FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do you use your current operating system?

brucedes
Why is it that you use your operating system? Is it because you're just used to it? Or because it has something other Operating Systems don't have?

I use OS X. Not only is the operating system really secure (I can run it with the firewall off with confidence, try doing that in Windows >.<), virus and spyware-free, but it's also very user friendly, while still having a powerful core (Try using the Terminal and see). Not only that, but macs themselves are aesthetically brilliant.
soulery
I would have gotten a mac but I got Windows Xp because I'm used to the lay-out. Also, It can run things that macs can't.

Even though there are programs that can convert Win32 applications into files that can be used by ma- Oh, CRAP! I KNEW I should have gotten a Mac!
{name here}
I use Windows because it simply suits me the best with what applications it offers. I cannot use Linux because I lack the applications on Windows that I have. Wine doesn't really help much, especially when I'm using a 64 bit edition to get the most out of my hardware(which doesn't allow me to use Flash player).
vln004
i use a mixture of linux and windows. Windows for gaming and linux for everything else. I get all the software i need to do everything i want (webdesign, cd burning, etc) for free. AND linux OWNS vista in terms of eyecandy and functionality.
soulery
I hate vista so fricking much because they took the style from apple.

At least it has a cool feature called Exposé. Oh wait, no, thats what Mac Os calls it...

I bet that apple will sue Microsoft for stealing the designs and styles.
{name here}
soulery wrote:
I hate vista so fricking much because they took the style from apple.

At least it has a cool feature called Exposé. Oh wait, no, thats what Mac Os calls it...

I bet that apple will sue Microsoft for stealing the designs and styles.

Did Apple patent the idea of having GUI with a bunch of fancy effects? No? Then it's fair game for Microsoft to rip the idea from Apple. It's how business works, and has worked for several centuries.
GSIS
I use the OS that was installed when I bought the PC.

I've tried installing linux a few times on various PCs but never managed to get it to work. I don't have the time to get it working. also, I spent 20 years working in IT (tech support on mainframes, and unix boxes, programming mainly on unix boxes) so really don't have the inclination to mess around with linux at home. I expect everything to work straight out of the box.
kiranaghor
On my mac I use os x because there is no need for its replacement. its complete. On pc, I got xp and I use Ubuntu with VMware 5.5
corey
kiranaghor wrote:
On my mac I use os x because there is no need for its replacement. its complete. On pc, I got xp and I use Ubuntu with VMware 5.5
LOL. You run Ubuntu on your PC through Windows. Are you sure that you wouldn't prefer to do it the other way around? Laughing
imagefree
i am running WIN XP, because i have total command over it.
kansloos
^^ windows XP doesn't give u TOTAL command, but I have it also installed. not because it's that good, but playing games is crap in linux and windows is faster then linux in graphical mode.

Also I have a linux box, running mostly in text mode. Administrated from my windows comp trough SSH & VNC sessions. Mostly used for testing purposes, like testing my newly written code or just to try something I found on the internet.

I find linux more toolful for server purposes then Windows
brucedes
^^That's one of the reasons I prefer unix in general. They're brilliant as server boxes since stuff like apache, mysql, etc. was all written for unix, then ported over to windows.
Arno v. Lumig
I usually use FreeBSD (6.1... 6.2 never worked well for me), but right now I use my freshly installed Windows XP, because it messed up my FreeBSD partition and now I'll have to reinstall...
I will eventually reinstall FreeBSD, perhaps in a few days...

The reason I like FreeBSD is because it's fast, and very powerfull when you get used to the command-line. I also like that it's very stable and flexible, without being hard to setup. All my hardware works with FreeBSD (with any OS I've tried so far, except Solaris).
FreeBSD seriously is faster then Windows and Linux, and I haven't figured out how to make it crash yet... Windows always crashes with me because I do a lot of things at the same time. Especially opening a few programs etc at the same time (fast after eachother, without waiting for one to open) can cause instability
why6487
I use Mac OS X. I used Jaugar and I'm going to use Leopard then.
blueray
I'am currently using Windows XP with service pack 2.
Because now many apps that required the service pack 2 be installed for they run corrently.

Also Windows support much more apps than Mac OS X. It's including some funny utility.

