FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP Desktop and Taskbar missing

dickyzin
I have a problem with my Windows XP desktop and taskbar. One day, when I started my computer, the desktop and taskbar were missing. My desktop wallpaper is still there but that's it. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del to open task manager and then clicked on File, then New Task (Run), then typed explorer.exe. This normally fix desktop and taskbar problems in my experience. But when I did this, only one windows explorer comes up and that's it. The desktop and taskbar remain missing. I have to use the Task Manager to run anything I want to run which is a pain. If someone has a solution to my frustration, please let me know. Thanks.
RiCtee
I used to have a problem similar to this after installing a Windows Update. When I boot into safe mode the problem was still there. But going to "last known good configuration" when booting (same place for safe mode) its fixed. I still don't know why this happened though - guess it's just another flaw in Windows.
qsmith
Try using taskmanager processes to see if there are any explorer processes - kill all of them and then try running it. if this does not solve the problem try logging on as another username on the same computer - it may be a problem with the windows profile.

Also check if you don't have any system state backups or restore points before the problem started.

If this still does not help you may have to consider that re-install....
Bones
System restore is probably your best bet. The problem is that explorer.exe is crashing You might want to have a look at event viewer to see if you can locate the cause of the crash.
internetjobs
this may be explorer problem, try to do reinstall your explorer. or simply you can repair your os from your os cd
brokenadvice
I see no problem in it... Never liked that taskbar anyways....

Something like this happened to me, but after 4-5 minutes, the taskbar and icons would appear. I tried everything I could think of to start it up sooner, but no luck. I finally did something (I don't quite know what) that fixed it, but now it hangs at the welcome screen. An alt-tab reveals that "restoring network connections" is running, but I cannot find anything on Google about it.

The moral of my story is: Sometimes you will just create another problem while fixing one. A clean install of windows should do the trick.
Holy
Well that happened to me too, except only after I used my Game Accelerator and closed it down.
blueray
Well, I still experienced this issues long time so take a look around with internet and found this page.

I haven't tested it yet, Because I have re-installed my system
Take a look of this to see if it is help.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html

Hope this help.
defnet
blueray wrote:
Well, I still experienced this issues long time so take a look around with internet and found this page.

Hope this help.

Mostly i just reinstall. You could pop your installation disk in your pc and just do a upgrade... it often works
blueray
defnet wrote:
blueray wrote:

Hope this help.

Mostly i just reinstall. You could pop your installation disk in your pc and just do a upgrade... it often works

Most of the time this is the easier way to up the system.
But this method was not work all the time.
Long time ago I have failed the system ( Windows 2000 ) with this.

Also, this is not the correct way to use for repair a system.
Such as if the system have important appz and data.

So, I instead of go search for an solution and build my knowledge.

What do you think ?
dickyzin
My problem occurred after I restarted my computer. I think there were some Windows Updates being installed. Could this have caused the problem?
orcaz
I experienced the "missing desktop" problem b4, but dunnoe whether it is the same for ur case. Wad i did to solve is by going to registry editor, browsing to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer and changing the NoDesktop value to 0. If ur missing desktop happens system wide, try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
dickyzin
This is what I did. I created a new Windows account and restarted the computer. I logged into the new account which worked fine - it had the desktop, taskbar and everthing that there should be. Then I rebooted the computer and logged back in using the old Windows account which had the problem. This time, the desktop and taskbar came back normal. So then I removed the new account that was created and the old account still works.

There's one more problem arising after this. One of the Windows Updates can't be installed. I think it's a security update for Microsoft .NET 2.0 or something like that. I tried installing it but it stops while displaying Installing Updates.