FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What do you think about the violent games' influences on kid






What do you think about the violent games' influences on kids
Good
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Bad
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
No influence
53%
 53%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 49

ConquerSockets
Hi,

I would like to ask everybody their opinion on violent games' influences on our childs and even on adults that plays.

Some studies proved that games are one of major cause of violent children.

The agressivity may grow up with the game and the lenght the kid or teenager or even the adult pass on playing the game.

Personally, I think it's true, because myself I've experienced this kind of situation.
I was playing Counter-Strike and after few hours, I've felt more agressive and wasn't pleasent with other peoples, but as a consciousness person, I can controle myself, but not everybody can...

Alexander.
Vrythramax
I didn't vote for the simple reason you left out one even more pesuasive element....television. Not all kids have a pc or a game console, but just about every house has a television. Some of the things they have on tv now rival any video game ever made.

Could that not also be an influence?
Davidgr1200
Despite playing games such as Counterstrike I have never felt the need to actually kill anyone. I think it has a lot to do with HOW you play the game. Now if you used a gun to shoot with instead of a keyboard or mouse then I would be more worried. But most of what I've heard about the subject suggests that the people who go and do things based on computer games have something wrong with them. They would have done something similar anyway.
As the other guy said, TV is probably more of an influence. Shame we can't do an experiment. Take away all violent programs from American TV for a year and see what happens to the statistics for people shooting each other.
wombatrpgs
I do not think videogames are the cause of violence. Bad parenting and other media is mostly to blame. Today's kids are influenced by things other than videogames as well.

Although some videogames might not exactly be a good influence on kids, the vast majority of them are fine. Many people are being alarmist about videogames, condemning things that really don't hurt at all. Have a look at this:

http://nintendo.about.com/od/screenshots/ig/The-62--Violent-Pac-Man/The-62--Violent-Pac-Man.--2e.htm

And videogamers are out of touch with reality? Anyone condemning videogames as the problems with our youth have too much time on their hands. Aren't there better ways to solve problems than by finger pointing?
sonicj
I used to buy in to this theory, but not anymore. I did not buy my son a game system until he was in 1st grade, even though his friends and cousins had them at a very young age, and the first one I bought him was a used nintendo game. I did this because I thought they would be less violent. Now he has about every system there is. His interest has even gotten me into playing some MMO's online.

I am very involved in my son's life. I have noticed more of an influence from his friends at school than any video game he has ever played. I think if a person that plays video games is showing some sort of aggressive behavior, it is not necessarily the game. It could be other things happening in that persons life. They probably need some outlet to get things off their chest and either don't have that or are not making use of what is available.

Having said all the above, I do think some games are going too far, and are targeting ages they should not be.
Vrythramax
This all simply re-enforces what I have stated repeatdly in the irc channel....those who play the games will say no, and those who don't will say yes.
ConquerSockets
Vrythramax wrote:
I didn't vote for the simple reason you left out one even more pesuasive element....television. Not all kids have a pc or a game console, but just about every house has a television. Some of the things they have on tv now rival any video game ever made.

Could that not also be an influence?


Hi,

I agree that television is also a source of violence (mostly for teenagers?)
Violent movies that kids looks may make them agressive.

But in another point of view, I think that the parents are responsible of their own kids and know what is good or bad for them till the age they are mature enough.

So they can really see if their child (or if themselve) can really watch or play that kind of games/movies?
catscratches
I like violent games Wink They're a relief so that I don't feel the urge to get real blood as much. So in my case, I guess it's the other way. Makes me less violent, at least towards myself.

Maybe I should play more games =P
Japokskee
I guess it depends on which or level of violence

There are some games that may look like violent but kinda funny.

For me i will not let my son play those really violent games. I know my son will surely act and behave like what he sees in those games.

sometimes i feel the same way. but of course we adults can easily control ourselves compared to kids.

so for me it a no no
Vrythramax
Now this going to be a great topic, it should bring opinions from both sides...if people care to post.

I'd like to address two comments, the first of which is the responsibility of parents to monitor what thier children watch.

ABSOLULTY! There is too much out there that can warp a fragile mind and I think it is the DUTY of any parent to protect their children from harm of ANY kind....physical or mental.

The other was a comment that said "somtimes violence is funny" (not an exact quote), speaking as a decorated Veteran of the Military I can assure you with all certainty that there is absolutly no time when violence is fun, not funny. This poster and others (this was a big topic in the IRC cannel) only reinforce the fact that these games do indeed create a callousness towards violence. Just because you have never actually picked up a gun and shot someone in real life does not mean that if your senses ae bombarded with simulated violence that you will not be prone to act that way if the situation arises.

Violence is by nature a part of our lives, whether one chooses to welcome it, confront it, or run from it, up to the individual.....but to indure your children with gratutious violence somply to keep them occupied IMO is not good parenting.
ConquerSockets
Hey all,

catscratches:

I like your point of view that says that if you feel agressive toward something or even toward life, playing violent games kill peoples virtually or watch other peoples do it may calm you down, because you satisfied your agressivity.

Vrythramax:

I like your way of thinking about that parents should 'ABSOLULTY!' care about what their childrens do...
And thats really true... it always depends on your situation in life.. like you said about military...

I personally have a friend that died in Afganistan war and he said to the question that some journalist asked him:
Question: Are you scared of war?
Answer: If you are not, you must be crazy...

Alexander.
Ducksteina
That's a tricky question. You can't really answer it imo, because there are not enough scientific results regarding this question.

However, I don't think video games have such a big influence on people.
If you're a normal person and play these violent games, you sure won't get a psycho just by playing it.
However, if you're already a strange person and you're fragile and play such violent games, then you're maybe a risk.