I do wish to use Mac OS X. But I still haven't a faster mac now ( just an old imac 233 only. It is not enough to running it. Althrough its possible).
ChrisCh
I'm using Windows XP Home SP2. Even though my computer is Vista-capable, I'm still using it because of a program called Deep Freeze, which removes the need for any antivirus software! ... If I didn't have that, I'd probly upgrade to Vista. Very Happy
brucedes
I've heard of Deep Freeze, but I don't really understand it. From what I've heard it doesn't let any changes get made to the system, but what if you want to make changes to it?
qscomputing
I use Ubuntu because it "just works". Then again, Windows users claim that Windows "just works", and for me it blatantly doesn't, so I guess that's hardly a valid point.

Seriously, I honestly find that Ubuntu allows me to do more things more easily than on Windows, or any other system for that matter. It recognized all of my hardware during the install (well, all that I use - I don't know whether it picked up the winmodem, but seeing as I never use it I don't care), and installing new software is a piece of cake using Synaptic. It even runs the few Windows games that I play (Warcraft III for example) using the Wine package from the repos. I would honestly say that IMO Ubuntu is the easiest-to-use operating system available.

(I do not consider Windows easy to use because, although it may be for simple tasks, it is so simplified that it gets awkward to do more complex tasks - which is not easy!)
LostOverThere
I personally dislike Ubuntu, personally its to do with my laziness. I hate GNOME apps. Yes I know I can add and remove, but Kubuntu feels more at home to me.

Plus KDE4 is super sexy. Embarassed
qscomputing
When I said Ubuntu, I meant all flavours. To me, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are the same distro; they have the same packages, just a different default selection.

When it comes to apps, I prefer some GNOME programs and some KDE programs - but then I also like the ROX filer, which is neither.
nhuabo
Yes to some extent,I have used to use Microsoft Windows.
I think many people are the same with me.
I am not familiar with Linux,and don't know how to operate it corectlly.
Maybe I will change it to linux if possible.
mehulved
I use linux cos it lets me have a lot more control over my system and at the same time it's not overly complex. And I have been using it for last 1.5 years so have become comfortable with it.
I'd also like to try BSD's and Solaris when I get time.
Windows just doesn't suit me, though it maybe the best OS out there for many.
TheGeek
I run Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Feisty Fawn, not because I think it is more secure then Windows or Mac, I am smarter then that. But rather because it is free and I can do almost anything in it that I could in windows but I spend half as much money doing it and I find many of the programs for Linux more intuitive than the Windows counterparts.

And for all those people who think their Mac is more secure then Windows Vista I advise you read the facts first before making assumptions based on what the sales person told you.

http://blogs.csoonline.com/windows_vista_6_month_vulnerability_report
qscomputing
None of the operating systems available today is inherently more secure than any other. It's just that Linux (and the software that runs on it to produce a full OS), being open-source, usually gets patched much more quickly than proprietary software such as Windows. It is said that critical security bugs in the Linux kernel have been patched and in CVS within six hours of being discovered.
william
Well, I'm currently using Ubuntu 7.04 for several reasons. Main reason is because I was sick and tired of Windows. It got really annoying as it wouldn't support some hardware anymore, kept crashing, and it ate my computer's processing power. I could resolve many of the problems if I reinstalled Windows, but I can't seem to find the Professional disk (only found the Home disk). Ubuntu has no trouble in running the hardware I used in Windows (except a scanner, which I haven't tried to work out yet). As for software, much of the software I use in Windows can be found in Ubuntu. (I'm kind of an open source fan). Some software I paid for in Windows has an equivalent available in Linux. The only software I would want to run in Linux is Flash, Director, and Fireworks. I'm looking for some equivalents. If I don't find any, I'm going to attempt to emulate it. If it doesn't work, then I could just boot into Windows or run Windows inside of Ubuntu. That software along with games are about the only thing I can't do in Linux that I could do in Windows. Basically, Ubuntu can do almost anything I want, has a nice GUI paired with Beryl, and just my preference over other OSes. I'm a fan of the penguin, and I would happily use other distros of Linux as my main OS; I just chose Ubuntu.
ssthanapati
well i am used 2 using Windows... Its seems 2 b simple and less complicated than linux... mayb its easier or mayb i am just used 2 windows, dunno y
shawkat
i use linux because i feel myself comfortable with it
i know how it works from power-up till shutdown, or at least can easily figure out "what is going on in my system" and "how to fix something". i use system which was installed several years ago, several debian releases passed, i changed 3 HDD, 2 MBs and a videocard (not speaking about other non-essential hardware) and i always was using my linux box just after 10-15 minutes after replacement made.

