FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

7 Wonders of The World!

MadeinIndia
Taj Mahal has been selected as one of the 7 Wonders of the World by the Webber Foundation. What do you think about all this 7 Wonders thing? Just a marketing gimmick or a really great event?
knight_frost
If you wont put place politics or any other dirty stuffs on this thing, recognizing the 7 wonders of the world would help us acknowledge the wonders of the world.

Our country also has a spot in the 7 wonders of world, its the BANAWE RICE TERRACES. Its magnificient engineering mirrors the rich culture of our ancient ancestors. Although, there were a lot of rumors of kindda losing the TERRACES, but our country has taking its actions..

I dont really think it is a gimmick or something. I think its only to recognize the beauty of ancient civilization..

I do think there were THE WONDERS of the ANCIENT WORLD and of THE MODERN WORLD i think..
vln004
i do think it's a major gimmick. There are so many beautiful and pristine places to go besides a large over hyped hotel building. I'd much rather goto a beautiful 3rd world country and see the world then a stupid building.

maybe i just don't apreciate big buildings? i often visit san francisco and see 'em enough. Don't get me wrong, the city is gorgeous. but there are indeed better places to go.
georgekalathil
I Dont like to give much importance to these so called modern wonders. All these 7 wonders are excellent ,but there are also other heritage sites which should have come in the top 7.....
Flarkis
I think this is a great idea. But as knight_frost pointed out the idea is to basic. There are so many great things in the world. You can't narrow them down to a list of 7 things. What we need is more or less a larger list. Or a list with specific attributes. Like a list of architecture or natural formations etc.
georgekalathil
yes its better to categorize these world wonders into a broader area so that the other attractions also gets their desired weightage...........
MadeinIndia
vln004 wrote:
i do think it's a major gimmick. There are so many beautiful and pristine places to go besides a large over hyped hotel building. I'd much rather goto a beautiful 3rd world country and see the world then a stupid building.

By the way, Taj Mahal is not a over hyped hotel building. I don't intend to offend you but do they teach general knowledge in your school? Wink
Master-of-Evilz
Well i think this is a Major gimmick and also i heard in the news that United Nations organization has not approved this. I really think this is a gimmick.
Flarkis
Ya well as most people choose to notice the United Nations is just a gimik by its self. It servers no actual purpose. So personaly i do not realy care is they dont give it their magical stamp of aproval.
sonnytheman
I donīt think, personally, that its anything more than a gimmick simply because it was put to an internet vote. I donīt know if any of you follow the NHL, but the whole "vote Rory Fitzpatrick into the All star game" showed how inaccurate internet polls can be. He wasnīt a popular player at all, nor a good one, yet he came within several thousand votes of being a starter in the all star game.

I was in Peru last week and there were posters everywhere urging people to vote for Machu Picchu as one of the wonders. How many people who voted, visited every one of the competing marvels? If you havenīt seen all of them, how can you say that one deserves to be one of the seven wonders over the others? The ancient wonders were listed by one person (I believe), and I think had these modern ones been chosen by a panel of experts who had seen all of them, then I would agree. As of right now, I think that its just a gimmick, and I canīt see how anyone can take any internet poll to be anything more than a joke.
TurtleShell
sonnytheman wrote:
I donīt think, personally, that its anything more than a gimmick simply because it was put to an internet vote. I donīt know if any of you follow the NHL, but the whole "vote Rory Fitzpatrick into the All star game" showed how inaccurate internet polls can be. He wasnīt a popular player at all, nor a good one, yet he came within several thousand votes of being a starter in the all star game.

I was in Peru last week and there were posters everywhere urging people to vote for Machu Picchu as one of the wonders. How many people who voted, visited every one of the competing marvels? If you havenīt seen all of them, how can you say that one deserves to be one of the seven wonders over the others? The ancient wonders were listed by one person (I believe), and I think had these modern ones been chosen by a panel of experts who had seen all of them, then I would agree. As of right now, I think that its just a gimmick, and I canīt see how anyone can take any internet poll to be anything more than a joke.

You've made an excellent point. I was opposed to the new 7 wonders of the world from the start anyway (don't we have anything better to concern ourselves with, collectively, as a planet?), mostly because I thought it was a waste of time and energy. I might also mention, as a project, it turned an ancient and exotic concept into a popularity contest/publicity stunt. The old seven wonders were enough. Do we need to give everything a Part II?

But you're absolutely right. How can you really vote for the new seven wonders of the world if you haven't seen all the sights?
web_harman
well although i am an indian but i dont think so selection of these seven wonders of the world was as authentic as the earlier seven wonders of the world were

i think its a marketing gimmick
Ucbet
I think it is a very broad subject. And for me definetely those seven wonders are beatiful. But there are things that are not listed were just as great and maybe even better.