But this is no reason to forbid such games! A violent movie or maybe even a violent book sure does the same.

It's parent's business in my opionion. They have to know if their child should play those games or not. But forbidding them in general is just silly..
Zeferman
Like all games they’re just a bit of fun, and how violent is violent?
What’s to say Pikachu electrocuting another Pokémon, is anymore violent than hitting someone on GTA?
Violents is everywhere and can be more influencing in many different forms, video games are just the tip of the iceberg and there are alot worse things that happen in the world and is all over the news.
kazikame
Video games are no more influential on children than TV and movies. There is no reason at all to single out video games.
David_Pardy
As a person lucky to have grown up playing violent video games (my first taste was Wolfenstein 3d) and knowing others who grew up with the violent games, I say a big fat NO they do not encourage violence in kids.

Think back to your OWN childhood. What was the #1 cause of fights and squabbles at school? Bullying and selfishness. Where do these kids learn these traits from? Their parents, through lack of discipline and sadly in a lot of cases, broken families.

My first reaction to playing violent video games was simply that I was horrified by the (simulated) blood. It didn't make me want to go out and beat someone up, although playing Mortal Kombat taught me how to sweep peoples legs out which certainly helped me out when some kid started on me at school.

I agree that there are many games with questionable content (violence, language, sex, etc.) but guess what - these games follow a ratings system, just like movies!

I would say that 75% of my time playing games has been killing things in usually a gory fashion (the other 25% is playing games like Theme Hospital, Transport Tycoon, Civilisation, etc.). I can shoot a bow in real life, I have used fire-arms when I was much younger, and I always had a fascination with pretend sword fights and trying to NEVER touch the opponent because it hurts!!
gh0stface
kazikame wrote:
Video games are no more influential on children than TV and movies. There is no reason at all to single out video games.

Actually, violent video games do influence the mind of children some what. For gory first person shootem video games, it can desensitize the player from shying away from the blood of the killings. The military is even starting to utilize video games more just for that fact. If it can help desensitize soldiers, they are quicker to shoot the enemy without feeling as bad.

Now, I don't blame everything entirely on violent video games. I've played plenty of them since I was in high school up to college. I believe environment also has a large role to play. Such as where you live, how you were brought up by your parents, and what type of friends you have.
ThornsOfSorrow
I think that the answer to this question depends on the personality of the child, as well as how their parents are raising them. First of all, I don't think that kids should be exposed to violent games, movies, or television shows during the years when they are most impressionable. While simply playing a game may not cause them to be violent, allowing a child to play something like "Grand Theft Auto" doesn't help teach them that violence is wrong.

Although I've never played them as a child, I can play violent games without feeling the need to go out and shoot someone in real life. In fact, I tend to play these games when I'm stressed and need a way to vent. So, as catscratches said, fake violence can deter real violence. I tend to throw less things across my room this way. Smile

For those people who aren't like myself and catscratches, I think games can reinforce violent behavior in children if they're impressionable enough. I've heard of people driving a lot faster after playing Gran Turismo, so I'm sure it's possible for others to be more angry/violent after playing a violent video game. Either way, it's up to the parents to pay attention to the ratings and know what their kids are playing.
Vrythramax
@ThornsofSorrow

You make a very valid point, but I never claimed that playing these game actually made you want to go out and commit acts of violence. But you must admit, that even as an adult that looks to simulated vilolence as a means of "venting", can you say that in someway the behavior displayed in these games could not have an am impact on a real-life situation?

How one acts, either as an an adult or a child, is influenced by their surroundings. Which is not to say that having good parenting skills won't produce another Hitler or Jeffrey Dahmer. As once said in a movie "you can get a horse to deal cards if you stick a cattle-prod up it's a**, it's not a matter of training....just voltage".

The point I am trying to make is by subjecting children to garatuitous vilonce as a means of entertainment, is just another form of voltage. I just believe that if you are subjected to enough violent behavior, it's going to have some affect, it doesn't matter if it's movied, video games, or even basic military training....it does have an impact on how we think, maybe not on a conciouse (sp?) level, but certainly how we may react to a given situation.
divinitywolf
well you cant really say its good or bad. I think it depends on the child. Thats why they rate games because they think that some may not be mature enough to handle the influence. I mean i know a lot of people who play violent games and it doesnt affect them in the slightest but i saw on the internet of a case where 2 people played a violent game and then went out onto the street and started shooting actual people with a paintball gun. Its up to the parents ultimately to decide whether their kids are repsonsible enough to play the games without them being influenced. If the parents think they would get violent then the parents should disallow violent games straight away otherwise it leads to them murdering people or generally becoming a bad person when they're older which isn't what this society needs.
alexdude
It might be a good thing that kids are playing violent video games instead of doing it in real life.
ConquerSockets
markode wrote:
Franchement, j'ai 2 enfants encore très jeunes pour jouer à des jeux vidéos, mais est ce vraiment un mment de détente de jouer à des jeux violents ? Je ne pense pas, je ne pesne pas que ce genre de jeux fasse évoler dans le bon sens les mentalités, de plus les créateurs de ce genre de jeux ne repondent pas forcément à un besoin mais sucite le besoin de volience gratuite. Mieux vaut des jeux de réflexions, permettant aux personnes de réfléchir tout en gradant une interactivité ainsi qu'un design très beau plutôt que de la violenc gratuite.

mark


Heyy! It's french?!!

