly then just contact me, or ask someone else who has flash to do it (I'll give you the fla file).

Ratmaster wrote:
You can send the files to me in zip when you are done and I like it, or I can send the frih$ and then you send the zip, and I send you the DB info.

Okay, well tell me what you think of my latest update - we're almost done now. Smile

Captain Fertile wrote:
I have to admit to taking the click count from just over 100 to just over 1000

Hah! So it was you! I was very surprised to see the count so high after leaving it at around 20 something. It's on over 1700 now!
Ratmaster
The size looks much better now, the only problem is the numbers mainly. Do you think that it may be like that because an exact number isn't added in the file? Because I tried getting someone to use WEFT and enable gunship on my site, but it didn't work. Please try to get it in gunship, but if you can't, you can use Helvetica.
ninjakannon
I know what was making the numbers look so odd. They were too small!

I played around with it a bit and now they show up much more clearly, but are larger. Is this still okay?
wylieconlon
I should mention something that I've found- if the person doesn't have Gunship installed, they may not be able to view it. I still see the numbers as Times New Roman. If you made them into Arial, there would be no problems with that.
Ratmaster
You can't embed gunship on a site, Hammy tried it for me.
Umm, just change the number font to something else that looks a little better like as said Arial or what I suggested before.
ninjakannon
wylieconlon wrote:
I should mention something that I've found- if the person doesn't have Gunship installed, they may not be able to view it. I still see the numbers as Times New Roman. If you made them into Arial, there would be no problems with that.

That's really weird, I embedded the font into the Flash movie so that it would display even if people didn't have the font. wylieconlon, is it only the numbers that you saw in Times New Roman? The "Total Logo Clicks" and "Darkus Rattus" text are both text objects too, however they are static text, not dynamic text (like the number).

Ratmaster wrote:
Umm, just change the number font to something else that looks a little better like as said Arial or what I suggested before.

Okay, I've used Arial to get around the problem. It looks fine now in my opinion.
Hammy
If 2 people are viewing it at the same time. (like it's its on the top of 2 people's page) .. if one clicks on it, will the other person be able to see it increase? lol
ninjakannon
Hammy wrote:
If 2 people are viewing it at the same time. (like it's its on the top of 2 people's page) .. if one clicks on it, will the other person be able to see it increase? lol

Yes they will. I thought that would be a nice thing to include; once per second the swf makes a call to the php file to update the number of clicks. So there will be a slight delay, but there's no point checking more frequently than once every second.
Ratmaster
OK, I am sending the payment now, please send me the files and the info you need to put it on the DB, and do you know how I can make it so it can be reset from the admin panel from a phpBB? I really don't need that if you can't do it.
ninjakannon
Ratmaster wrote:
OK, I am sending the payment now, please send me the files and the info you need to put it on the DB, and do you know how I can make it so it can be reset from the admin panel from a phpBB? I really don't need that if you can't do it.

Thanks, I've just sent you an email.

I do know how to reset it, I mean the coding wouldn't be that tricky. But it might take me a while to add that into phpBB as I would need to change a few of the template files. But I'm sure I could do it.

If you would like me to have a go then I'll need access to your phpBB admin panel. So, as I said in my email: change the password to something you don't mind me knowing and change it back when I'm done.

If you do want this done give me the details in your reply to my email - including the page you would like the reset button to be on, or if you would like a whole new page. I'll ask for some more FRIH$ too for that though. Wink
wylieconlon
Yes, it was only the numbers that had the problem.
Ratmaster
Thanks to all who participated in the Slogans and thanks to the people... err... person who participated in the creation of the flash logo.

Winners and rewards:
Slogan - Captain Fertile - 50 frih$
Flash Logo - ninjakannon - 800 frih$

Mods, please lock this thread, thanks!
ninjakannon
wylieconlon wrote:
Yes, it was only the numbers that had the problem.

Oh I see, thank you for telling me that. This must have been something to do with the numbers being dynamic (and controlled by ActionScript). I might look into this more.

Quote:
thanks to the people... err... person who participated in the creation of the flash logo.

And thank you for the FRIH$. Very Happy

Now I await payment for the modifications I made to your admin panel.
Ratmaster
ninjakannon wrote:

Now I await payment for the modifications I made to your admin panel.

I looked at it a few times and it looked like it was done, I just was awaiting the confirmation message from you. I'm sending most now, I'll give you the rest when I get the rest of the frih$. Thanks again!
Animal
Ratmaster wrote:
Mods, please lock this thread, thanks!

-close- as requested.