FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XAMPP

Possum
Hi

I use WAMP but have just discovered XAMPP. Has anyone used both of these tools and could give me a advice on wich one is best..

Any views on XAMPP would be appreciated too..thx..

Cheers Possum..
smartpandian
My faovrite is WAMP is Vertigo Serv.. light weight package thats good enough for development..

XAMPP is the best known WAMP (Windows, Apache, Mysql , PHP)
there were some plugins available for XAMPP by which you can even work on TOMCAT...

But for basic php programming, xampp lite & vertigoserv is fine to work..

But dont try out with different softwares, stick to one, participate in their forum, make open source a better world
Fire Boar
I use XAMPP and XAMPP Lite. It is perfect for me, so I haven't bothered to look for a better alternative. Stick with one that works for you.
Star Wars Fanatic
I am the same as Fire, I have used XAMPP since I found it, and haven't tried anything else, as it has worked perfectly for me.
hack_man_
I use XAMPP to host my home Intranet, and some of it is on Abyss X2, and then some is on eyeOSMicroServer, so I have quite an advanced setup. The problem I have is even though XAMPP has a basic GUI, it is still very confusing to set up PHP and everything...
FunDa
Me too ! I've used only XAMPP and I like it..

I also carry around XAMPP lite on my USB drive, so I can install it on any computer when i suddenly feel the need to code some PHP and MySQL.

I use XAMPP lite alone on my desktop for testing my site before uploading.

It works quite fine - have not yet discovered what's so lite about it (except that Filezilla is not installed)
Fire Boar
Yeah. Firezilla won't be needed anyway if you're not accessing it remotely.
Handyman
I use XAMPP (WIN) and MAMP(MAC) they are both very similar and easy to use.
DeadX
I have tried many 'AMP' programns in the past, then I discovered xampp, I have never used something else*. I have never had any problem with it, just use the control panel to launch apache & mysql.

I do had a little problem recently (second half of june) when I downloaded 'XAMPP Windows 1.6.2'. it was running fine, but phpmyadmin was giving a notice of a missing lib. This is due the lib was comented out in the php.ini file, so you have to edit the ini to enable that lib. (btw, the php.ini file that needs to be modified is the one in \apache\bin).

* to be honest, I do have used some linux 'amp' distros on an old pc for some 'experiments' :p