It's ok don't worry guys, I've made you a translation of this paragraph! There it is:

Honestly, I have two children that are too much young to play video games, but is playing violent video games really relaxing? I don’t think so; I don’t think that this kind of games makes kid’s mentality evolve in the right direction. Moreover, the creators of this kind of games do not meet the consummators’ requests, but brings to mind the need of free violence. By letting peoples thinking and by its interactivity, reflexion games are much better. Their design are much beautiful compared to the free violence.

mark


Next time, post in english!! Shocked

Alexander.
JBotAlan
I don't think that video games influence children as much as we say they do--I mean, look at me! I played Grand Theft Auto 2 for hours; yet you do not see me running around shooting people with an Uzi, stealing their car and ramming it into cop cars, now do you?

The reason video games and their creators are blamed is that the parents do not want to admit they screwed up. What you see in today's society is a direct result of crappy parenting.

Parents, teach your kids right from wrong. Then we won't have this problem.
An_Apple
ConquerSockets wrote:
Hi,

I would like to ask everybody their opinion on violent games' influences on our childs and even on adults that plays.

Some studies proved that games are one of major cause of violent children.

The agressivity may grow up with the game and the lenght the kid or teenager or even the adult pass on playing the game.

Personally, I think it's true, because myself I've experienced this kind of situation.
I was playing Counter-Strike and after few hours, I've felt more agressive and wasn't pleasent with other peoples, but as a consciousness person, I can controle myself, but not everybody can...

Alexander.


Well,i do not wanna say that i am against this sort of games,say,violent games,but actually,for kids,they should play games that are suited for their age.it's harmful for kids to play violent games.

Besides,we need differentiate between reality and the world of games.thank you.
HollyK
I think it varies based on a few factors, such as the maturity of the teen. Some can't handle it, and for some it works to blow off steam.
Whong
It definitely has influence, and it is most certanly negative! Children shouldn't play violent games, I'm a 17-year-old boy, but I don't see it as anything good for little children to play violent games. It just isn't good.

I don't play that much violent games, but of course GTA is one of those which I play and I think that kids shouldn't play them!
romaop
I think family influence is vital to balance the games and television violence industry. For those who have actually no parents and spend too much time on violent games, it might be bad. It might be a sign of a violent familiar environment which is even worse than the video games.
In a time where people tend to be tolerant, I think tolerance is becoming too dangerous, when violence is invading too much our homes. And why don't we ask why are there internet games that promote stealing, drug dealing, ... Those who make them aren't commiting a crime? Violent virtualization can be a crime? I think yes because kids may have access to it.
skygaia
I have seen many children who have fallen in online game. And the games are so violent, I think..
I can't say exactly how much the games make an influence on them. But in my experience, surely the games could make an influence on the childredn enjoying it.
Ghost Rider103
I think it does have some effect to the person that plays the game.

However, I think that the person that becomes violent after playing the video game, already has problems, and playing the game just helps him become violent.

I do not believe you can just take your average healthy person, have him play a very violent game, and expect him to go on a killing spree. I just don't see it like that.

Im sure these violent people have already had a history of some anger management, and or some mental issues, and playing the game just helps get them going.
Guelila
wombatrpgs wrote:
I do not think videogames are the cause of violence. Bad parenting and other media is mostly to blame. Today's kids are influenced by things other than videogames as well.

Although some videogames might not exactly be a good influence on kids, the vast majority of them are fine. Many people are being alarmist about videogames, condemning things that really don't hurt at all. Have a look at this:

http://nintendo.about.com/od/screenshots/ig/The-62--Violent-Pac-Man/The-62--Violent-Pac-Man.--2e.htm

And videogamers are out of touch with reality? Anyone condemning videogames as the problems with our youth have too much time on their hands. Aren't there better ways to solve problems than by finger pointing?


Thanks for the link
I went to that link and read the whole article, and I agree with the article.
It was pretty interesting to view this matter in that way. Smile
raine dragon
To some degree desesitation does occur when repeatedly viewing violent actions. Now, I'm not saying that playing video games is going to make some one a killer. I'm also not saying that watching death in a movie/game is a strong as seeing it in real life, however, to some degree it is going to happen. Just as a soldier becomes accustomed to being a soldier, a person submitted to watching violence becomes accustomed to it.

Now, the key factor is at what age someone can truly and completely separate the actions in the game from real social actions. It is not something that children can do at birth, and you see many examples of this in small children and toddlers who will insist that what they watch on TV, or what they dream is actually real. In fact I still remember a dream I had about a park when I was a child. I actually asked my mother about it many years later and she said there had NEVER been a park within walking distance of my grandmother's house, yet as far as I can remember I went to that park. I know logically now that it was a dream, but I didn't know for years.

Thus, I think there is some small basis in the argument that socialization of very young children can be incorrect if they are submitted to media which shows violence in a 'realistic' manner and setting.

However, that would not be the game's fault. That would be a lack on the part of the parent for permitting such a young child to engage in non-age appropriate activities. Especially in a society where we label such media with ratings based on content. There is no way that anyone ought to be blaming any game/movie if they are showing something that is rated R to a toddler.
TruPain
Im too lazy to read through all of the posts here... but overall, I think that violent games have little to no influence on kids that play them depending upon, HOW THE PARENTS RAISE THEIR KIDS!

Yes, it is a sad fact, that if kids have a TV and Violent Video Games "baby sitting" them all day and parents that simply do not take care of their kids, there is a good chance that the kids "may" become violent... but I feel this is mainly because they crave "real life" interaction,. and perhaps only feel as though they need to do something drastic to get their parents to "see them" again.

Anyone who blames video games or music for their pathetic care of their kids is just that, pathetic.

My daughter plays games such as Mortal Kombat and GTA... issue here is, she knows the difference between a game and real life. And my daughter and myself spend a lot of time together, so she gets that interaction... which sadly, it seems as though some parents could really care less about their kids... and that to me, is where the problem lies...
justnewbie
ConquerSockets wrote:
Hi,

I would like to ask everybody their opinion on violent games' influences on our childs and even on adults that plays.

