FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Big Jet Planes

Afaceinthematrix
I've always wondered something, but I've never been able to find an answer while attempting to research this, so I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone know what the gas mileage is on a large passenger jet? I know it must be terrible, but I've always wondered how much fuel big passenger jets burn.
Gagnar The Unruly
The average passenger jet uses about 3.5 L per 100 passenger km, which equates to about 67 mpg per person on the aircraft.

A fairly efficient car getting 34 miles per gallon with two people in it would be getting 68 mpg*passenger and would be on par with an aircraft for travel efficiency.

To reach that level of efficiency, a car with 22.4 mpg would need to carry 3 people, and a truck with 16.8 mpg would need to carry 4 people. A Prius getting 42 mpg with four people would be getting 168 mpg*passenger, or using 1.4 L/100 km*passenger -- about a third of the jet plane's fuel consumption per person.

A typical 350-person jet achieving 3.5 L/100 km*passenger is burning about 1225 L/100 km, and getting 0.192 mpg. At that rate it's burning 45-50 gallons of fuel per minute! A 3500 mile flight will burn roughly 18000 gallons of fuel. Divided among 350 passengers that's still 52 gallons per person (191 tons of CO2 produced in one flight -- and over 1000 lbs. CO2 per person for the flight).

Jets contribute to global warming in more ways than carbon emission, however. The vapor trails cause cloud formation, and jets are also injecting other greenhouse gases straight into the stratosphere. Also jet fuel produces about 8% more CO2 per unit volume than automotive fuel.
Afaceinthematrix
Thank you for that information! That's interesting and I wasn't able to find that information anywhere else. I wasn't too far off in my guess. I figured that they got about .1 miles per gallon.
Japokskee
wow. that was cool

how about the gasoline consumption of the airbus?

double the size of 747. Very Happy

thanks in advance
Gagnar The Unruly
For the A380, the largest commercial airliner in the world (it is just entering the market), Airbus is estimating a fuel consumption of 2.9L/100 pkm, for (I believe) an estimated 555 passengers. Therefore, the actual fuel consumption will be 1609.5 L/100 km. That is equivalent to 0.146 mi/gal fuel economy. A 3500 mi. trip will require something over 24000 gallons of jet fuel -- resulting in 255 tons of CO2 emission.

The per-passenger fuel consumption seems good at first glance, but most carriers will configure the plane for fewer passengers. A reduction of 50 passengers will increase the per-passenger fuel consumption to 3.2L/100 pkm.

Airbus is angling the megajets as a green alternative to using multiple smaller airliners, by arguing that economies of scale make them more efficient. Boeing is countering by saying that they can design smaller aircraft with more efficient engines and shorter flight routes (the large planes will have to go to megahubs and passengers will still have to connect via smaller aircraft to reach their destinations). Also, it is unlikely that every large plane is going to make it off the runway with full capacity.

According to National Geographic News, "the world's...commercial jets produce over 600 million metric tons of carbon dioxide every year...[causing] 3.5 percent of man-made global warming...[a figure that] could rise to 15 percent by 2050."
hsadmin
Well.. My dad flies private jets for a living, and they burn about $3000 in fuel an hour.. But, thats at 500mph and 38,000 feet high.. Cany you really even say MPG? Remember, the world isnt flat up high, you can actually see the curve of the earth when flying at high altiudes, therefore, your not really going at ground distance, unless we are talkin about air distance.
ssthanapati
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I've always wondered something, but I've never been able to find an answer while attempting to research this, so I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone know what the gas mileage is on a large passenger jet? I know it must be terrible, but I've always wondered how much fuel big passenger jets burn.

Big passenger jets burn a lotta fuel... But its hard to determine MPG as u wanted to know. Its because airplanes dont work like cars. Its fuel efficiency depends on lots of factors like:

1. Time it is in Cruise flight.
2. Its speed.
3. The direction of wind.
4. The altitude it is flying in
5. No. of landingas and take offs its going to make.
6. And most importantly its weight.
7. Other factors include how efficient is the engine and how much drag the aircraft is creating.

Taking everything into consideration we calculate the total fuel that it needs to carry to complete a particular flight.