FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

undecided on what to use ---> please help

isyan
i would like to make a personal website...

here's the problem.. i don't know what to use... about the graphic designing... photoshop cs? or gimp?

about the website design.. either dreamweaver 8, or just plain notepad or frontpage...

please help... what are the advantages and disadvantages on using these software...

jah blez!
imagefree
I recommend to use

Dreamweaver 8 or later for Designing. ( if you know HTML or XHTML) then use notepad or some other similat software.

For Graphic Designing i recommend Fireworks 8 or later. Fireworks is said to be the Dreamweaver's companion. I really works fine (even more than fine) with Dreamweaver.

what more you want to know?

I am using these two and i am totally satisfied. Dreamweaver gives you a total control over CSS and SERVER SCRIPTING Languages and it hav by defalt functions that make it run better with Fireworks.
Handyman
There are many nice free options you can use like NVU and gimp or you can spend a bunch of money and buy dream weaver and Photoshop if you are ethical.

It is really up to you and your comfort level with the code and the software.

I would recomend not using Front Page --BAD CODE--

Use xhtml and CSS in any design you make it will only be easier on you in the long run.

Good luck!
jylan
If you want to make a personal website you may be better off just setting up a blog, which means that you don't have to learn XHTML or CSS. A good blogging system can be found at http://www.wordpress.com/. Its what I use Very Happy
{name here}
jylan wrote:
If you want to make a personal website you may be better off just setting up a blog, which means that you don't have to learn XHTML or CSS. A good blogging system can be found at http://www.wordpress.com/. Its what I use Very Happy

If you are a good web designer and webmaster, you will still know XHTML and CSS, and make your own template instead of using a cookie cutter one.
Donutey
I started out with Frontpage and Paint, but now use Frontpage (raw code work is actually well organized, compared to the quality of the WYSIWIG) and the GIMP simply because it does what I need it to do.
littlegiant
I would also recommend setting up a Wordpress blog if you don't know anything about web coding. There are tons and tons of excellently designed Wordpress themes out there. With the quality I've seen, I'm not really sure it's fair to generalize them as 'cookie-cutter'. Also, if you decide to go with Wordpress, make sure you check into the plugins scene. They're easy to install and use and they'll help you customize your blog experience in many different ways, from SEO to fighting spam.
GB
{name here} wrote:
jylan wrote:

If you are a good web designer and webmaster, you will still know XHTML and CSS, and make your own template instead of using a cookie cutter one.

Completely agree! Why would you want to just regurgitate what everyone else has already done? Quite frankly when deciding what to use, I think it should be whatever you are most comfortable using. So if you think you can get by easier hand coding it, then use notepad or dreamweaver to write code. If you have never done web design before, then Affront Page (Front Page) should be easier for you.

Hope it turns out great. Remember, content is king.