Some studies proved that games are one of major cause of violent children.

The agressivity may grow up with the game and the lenght the kid or teenager or even the adult pass on playing the game.

Personally, I think it's true, because myself I've experienced this kind of situation.
I was playing Counter-Strike and after few hours, I've felt more agressive and wasn't pleasent with other peoples, but as a consciousness person, I can controle myself, but not everybody can...

Alexander.


Great topic to discuss on! Honestly I felt that the more controversial the game/movie is, the audience will like it even more. Originally we, the normal people could differentiate between reality and games, but of course there's some pyschotic guys that think it could be well experiment these violent acts in games into reality. Take the recent controversial game, Grand Theft Auto- sure you all knew about it.. and man! I loved that game really much- even looking forward for the newest series for the PC version, despite how violent the game is. Somehow, it's really fun blowing up cars in streets, ain't you think?

OK, that's Grand Theft Auto, how about Postal or Manhunt? That's a real gore-in-a-game. Hey, because Postal is the second most controversial game, I've even taken a chance to try out Postal 2! I would be happy to try Manhunt, but too bad I don't have the time yet... Maybe it's not that fun as Grand Theft Auto, but still, it's great I could discover what kind of acts I could do inside the game- like the kinds of- chopping people's head off, pissing over your dad's grave, popping cats with shotguns..somehow really impressed as well!

Of course everyone agrees that violent games bring much negative influence to the kids, but hey, everyone likes that kind of game! Am I right?
apple
I admit that I did not read through all the posts on this topic as some were very long. Rolling Eyes

I also admit that games these days are very violent. However, I look at the point that we live in a very violent age. Television, books and the media constantly bring violence to our homes and lives.
I have an 11 year old son and tho like most parents I want what's best for him, I let him watch the violence and even play the games he has (that I find to extreme). Why? When I was growing up, life was different and significantly less was required of me as a child. Now our kids have to be constantly aware of what is going on around them cause reality is equally and at times much more violent than the games they play. I personally allow it so he won't be caught off guard when he has to face reality.
wombatrpgs
apple wrote:
I have an 11 year old son and tho like most parents I want what's best for him, I let him watch the violence and even play the games he has (that I find to extreme). Why? When I was growing up, life was different and significantly less was required of me as a child. Now our kids have to be constantly aware of what is going on around them cause reality is equally and at times much more violent than the games they play. I personally allow it so he won't be caught off guard when he has to face reality.


I would think that this would be harmful to a child as far as reality goes... A violent age does not justify violent games, I believe they become more harmful as the environment becomes increasingly violent. For instance, a child may be shocked at the violence in a game, and then go on to see horrific sights in the news, and realize, "Hey! That's not so bad... Not after my game." It desensitizes children to the world around them. Rather than being apalled at real-life violence, it simply becomes an uncomfortable part of the routine.

But then again, I'm not a parent. Your judgement is probably better than mine on this...
ConquerSockets
wombatrpgs wrote:

But then again, I'm not a parent. You're judgement is probably better than mine on this...


Hi,

This is another good point. I think that opinion may vary depending on what the parent had live in his childhood..

Maybe he don't want to be as protector as his own parents so he want his childs be more free and let them watch these violent movies, for example.
But again, are they conscious on their acts?

Alex.
mstreet
I feel that parents need to be more active in what their children watch on tv and what video games they do play. I also think they should be monitoring how much time is spent on video games and watching television. I think kids need to be more active and play outside and use imagination. Nothing wrong with playing pretend cops and robbers, they are creating stories in their heads and thinking of what they are doing a video game is usually just a shoot them up.
Vrythramax
I think the "opinion" matters, or borders, on so much good parenting skill as much if they play the games themselves.

As I have stated, and this topic has proved, the people who play these games will say they have no affect....and the people that don't will say they do.

It's a no win battle....and I think the topic should be closed.
carlospro7
I do not think that it has any influence on kids. I grew up playing such games when I was little and it had no effect on me. I think it rather has to do with your surroundings, or in other words, the people you spend time with and you look up to. My older brother has also grown up playing those same games, and they no effect on him. I looked up to him and we both turned out fine... Nope no effect in my opinion and experience
wombatrpgs
Vrythramax wrote:
As I have stated, and this topic has proved, the people who play these games will say they have no affect....and the people that don't will say they do.

It's a no win battle....


Its very possible that this is the case. However, perhaps you are confusing cause and effect. The ones who actually play these games may play only because they believe that the games have little effect on their perception and behavior. Those who do not play violent games may only do this because they believe the games will negatively affect them.

Although I believe your hypothesis is more likely, as anyone who enjoys these games will of course claim that videogames are irrelevant and parenting is to blame, and those who believe games have a negative influence really haven't experienced it.

Also, I'm interested to hear the opinions of those who voted 'Positive' on the poll. How do violent games positively affect children's behavior? This seems rather contradictory to all of the discussion.
yfan624
i say is good, it teaches them a life listen not to mess around on the streets, where specially you live in a hood> :O
wombatrpgs
yfan624 wrote:
i say is good, it teaches them a life listen not to mess around on the streets, where specially you live in a hood> :O


You're assuming the children are repulsed by this violence... By 'violent games,' it is indicated that violence leads to positive or neutral outcomes, not that there's some sort of karma system in a game where you are instantly killed after beating someone up... Remember that half this issue is the glorification of violence, and desensitization through the violence. This in a way attracts children to the street. They really could care less about inflicting violence after seeing it in these games, and also believe that things like street races and fights are allright after exposure to these things. It ends up warping what their ideas are of social norms.

Of course, this is all assuming that games really do affect children. If they do not, then the whole positive/negative point is moot. And you are obviously assuming games affect, and therefore, the above requirement is filled.