with windows it always was like black magic. press this, press that. try another way. if it brokes completely - nevermind, anyway you had to reinstall windows Smile
web_harman
well in my case i am kind of guy who likes to stay with an operating system for a long time........... i used to use win 98 when even longhorn was there..... but now since 1 year i have shifted to win xp profeesional....

but i tried the vista but its not thtat easy to use as as win xp
silverdown
I have no idea, maybe because i dont feel like learning mac or linux based I am just so used to windows even though it has plenty of of kinks in the system! Evil or Very Mad
LostOverThere
w00t! OS change.

Ubuntu Studio. Why? Because I felt that I still do most general stuff under Windows whereas in Ubuntu Studio I can get all my multimedia production done. Yes, I still rather KDE, but Gnome isn't that bad.
snicker
corey wrote:
LOL. You run Ubuntu on your PC through Windows. Are you sure that you wouldn't prefer to do it the other way around? Laughing

I do the other way around Very Happy Actually, I have been using my good old Slackware Linux for some years now, but due to work/application compatibility I always have dual boot with windows.

I grew tired about having to reboot to switch to windows when needed... when virtualization appeared: now I can boot in Linux and use windows from its own partition through vmware.

Back in topic, I use slackware because I know it, I work on it and I definitely like it. Smile

My 2 cents
koltz
I use Window Server 2003 SP1.

I am administrator and I need to test different server software on my work pc.
For home use I prefer Windows XP SP2.

I tried use *nix like OS but due to small free time I do not friendly with it Wink
koltz
shawkat wrote:
i use linux because i feel myself comfortable with it
i know how it works from power-up till shutdown, or at least can easily figure out "what is going on in my system" and "how to fix something". i use system which was installed several years ago, several debian releases passed, i changed 3 HDD, 2 MBs and a videocard (not speaking about other non-essential hardware) and i always was using my linux box just after 10-15 minutes after replacement made.

with windows it always was like black magic. press this, press that. try another way. if it brokes completely - nevermind, anyway you had to reinstall windows Smile

I do not ready with you completly
I do the same on windows and happy Smile
fadirocks
I use WindowsXP SP2 on my laptop

Because school makes me use it Mad
bri4n5
I have a dual boot between CentOS and Windows XP SP2, I'm addicted to games Cool
Pikalibur
i use mac os x, cause it is safe and i dont have to restart it all the time (lol) but generally is more cool and good for hearing and seeing all your multemedia things, really good Smile
babumuchhala
My current OS is Windows XP and is mainly because of my hardware, its a 6 year old machine and I cant move up to Vista.

As far as Linux goes, i have used it on and off because I have some work on Win XP and have to get back to it and cant really have dual boot because i have only 20 GB of HDD.

Only if I would have had a better hardware i would be running Vista for the family and me playing around with Linux (Ubuntu & Fedora)

As far as Macs are concerned its freakishly expensive here in India, the prices are almost 75 to 100% more than in the USA
dirkvb
I have xp but I always try to do something in ubuntu(linux you know).
I don't like the big big monopoly of microsoft.
Drvanger
I have Fedora 7 (Linux). I use Linux, because it is more stable and faster than Windows (IMHO). Also I like programming, and IMHO it is easier in Linux, than Windows. And of course Linux is free Very Happy
kiranaghor
I use mac os x. It works and I love it.
jackill
On my PC: Windows XP Professional SP2, why? Because I've got it for frre from my University Wink

On my laptop: Windows Vista Basic, why? Because I've got it for free with my laptop Smile
[FuN]goku
Laptop - Debian/Etch 4.0 Linux - Why? Uhm... Because i do alot of coding??? lol
PC1 - Slackware Linux - Why? Slackware pwns!
PC2 - Windows XP Pro - Why? Gaming, Voice,
PC3 - Debian/Lenny (Testing) -Why? Web Security Testing.

Then if you wanna include my virtual machines which i use alot as well

Freebsd, Solaris, Various *Nix Distros, Win2003 Server , Win2000 Server, Redhat, Fedora.

The list goes on.

So, overall i use linux alot of the time. but when im gaming and whatnot i use windows.
I just dont like using Cedega or wine to run my games.. its buggy.

