FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


BIOS matters





pollux1er
Hi everybody. I've got some problems with my computer. It is not booting by now. A friend of mine told me that it is my BIOS which is defective. How to know he is right. Please tell me about BIOS problems.
ocalhoun
If it really is the BIOS (Since you say your friend is sure about this, I won't question it, though there are many things that could cause a computer not to boot, and the only way I know of for testing the BIOS independently would be to replace it with a known good one, and see if that fixes the problem.), then there are only three ways to fix it. (Which if your friend is so knowledgeable, he should have already told you.)
1: Use a flash update on the BIOS. This has a chance of ruining the BIOS, but if it is already bad, it may be a valid solution. If you computer does not do anything at all as it is, then it will not be able to do this.
2: Replace the BIOS chip itself. It will be difficult to find a compatible replacement, and removing and installing the chip can be tricky, and might require special tools.
3: Replace the entire motherboard (along with the BIOS). Though this would be the most expensive solution, it is the one I would choose. It is the only method that I'll guarantee to work. (Assuming the diagnosis of bad BIOS is correct)
pollux1er
ocalhoun wrote:

1: Use a flash update on the BIOS. This has a chance of ruining the BIOS, but if it is already bad, it may be a valid solution. If you computer does not do anything at all as it is, then it will not be able to do this.


I will need your help to do this because i don't really know how we use a flash update on the BIOS.

Thanks to help me
sush
A bad BIOS can mean two things. Maybe the ROM on the bios where the bootup code etc is saved got corrupt, so either flash the bios somehow or get a new motherboard.

But something else that usually happens is that you might have tinkered with your BIOS settings and changed something accidentally (you didn't mention anything about or against this). If you think that's the case try doing a CMOS reset. Your motherboard has a jumper on it labeled CMOS reset (consult your manual for the mobo or download it from the manufacturer). Follow the instructions in the manual to do a CMOS reset.

Good luck, and if it doesn't work, this is going to cost you some money at your local computer repair shop.
TheGeek
pollux1er wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

1: Use a flash update on the BIOS. This has a chance of ruining the BIOS, but if it is already bad, it may be a valid solution. If you computer does not do anything at all as it is, then it will not be able to do this.


I will need your help to do this because i don't really know how we use a flash update on the BIOS.

Thanks to help me


If your computer has a floppy drive it is relatively easy. Find out what manufacturer made your BIOS (generally it is a company called Pheonix and their Award bios, but it varies, if your not sure post up what motherboard it is and we can help you find it). All you have to do to flash the BIOS is find your motherboard on the manufacturers website and download the latest BIOS utility. Generally they will have both a winflash utility and one that you can put on a floppy. What you want since you can't get into windows is the floppy one and then usually it's just a program that formats itself onto a floppy so that the computer can boot to the floppy and go from there. In order to get more specific on the directions i need your exact motherboard manufacturer and model however.
pollux1er
I tried to find out and what i saw is just the constructor of my BIOS. AMIBIOS. I went to many of their web site, Nothing. Their site is not online. I tried amibios.com, ami.com, megatrends.com, in fact, all the sites that were relative to their location on internet and i found nothing.

Where do you thing i can find upload of AMIBIOS SETUP UTILITIES?
corey
For a computer to boot, you need a processor installed, a motherboard, power supply, a power switch, and some RAM. Most motherboards also need a video card hooked up as well. If you're trying to use a CPU that's either incompatible or defective, it won't boot. If you're using RAM that's incompatible or defective, it won't boot. In these cases, there is not likely a problem with the BIOS.

Check these things first before you try flashing the BIOS.

If you want to try the BIOS flash fix, which may or may not work, go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer and look up the instructions for obtaining the BIOS update file and flashing utility, if needed, and follow their instructions EXACTLY and do not turn off the computer unless it says it succeeded.
pollux1er
corey wrote:
For a computer to boot, you need a processor installed, a motherboard, power supply, a power switch, and some RAM. Most motherboards also need a video card hooked up as well. If you're trying to use a CPU that's either incompatible or defective, it won't boot. If you're using RAM that's incompatible or defective, it won't boot. In these cases, there is not likely a problem with the BIOS.

Check these things first before you try flashing the BIOS.

If you want to try the BIOS flash fix, which may or may not work, go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer and look up the instructions for obtaining the BIOS update file and flashing utility, if needed, and follow their instructions EXACTLY and do not turn off the computer unless it says it succeeded.



What i said is that my Mother Board Manufacturer's web site is not online anymore, and i don't even know how come it is possible. you can try you too.

www.amibios.com
Related topics
How to bypass your BIOS Password
How To Format Hard Drives
BIOS
A BIOS quesion
How to access the BIOS on a mac
IDE Hard Drive Controller not recognizing my Drives
[help]Sobre la BIOS..
Need help booting from USB (Dell BIOS)
BIOS Password enough?
Install Linux with a locked BIOS
Pluto is no longer a planet
Overclocking with BIOS
Does age matters in relationship?
[RESOLVED] BIOS update - worst case came true
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.