And I don't really expect any reply or followup to this as it seems you are running around General Chat posting unsupported, rather ignorant opinions... But never mind...
LukeZone
Quote:
As of 1996, only 8 peer-reviewed studies had been conducted on the connection between violence and violent video games among children (in contrast, in the same year, there were 49 studies of quantum teleportation, a particularly esoteric field of advanced physics). Of these 8 studies, 4 found definite correlations, 3 found no relationship at all, and one found effects for girls but not for boys. A more recent study by Dr. Jeanine Funk, reported an apparent negative correlation for the 10 years old subjects.

This study involved first administering a personality test to the subject, and then observing their selection of video games from a number of games available. Those subjects who preferred violent video games scored higher on the Internalization and Anxious Depressive scales and tended to be withdrawn rather than aggressive. Those who preferred nonviolent video games scored higher on the Delinquent Behaviors scale and tended to be more aggressive. On the surface, this appears to indicate that children who prefer non-violent video games are violent now, whereas children who prefer the violent games either express their aggressive tendencies through the video game, or become ticking time bombs, ready to explode at some later date. Does this mean we should encourage our children to play violent video games? Well, I wouldn't go that far. But it certainly seems to indicate that video games are not the root of all violence.

gh0stface wrote:

If you plan on copy and pasting an excerpt from an article, please use the quote tags and give credit where it is due. I advise you to re-read the FAQs and the rules of these forums.

Found excerpt at: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1065036
Vrythramax
LukeZone wrote:
Quote:
As of 1996, only 8 peer-reviewed studies had been conducted on the connection between violence and violent video games among children (in contrast, in the same year, there were 49 studies of quantum teleportation, a particularly esoteric field of advanced physics). Of these 8 studies, 4 found definite correlations, 3 found no relationship at all, and one found effects for girls but not for boys. A more recent study by Dr. Jeanine Funk, reported an apparent negative correlation for the 10 years old subjects.

This study involved first administering a personality test to the subject, and then observing their selection of video games from a number of games available. Those subjects who preferred violent video games scored higher on the Internalization and Anxious Depressive scales and tended to be withdrawn rather than aggressive. Those who preferred nonviolent video games scored higher on the Delinquent Behaviors scale and tended to be more aggressive. On the surface, this appears to indicate that children who prefer non-violent video games are violent now, whereas children who prefer the violent games either express their aggressive tendencies through the video game, or become ticking time bombs, ready to explode at some later date. Does this mean we should encourage our children to play violent video games? Well, I wouldn't go that far. But it certainly seems to indicate that video games are not the root of all violence.

gh0stface wrote:

If you plan on copy and pasting an excerpt from an article, please use the quote tags and give credit where it is due. I advise you to re-read the FAQs and the rules of these forums.

Found excerpt at: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1065036


I also advise reading the rules....simply quoting without making a comment on your own isn't a good thing.
knight_frost
i do think that violent computer games influences the young minds. In a research conducted few years ago, i have read that children exposed to this kind of things became more uncontrolable, unable to talk to and unable to sleep!!!....
anime
well i like this Replay



Quato : I think that the answer to this question depends on the personality of the child

yea that what i think too it depends on his personality if he was good raised Kid he wont find Any problems



thanks
apple
wombatrpgs
My comments are entirely based on the personality and maturity of my son and the relationship we share.
When I was a kid, life was different, more easy going, if you get me. In the past 10 years I have seen a drastic change in my society and human interactions etc, they have not all been good. Actually most of them have been bad/negative.
Thus, I do not think video games can corrupt or influence my kid any more negatively than looking at the evening news or reading the newspaper.
In my country violence seems to be everywhere and there is no safe place really. Some of the conversations I have with my kid are frowned upon by other relatives and friends, but I don't really take them on cause I think having too much information is much better than having too little!

I must confess that my response was not only based on video games, they were based on the current state of society and what information and experiences I should or should not protect my kid from. Rolling Eyes
wombatrpgs
apple wrote:
wombatrpgs
My comments are entirely based on the personality and maturity of my son and the relationship we share.

I must confess that my response was not only based on video games, they were based on the current state of society and what information and experiences I should or should not protect my kid from. Rolling Eyes


It seems that this whole issue comes down to the personality of the child in question and the environment that the child resides in... No one can judge another's situation perfectly. I wonder if the games a kid plays become more of an environment for that child than the world around them, but I suppose that's the threshold of obsession. I'd think harm only comes when reality becomes alterred due to the game, that would mark when judgement is impaired. A strong person wouldn't exactly be affected by what they played if they are already confident in themselves and show a certain level of maturity. The true vulnerability, I think, comes when the child is too young or insecure that the videogame becomes more constant than the environment.



I've certainly seen enough crazed 6-year-olds pretending to enact violent games. But is this really harmful? Doesn't everyone pretend something at that age? Or does this reality replace something more benign? And this becomes more of an issue when the parent is weak and spoils their child... Buying inappropriate games against betterjudgement to satisfy your offspring really does seem harmful.
vonboy
i don't feel like reading all the replies, so if somebody already said this, sorry.

i think violent video games are in a way good because they help you vent out your anger. if like somebody shoved you at school, you could just play some shooter for a little while, and get rid of that little bit of anger, so it won't just build up until you get into a fight or something

the only problem i see is that little children might get the feeling that this is real life, and be more likely to do bad stuff, but then the parents should moderate what thier child plays, or atleast have a talk with them, and tell them that video games don't represent what happens in realy life.
judgehawk
Some people seek to attack games simply because it gives them status. Such people, for instance the cultural ambulance chaser himself, Mr Jack Thompson, cite papers on the subject that claim that violent videogames give children the ability and motivation to commit violent crime. If this is the case, it should work with all games, not just violent ones. So in playing Mario, I have a feeling that I will soon really want to jump on peoples heads. I also really enjoy playing FIFA. I'm not holding my breath for the Chelsea contract...
skygaia
There are lots of researchs for influence of violent games on children.
As I know, all research said it's very seriously to children. most of games are adicted so it might influence badly on children
CMA
I'm speaking through personal experience here.