And one thing you'd never catch me on, is a mac... I absolutely hate apple , no offense to the apple users out there.. but i just dont like it, or any of their other products.
mobilemaal
LAPTOP : HP NX6110,
BROWSER: OPERRA AND IE

i luv WinXP
greatfire
On my main PC i use windows. I use it for two reasons.
1)I'm used to it
2)Large program support

On my spare PC i run puppy linux. It's the only flavour of linux that runs at a decent speed.(my old Pc is an old celeron 400 Mhz etc)
amineelasry
well , i m using XP , for work , vista & freebsd on Vmware for tests ..
Bones
I have a dual boot with XP and Vista. Vista because I for a free copy of Ultimate and had to play with it for a while. XP because it works well, and I am a gamer. If it wasent for gaming I would most likely run Suse, possibly Kubuntu. Gnome is just too ugly Shocked
MeddlingMonk
I use Windows XP SP2, mainly because I find it easier to get the types of software (usually freeware) I require for Windows than for Mac or Linux. If I could get the software I wanted, then I'd probably try a version of Linux (perhaps SuSe). Apart from that, I prefer the Windows 98/2000 style (I don't like the default XP or Vista appearances, nor what Microsoft have done to Office 2007...)
bulek
I also use Windows XP SP2. Why? Well, if all programs and games which I use would work on Linux without emulation, I would maybe change my current operating system. But because that won't happen in near future, I will probably just upgrade to Windows Vista after buying new computer.
ammonkc
I run Mac OSX for my desktop machine (and laptop which is my primary machine), and all of my webservers are running linux. Lately I've been mostly running CentOS servers but I do mess around with other linux distros.

I switched to mac OSX years ago because I had to spend way too much time and effort just to maintain windows. It was nearly impossible to keep a clean windows desktop for more than a few months without having to format and reinstall. but windows shortcomings aside, the built in unix tools I get with osx are awesome. osx really gives me the best of both worlds. I'm a programmer/web developer, and I love working with linux, but I also love having osx on the desktop. never been happier with my setup
Ankhanu
My primary OS is MacOSX; and yeah, I agree, it's brilliantly stable, functional and easy to use. The only thing I can't do with OSX is play one or two games I'd like to and run a few statistical packages that I need... but with Parallels running WinXP, I can still run them on the Mac system, so it's alright Razz

WinXP is a good all-round OS these days too, though. And, the linux distros are becoming increasingly user friendly; Ubuntu is a great example of this.
ammonkc
Standing in line for a product release is ridiculous, but I will be buying Mac OS X Leopard on the 26th.
vineeth
I am using Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Windows is still the best OS for home users and it offers a great variety of programs to choose from. Everything is easy here, unlike the troublesome installation of Linux.
Ankhanu
Linux installation is not the least bit troublesome these days, it's just as smooth as, and occasionally smoother than, Windows.

For the average user, not gamers or those with special computational needs, Iie. web browsing, chatting, email, word processing) Windows, MacOS and modern Linux distros are all fairly on par, perhaps with MacOS edging out for ease of use and Linux leading the pack for cost. Windows XP is a fine OS, but is really no easier to use than its major competitors for the average user
Studio Madcrow
openSUSE 10.3 for everything but a few games. It's stable fast and I love all the green.
DecayClan
I use windows XP, because all the programs that i use need them, and because i like to play some games from times to tiems, something that i would be unable to do with a mac, or Linux. I do have linux on an other drive though, for experimental purposes mainly. Windows XP, is stable(compared to ANY other version of windows(vista,me,2000,98se), is light(compared to vista), and is all i need for now. I will upgrae to vista as soon as they get Service pack 1 out, and amd unleashes the new cpu's(barcelona).
aningbo
because i'm currently using a public computer!! lolz
Gitesh
windows 7 suits me best, i have got hold of stripped down version of windows 7 which lacks videocentre, and other useless rings and bells which make it very fast and never hangs so windows 7 for life.
kmontano
I use Mac OS X 10.7 as well as Windows 7 Ultimate. Both are excellent operating systems.
tamilparks
i am using windows XP with service pack 3
Chellesei
I use Windows 7 (64-bit).

I've always heard that Windows 7 is a really good OS and it's recommended for faster and better performance. I didn't mind those comments since I'm pretty satisfied with XP that time. But when my XP went pretty slow because of much programs and files stored, I decided to upgrade to Windows 7.

