FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ragnarok Online private server...

milkyYing
HI, I'm just register for an account here and I'm currently trying to create the best Ragnarok Online Private Server for all Ragnarok Online fans out there. However, in the process to advertist my server to all players around the world, I would need a free-web hosting as the medium to advertist my RO private server contents. Without a website, I think that my RO private server is only well-known for those who I informed with only.

So if may, I hope that I would get a free web host here, at Frihost and I'll try my best to announce when will my RO private server will be online as soon as I managed to put it online, managing data file, designing/enhancing my website before the end of this month, August.

Meanwhile, good day to you all and thanks for the time you've spent to read all these 'junkies' above. ^.6
waiteck
So.. your are here.. just trying to advertise your serevr. Its illegal i suppose .. AS I also got one. But i dont advertise here as its illegal..
Lubritec
Yes, it's Ilegal. Read the first topic made by the administrator. I think you ill be banned Confused
waiteck
Yep.. i the past i used to post mine too >.<.. But knowing that its illegal, I removed it.
frozenhead
I think private servers are illegal.. Idea
waiteck
Yes.. Of course they are.. Ragnarok "Private Server" As long as there are two words "Private Server".. they are illegal.
Haku
waiteck wrote:
Yes.. Of course they are.. Ragnarok "Private Server" As long as there are two words "Private Server".. they are illegal.

Ur wrong, Gravity didn't take copyright (and other protection) on their server program, så using eAthena and such isn't illeagal, the only thing that is illegal is to modify the games exe files and stuff, and thats not necesery. (sry my english today)
Deji
Haku wrote:
waiteck wrote:

Ur wrong, Gravity didn't take copyright (and other protection) on their server program, så using eAthena and such isn't illeagal, the only thing that is illegal is to modify the games exe files and stuff, and thats not necesery. (sry my english today)

pretty much is.. you have to patch the client in 99% of cases.. which isnt legal.

and in which case your site is hosting a program thats used to modefy the client (which is Gravity's property).

the other issue is that Gravity might be able to challenge the legallity of private server emulators... in a similar way to...

http://www.eff.org/IP/Emulation/Blizzard_v_bnetd/
n0obie4life
I'm confused.

One moment its legal, one moment it isn't.

Lettme do a search on this before closing it.
MistaKiula
I think:
That using Athena is not illegal.. but using Aegis is illegal. Aegis is the EXACT program used to run the official RO. Someone ripped it off and it started to spread. Though, if you make money out of Athena, then that's when it turns illegal..

I THINK.. don't quote me on that.. just a rumour i heard.
Deji
The server Emulation isnt illegal (eAthena, Freya etc.) as you are using a home made server program. In the same way that creating a snes emulator isnt illegal but the ROMs are.

What is illegal is
1) using the Ageis (sp) code that was stolen from gravity a few years ago, its their actual server code that is sold to companys to create regional servers (iRO etc.)
(would be the equivilent of using a pirate copy of "Windows Server" )

2)Modifying the Ragnarok Client - "patching" it to allow users to access the server.

the gravity client is their property, and im pretty sure that somewhere in the large user agreement that no one reads when installing it will probably say its not allowed to use 3rd party code or to modify their client.

running the server itself isnt illegal, however ever user who plays on it is breaking the law by modifying the client files. and the admins will be as well because some things you need to be able to go in game to use. So they must have a modifyed version of the client.

and possibly

-3) giving out the patch that modifys gravitys files - thats the one bit im not so sure of...

using things to alter their program is illegal but i dont know about distributing them.
Eyre
why did i hear somewhere that it was legal as long as they did not charge for it?