This largely relates to the capacity one child has to be influenced (or not) by the games he/she plays.
I'm not a violent person (at all!), though I finished the original DOOM at the age of 8 or 9. And still during my childhood, I played the original MORTAL KOMBAT a lot.

Oh, and I've let my little sister play GTA while she was 10 or 11 or something... She loved to go around setting things on fire and running over people. And still, since she realized it was just a game, it had no effect on her at all.

Go figure... Anyone with half a brain to tell between reality and fiction won't be influenced that easily by a videogame.
Emmer-Compascuum
I can't speak for every child, as every child is different. But in my personal experiences, playing violent games had a pretty good influence (well, sort of good then). I used to throw my toys around if I was angry as a little kid, but when I got my first shooter game, I could just shoot a few virtual enemies and the anger was over.
The only bad influence I've noticed, is that in my mind I 'auto aim' for these things in my mind whenever I see a car, since I played Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas:


In my opinion, forbidding violent games/television/whatever makes violence even more attractive, just like smoking and drinking is 'cool', simply because it's only allowed for the grown ups.
polly-gone
Video games have no influence of people's behavior and studies have shown that. I bet the studies that most people are ones that aren't scientifically accurate.

One study that said that violent video games are violent was way inaccurate. Here's how it worked. THey brought in 30 people. 15 played the ORGINAL Doom for an hour and the other 15 played a puzzle game for an hour. Guess what the results were? Violence made people violent. What does that prove though? Comapring Bejeweled to Doom is like comparing an Apple to a Hand Grenade.

The really accurate studies show WHO got aggresive and WHY. What they would do, is find people and do extensive backgrounds on them. Find past history of aggression, ask friends and family if this person is aggresive, etc. Then, they had the people come in everyday for two weeks and play action games for 2 hours. Afterwards, they found out who felt aggressive. You know who was aggressive afterwards? Only people who are naturally aggresive.

But if you really look at it, even if videos games do make people aggressive, (I am not saying that they do) what about all the other sources? Sure, a killer might play Halo 3 an hour a day everyday, but then they watch a horror movie, and action movie, and the news everday. You really can tell where that source of aggression is. People shouldn't be so quick to judge video games.

-Nick Cool Cool Cool
CMA
Emmer-Compascuum wrote:
In my opinion, forbidding violent games/television/whatever makes violence even more attractive, just like smoking and drinking is 'cool', simply because it's only allowed for the grown ups.


Exactly.
Putting too much limitations on a child or young teen actually makes things worse, because younger people tend to do things they KNOW that are bad/forbidden, because of the thrill they get out of it. If a certain thing (like a violent videogame) is distributed freely without anyone nagging about how badly it can influence kids and how EVIL it is, then it'll pass as something common and there won't be as much interest.

Which is exactly why I didn't place that many limitations on my sister when she was younger (I used to spend more time with her daily than my parents, so I had a certain control over things around her). The only thing I insisted on keeping away from her was porn.
If she was curious about something I knew that was violent or particularly scary for a girl her age, I'd simply warn her in advance (and tell her briefly what it was all about), then ask her if she was sure she wanted to see it (and respect her decision). And that's about it. Nowadays I'm glad to say that even if she used to hang around with girls who were obviously bad influences for her, she was always able to see for herself that they were wrong and stayed away from trouble.
wombatrpgs
CMA wrote:
Emmer-Compascuum wrote:
In my opinion, forbidding violent games/television/whatever makes violence even more attractive, just like smoking and drinking is 'cool', simply because it's only allowed for the grown ups.


Exactly.
Putting too much limitations on a child or young teen actually makes things worse, because younger people tend to do things they KNOW that are bad/forbidden, because of the thrill they get out of it. If a certain thing (like a violent videogame) is distributed freely without anyone nagging about how badly it can influence kids and how EVIL it is, then it'll pass as something common and there won't be as much interest.


I'd say the real problem is a numbness to violence, not actual aggression on the part of the child. If you witness a murder every day onscreen, what's the big deal about an 'actual' murder? Of course, the deal is when someone becomes so absorbed in a game that they cease to separate reality from their digital life. This, however, could be solved by time limits on violent games...? (Not extreme, but not having the game being the ONLY thing in the kid's life.) It would seem that negates the glorifying violence aspect, as the child doesn't see violence as mature, but also knows that the game isn't real life.

And anyone young enough to think that a violent game is in any way real shouldn't have the game. Things like children under six with Saint's Row or something just doesn't make sense. If a parent is plainly negligent in that sense, and is actually there to teach the child the difference between reality and fantasy, then everything should be fine.
liljp617
People back in the day also said books were a bad influence. They also said rock n roll was the work of Satan. Come on now...can we seriously not get past this crap?

skygaia wrote:
There are lots of researchs for influence of violent games on children.
As I know, all research said it's very seriously to children. most of games are adicted so it might influence badly on children

So can watching the evening news.
Donutey
I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal, it just depends on the kind of game, rather than it just being violent. Thus, if the violence is secondary to the storyline, and the focus of the game is not just plain gore, then just follow the ESRB ratings (because in general they're pretty good, but not perfect).

