FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Welcome Message/Mentors

reddishblue
Hello All,
I think there is a need for an automated message to be sent to members when they join, one that explains everything a new member needs to know when they just join, how to get hosting, people they should PM for assistance, links to basic things and more advanced things like IRC, that they may never find otherwise and all that stuff, I don't think it would be very difficult to implament, just a PM new members get when they just join.

Furthermore, I have an idea for advice giving members, who provide help with whatever issues the noobie may need help in, the ones who should do this are staff members, but it may be taken further, with members who are willing to give time to help anyone with anything they are willing to help in, problems with starting websites and whatever.
You can probably have a list somewhere for members willing to help others or something, maybe even a small Frih$ reward for every member helped. I guess you can expand on the idea, I know this has been suggested many times, but why not have one more!

Reddish
m-productions
By your 2nd idea, do you mean kinda like a "buddy system" where every new member is assigned a buddy, who will be there to help them out? thats kinda what i got form that, and I think thats kinda a cool idea.

As for the first part... Good idea, but.. come on.. its on the front page, its on FAQ, its in ACCOUNT, its everyone... do you really think a PM is really gana help.. if they are asking in the forums for this.. 90% of the time, ill say 1) they are lazy, cant even take the time to find it themselfs, 2) just trying to get another post.
tidruG
The first idea is indeed one I would like to implement. But instead of having a PM that tries to explain everything, I would rather have a PM that points to pages they could visit which contain important information for noobs.

As for the second idea, I think it defeats the purpose of "community forums". The whole point of having these forums is so that users can help and guide each other, including new members.
GSIS
I think a personalised response to anyone posting a personal introduction will always be far better than any automatic response.

An automatic response has no meaning.
reddishblue
GSIS wrote:
I think a personalised response to anyone posting a personal introduction will always be far better than any automatic response.

An automatic response has no meaning.

Somehow, I don't think new members care all that much about meaning, they normally don't know the people who would give the personalised greeting, unless they are guest lurkers, and you don't get a lot of those on these forums do you?

Anyway, we have too many new members to be giving a personalised greeting every time, and we would need a massive welcoming squad to pull it off. I do however regular a Wiki http://www.hrwiki.org that uses a template that gives the name of the member that greeted them, which although it isn't personal because it's a prewritten message, has a name of an individual welcoming squad member, maybe we could do something simular here, although I don't know if templates are even possible with PHPBB.

Reddish
Hammy
I'm not against the idea, but i'd say we all managed pritty well without a welcome note Smile

Also, wat if we get stuck with some dumb lil 14 year old that does even know wat FTP stands for? .. I'd hate that lol. :p

(I appologise to any 14 year olds reading this that dont know wat FTP stands for)
m-productions
Hammy wrote:
I'm not against the idea, but i'd say we all managed pritty well without a welcome note Smile

Also, wat if we get stuck with some dumb lil 14 year old that does even know wat FTP stands for? .. I'd hate that lol. :p

(I appologise to any 14 year olds reading this that dont know wat FTP stands for)

im 18 and it took me a long time before i knew what FTP stand for, but i knew what it did, and what it was used for when someone said it xD
reddishblue
Hammy wrote:

I have no idea what you mean...
Do you mean what if they ask the mentors? Then we will give them a link to http://www.w3schools.com or some place that that, anyway, it's not like it's tough to tell them that FTP is...

This is exactly why we would need them anyway, to answer questions, although they can also post in the forums.

And what if we have got along, we got along without a report button and AWITs, a Welcome message is just to make life easier for noobies, and it wouldn't be that hard to implement...would it?

Reddish