FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spammed Viper G-book

Idoru
Hi!

Searched a bit for similar issues, but was unsuccesfull. The thing is, that I've put up
a Viper Guestbook on my homepage, and all was working fine. Actually, it still is, though
about a month ago I began reciving spam in large amounts. Some credit company send
five to ten posts per day...

At first I just deleted them, but then it became more intense and I put in a confirmationdemand,
so I manually have to approve all posts. It's a sollution, but a bit demanding having to
check in and delete them one by one every day. That's why I'm asking here for a better
sollution?

The posts come from diffrent IP each time, ofcourse, and are quite similar in text, but not
completly the same.
DjinniFire
You'll need a CAPTCHA system that implements an image so that robot systems which these credit card companies usually use cannot get past.

Search on Pixel2life for CAPTCHA in PHP category you'll be able to find some good tutorials.
alexdude
Idoru wrote:
Hi!

Searched a bit for similar issues, but was unsuccesfull. The thing is, that I've put up
a Viper Guestbook on my homepage, and all was working fine. Actually, it still is, though
about a month ago I began reciving spam in large amounts. Some credit company send
five to ten posts per day...

At first I just deleted them, but then it became more intense and I put in a confirmationdemand,
so I manually have to approve all posts. It's a sollution, but a bit demanding having to
check in and delete them one by one every day. That's why I'm asking here for a better
sollution?

The posts come from diffrent IP each time, ofcourse, and are quite similar in text, but not
completly the same.

thats so werid. But its happened to me before too. I just ended up deleting the guestbook and getting a more secure one.
Idoru
DjinniFire wrote:
You'll need a CAPTCHA system that implements an image so that robot systems which these credit card companies usually use cannot get past.

Search on Pixel2life for CAPTCHA in PHP category you'll be able to find some good tutorials.

Thx!
This seems to be the sollution, but I have to admit that my head hurts a bit. I've been reading on Pixel2life and in
some of the other posts on the CAPTCHA-subject here on frihost. This is what I want, but there is still a problem.
I know that the 'right' way around it would be for me to learn enough php-scripting to solve it myself, but I'll
try to see if I can find some easier way around it by asking here.

I can not understand where and how in the script I already use I should implement the CAPTCHA-scripting. The script
from Viper generates the code for the form. Quite a problem, when I'm not fully understanding the script...
Anyhow, I would be very happy if someone could give me a couple of spots on how it's done, and if I'm on the right
track saying that the CAPTCHA shold be in the same php-page that generates the form? Or atleast a part of it.
If it comes down to me picking the scripting down and getting what is what I'll do that, but it would save me time
and headaches if someone with the knowledge read this.

Thx and hopes in advance!