For example America's Army has a Teen rating (realistic people shooting other realistic people with bulleets) vs Halo which has a Mature rating (sci fi violence/guns, with the singular addition of blood on the ground when a player dies).
minty
OK I did a research paper on this as a junior in high school and I am still upset about. So here it goes:

The violence in games do not influence kids to ACT upon what they see. If we were to say that this kind of violence is causing our kids to act out, then would we not have to say the same thing about cartoons? What cartoon does not use the pain caused to others as a laughable feature? None. For god's sake, every single show in the world uses others' pain and torment (whether physically violent or emotionally violent) to get audiences to laugh. For instance, remembering asking friends in elementary and middle school if they want a "Hurts Don't It." When they answered yes, you would punch them and say "Hurt's Don't It?" This was funny to us and everyone around us at the cost of the victim being possibly hurt and tormented.

As you can see, the pain and torment is inherently funny when it is caused to someone else other than yourself. It is human nature, or at least has evolved into human nature.

Back to my point. By playing violent video games kids are introduced the violence, which if spun properly by the parents can teach the children valuable lessons. Such as violence can lead to people dieing; and violence can be good when used at the appropriate times.

-minty
Bluedoll
I dunno if it can be directly related but I do know one evening I was playing this car game. You know the kind where you run into and over things including people and everything is ok with that. I was actually kind of tired and sort of into the game if you know what I mean because I can get that way.

Anyway, I got in my car and took off down the road from the parking lot thinking about mostly nothing. When I came to the first stop light I stopped like I always stop but just remember thinking maybe it would be quicker and better if I just take the side walk run over a few people and get more points that way. What points? It wasn't like I was actually going to do it but I remember thinking wake up girl, your not in the game.

So are we affected by things we do? I think so, even games. The question is how much? I personally don't think games make you violent but if there is something wrong with a person emotionally or otherwise perhaps violent games don't exactly give them proper nutriants or something.
dfebb
I blame Blizzard.

I mean, it took them, what, 8 years to release Diablo 2? And still no Starcraft 2??

No wonder kids turn into violent adults...Exclamation
Aredon
I'd have to say that the amount of influence is somewhat dependent on age. If it is a younger kid in question, they are more likely to mimic what they see. So in that case yes, but we have the ESRB rating system for a reason... Teenagers will be far better able to discern reality from entertainment, and I'd say would not be influenced.

On a side note:
dfebb wrote:
I blame Blizzard.

I mean, it took them, what, 8 years to release Diablo 2? And still no Starcraft 2??

No wonder kids turn into violent adults...Exclamation

Yo.. http://www.starcraft2.com
http://blizzard.com - see: current projects
windrei
It depends on whether you are devoted to much to such games or not i think. When i was a secondary school student, my boy classmates like playing the violent games a lot, those like king of fighters. They spent much time on it. When they talked with each other, they always liked punching or slapping to the "vunlerable" one in the group. But some classmates just saw it as a game, nothing special. What i think is, if you put too much time on one thing, you like it more and more and you act like to be in it. This make the people becoming violent...
iamarun
The latest brain research shows that violent games activate the anger center of the teenage brain while dampening the brain's "conscience."

After analyzing scores of studies that have now been conducted on violent video games, there appear to be five major effects:

1) Playing violent games leads to increased physiological arousal,

2) Increased aggressive thoughts,

3) Increased aggressive feelings,

4) Increased aggressive behaviors, and

5) Decreased pro-social helping behaviors

These studies included experimental studies that concluded that playing violent games actually causes increased aggression. Studies showed there was a direct relationship between long-term game play and real-world aggression. These studies concluded that changes in children's aggressive behaviors can be demonstrated.

The research also seems to show that parents have an important role to play. Children whose parents limited the amount of time they could play and also used the video game ratings to limit the content of the games have children who do better in school and also get into fewer fights
iamarun
It's not that every teen that plays an ultra violent game is going to go out and pick up an Uzi. The real impact is more subtle. The worst effect of M-rated games is the culture of disrespect they create. Whoever tells the stories defines the culture. What do we think the effect is when our kids' storytellers are violence simulators that glorify gang culture, celebrate brutality, lionize crudeness, and trivialize violence toward women?
iamarun
Instead, parents should recognize that video games can have powerful effects on children, and should therefore set limits on the amount and content of games their children play. In this way, we can realize the potential benefits while minimizing the potential harms. The accumulated research shows that the video game industry must stop giving a mixed message to parents - that they have a good rating system but then say that there's no research to show that video games can have harmful effects. There is starting to be a large body of evidence that games can have powerful effects, both for good and ill.

This is the article i found from a website http://www.almenconi.com/articles.php?art_id=781
fracko
If children get violent because they've played too much games, they have week minds Wink
wombatrpgs
fracko wrote:
If children get violent because they've played too much games, they have week minds Wink


Alright... For one thing, the point is to protect the weak-minded children. (As most children would be considered having low willpower) If you're using that argument, any infant that dies because it was too cold is weak. Yes, obviously, but that's an argument for caring for the child, not letting it die...
Billy Hill
fracko wrote:
If children get violent because they've played too much games, they have week minds Wink


That's pretty dumb if you ask me. You can teach a kid to do anything, violent or not. Look what some Islamic countries are doing with their kids... teaching them as toddlers to hate jews and western civilization by the thousands. You think that's not going to have an effect later in life simply because they "have a weak mind" ?? Rolling Eyes
endless
iamarun wrote:
Instead, parents should recognize that video games can have powerful effects on children, and should therefore set limits on the amount and content of games their children play. In this way, we can realize the potential benefits while minimizing the potential harms. The accumulated research shows that the video game industry must stop giving a mixed message to parents - that they have a good rating system but then say that there's no research to show that video games can have harmful effects. There is starting to be a large body of evidence that games can have powerful effects, both for good and ill.