Another thing is that some software I'm using for multimedia purposes, like Sony Vegas Pro 11, Adobe Premiere CS5.5 and Adobe After Effects CS5.5, don't support Windows XP.

I also use Windows 7 because I like it's graphical user interface. Very Happy Windows 7 runs smoother on my computer than XP does. Smile
protw
I use archlinux, cause it is very flexible than any OS I've used

the second OS I love is XP and ubuntu

the last is Win7 Razz
hakaner
I've not tried another OS instead of Windows(W7), but I'm happy with it Smile
ilmkidunya
I am using windows 7 it is the best i ever seen i have used windows vista but there are many buggs Window 7 is perfect for professional use
cnmdlb007
i use windows 2003 as workstation

because i feel that the 2003 is the most quick windows.
menino
I've started using a distro of linux called Macpup 528 on one of my old machines, which has only 128MB ram. The ram is RDRAM, which is difficult to find, and expensive, even online.

So I decided to try out various linux distros, and Macpup 528 seems to run fast on it.

I even connected it to my plasma screen and use that as the main monitor, otherwise I connect to it using vncviewer and remotely control it.
Basically I use this machine as a download machine for torrents mainly, or transfer movies to it, and watch it on my plasma screen.
Sometimes it perofrms well,a nd sometimes it doesn't... especially for action scenes. So basically, I used it for watching comedy serials.
The interface of macpup is very smooth, and almost feels like a mac. Its interface seems to be rich, with quite a fast response.
debaroon
I use Windows XP (still...!!!) and Windows 7.
Windows XP on my personal laptop, due to hardware restrictions and Windows 7 on my work laptop.

_Debaroon
zimmer
brucedes wrote:
Why is it that you use your operating system? Is it because you're just used to it? Or because it has something other Operating Systems don't have?

I use OS X. Not only is the operating system really secure (I can run it with the firewall off with confidence, try doing that in Windows >.<), virus and spyware-free, but it's also very user friendly, while still having a powerful core (Try using the Terminal and see). Not only that, but macs themselves are aesthetically brilliant.

I choose my windows 7 pro operating system due to my applications installed on this which can hard to find with other operating system and my not be applicable.

Right now is the best operating system i got which all the applications supports my business.
imapiekindaguy
I dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. I grew up using Windows operating systems (namely XP), so I feel most comfortable with them. A few of the programs I use for work only run on Windows computers (the most important of which is FlashDevelop), so I can't easily get rid of it. I've used a handful of Linux distributions over the years, and eventually fell into Ubuntu. I like all of it, and I'm slowly weaning myself off of Windows as I find replacements for the software I use for work. I've even begun to write a replacement for one of them.
welshsteve
My answer, as with most people I think, is that it is familiar. I can use Linux, but when I was at Uni, and in work for the past 15 years, it's been Windows, so I'm used to it.
nepalstar
brucedes wrote:

Currently I'm using Windows 7, I'm just using Microsoft Operating systems only so I want to other operating systems other than Microsoft product like Linux, Unix and other. so, anybody can suggest me any other operating systems.
likeabreeze
I am using WinXP.
Stable, easy, simple.
That's what I want.
OS like Win7 or Win8 just doesn't interest me.
RosenCruz
Stable, fast, efficient. That is why I use XP on my older machine. Idea
milkshake01
I use Mac because of the design.
Peterssidan
I use Ubuntu 8.04. I use Linux because it is free/open source. I use this old version of Ubuntu mostly because I'm used to it and I'm too lazy to upgrade. I have Arch Linux on my laptop that I rarely use and if I ever upgrade this computer I will probably install Arch Linux. I like their package manager, pacman.
firstroad
i use windows xp on my netbook because later windows versions of windows need better graphics card and i also have backtrack
on my laptop that i mostly use i have windows 7 installed but i want to upgrade to win8

I use windows because it's an os that is widely used, there is a huge variety of software and games for it, last but not least it's cheap

Linux is light and good, especially for hacking etc. but i am using windows for more than 7 years so it's difficult for me to work with linux
Radar
Because Mac OS X has the Unix command line interface, is beautiful, and works without having to worry about upgrading the hardware.

The last one is probably a pro or a con depending on who you are though.
Jokiae
I use combination of Slacware and Windows7. Slackware is my first linux distro, and I choose it because it forces you to learn how Linux works, instead of just learning to use it. Windows is for gaming. No better way to relax then to play Call of Duty.