This is the article i found from a website http://www.almenconi.com/articles.php?art_id=781


my mother doesnt recognize that, she let me pla y 18+ games like halo etc.
dfebb
Billy Hill wrote:
fracko wrote:
If children get violent because they've played too much games, they have week minds Wink


That's pretty dumb if you ask me. You can teach a kid to do anything, violent or not. Look what some Islamic countries are doing with their kids... teaching them as toddlers to hate jews and western civilization by the thousands. You think that's not going to have an effect later in life simply because they "have a weak mind" ?? Rolling Eyes
Dude, you need to relax with the anti-muslim thing.
How's the homicide rate in the US? Or in South Africa?
Teaching people to hate muslims has the same effect. Take in the military, and we saw what that led to in Iraqi jails... Confused

Plus, this has nothing to do with violent video games.

Video games, as a form of 'imparting violence upon kids', I would argue is minimal when compared to kids that are growing up in lower socio-economic areas, where interpersonal violence is generally higher than in other places.
Video games don't make a kid violent, violent environments make a kid violent. Video games might just exacerbate this.
Jaan
If they have someone to put the game into perspective, then there is no harm at all. However, it may encourage violence if the kid is vulnerable mentally.
When GTA3 came out I was about 9 so that's when I started playing alot. I've been a fan ever since. Games are games for a reason; fun. (Fun = killing virtual people)
thomas02
My eleven year old son told me it's just a game and In real life he would never harm anyone but I still won't let him play them. There are some things children don't need to be exposed to and violent games are one of them.
smokey4life
I personally think it all depends on the kid themselves. I mean some kids can take to violence very passively and then again some kids and become very aggressive after playing a violent game. I have personally seen some of nephews/friends children get very aggressive and violent after playing some somewhat violent video games more or less because of them trying to re-enact what they have seen on the game or trying to imagine they were them. But i guess i will have to watch and pay a little more attention now that you mention it because its kind of got me curious now.
achowles
I haven't voted as the choices are too black and white for me to.

Some people, and this goes double for kids, are affected by anything. They let things affect them more than is logical. Also a great many people cite religious texts as justification for their crimes, but nobody is calling for a ban on those.

As for violent games... what happened to parental responsibility? There are age restrictions on them for a reason after all. If parents are letting their kids play an 18 rated game, how is that any better than letting them watch an 18 rated film? It's not. Parents should be doing more than just feeding and clothing their kids and making sure they get to school on time.

Personally, I find games to be a way of exerting any stress, frustration or whatever. Generally, I think that it's better vented on a game than in real life. But yeah, there are a lot of mentally unstable people out there, more than you would probably think. They are more likely to be influenced, by games. Just as they are more likely to be influenced by films or anything else that they find inspirational. Hell, it wasn't all that long ago that books were condemned for inspiring criminal behaviour.

So I vote yes in favour of parental responsibility and continuing the harsh ratings that games receive and equally I vote no in regard to actually banning anything because of what a few easily influenced people do.
vinx_18
I do vote BAD...because kids on our place or around me that do play online violent games that do war games or other violent games could influence them somehow. They do act what they have seen on the games they played. They replica on what they have seen and act what the icon or the actor on the games they played. Sometimes they hurt each other by kicking, punching each other and throwing something.
wombatrpgs
dfebb wrote:
Billy Hill wrote:

That's pretty dumb if you ask me. You can teach a kid to do anything, violent or not. Look what some Islamic countries are doing with their kids... teaching them as toddlers to hate jews and western civilization by the thousands. You think that's not going to have an effect later in life simply because they "have a weak mind" ?? Rolling Eyes
Dude, you need to relax with the anti-muslim thing.
How's the homicide rate in the US? Or in South Africa?
Teaching people to hate muslims has the same effect. Take in the military, and we saw what that led to in Iraqi jails... Confused

Plus, this has nothing to do with violent video games.

Video games, as a form of 'imparting violence upon kids', I would argue is minimal when compared to kids that are growing up in lower socio-economic areas, where interpersonal violence is generally higher than in other places.
Video games don't make a kid violent, violent environments make a kid violent. Video games might just exacerbate this.


I don't agree that this is like indoctrination, but about the environment... It's true the violent environment will encourage aggression, but I'd argue that the videogame is an artificial environment of its own. Therefore, the kid is living in a sort of contrived violent environment, and if that fantasy world becomes more influential than the real one, you have a problem. But then again, that only goes to show its absorbtion in a game that'll do a kid harm.

Anyway, eight people so far voted that this has a good influence... What's with that?
smartpandian
Its no influence.. or it can also be said as both good and bad influence.

Violent & gory games of these days, were not just mere games. they make kids to think, out of the box.
Davidgr1200
I don't think playing violent games influences "normal" people very much. On the other hand it can influence abnormal people. It can also be argued that those people would have probably been influenced by something else. Personally I think seeing violence and death in new programs is more likely to influence people - that's real people doing violence to other real people, not just people moving pixels round on a screen.
watersoul
Well the big game on the scene when I was a kid was pacman, and if that affected my age group then we'd all be running around darkened rooms munching pills and listening to repetitive beats!

...Hmm, come to think of it now, maybe they do influence us Laughing

Seriously though, some people will always be affected more by influences than others - everything in moderation is the key maybe?
Related topics
Favourite game? (OFFICIAL THREAD)
GTA: San Andreas PC (OFFICIAL THREAD)
Resident Evil 4 can a 11 or 12 yearold play
Jack Thompson is a psycho
US games future? Im moving to Europe.
Video Game Violence
Heya
10 games to keep your child away from
Girls and Games
Half Life 2
Kids fascinated by the computer
Computer games - the new scapegoats?
Violent Games Can Hinder Development of Empathy in Children
Games that are simply not good for kids
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.