FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WPA Security on XP

aetcomputers
I am trying to sort out a problem where a wireless network has been set up and I obviously want to get security enabled to help unwanted use. I can set up WEP with no problems at all, but WPA is not accessible in XP. The system has been upgraded to SP2 but I think it was a very early release of XP which did not have WPA available from install. I have found the KB articles which offer a download to install/enable WPA and WPA2 on XP systems, however because SP2 is already installed, I cannot get the patch to install successfully (it states that the version of windoes is too up to date and the patch cannot be installed). Is there any way to 'fool' the install to think only SP1 is installed or some other workaround to get WPA enabled on the machine.

Any help greatfully received.

Adam Surprised
gh0stface
What type of wireless router and wireless network card are you using?

I'm pretty sure that WPA isn't too dependent on Windows unless you are doing something completely different than what I am thinking...
JayBee
Windows XP SP2 don't have support for WPA2. They didn't work for me even if I have only WPA enabled by router. Before some months I have solved the same problem by this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

After this, windows manage properly WPA and WPA2.

Router - Linksys WRV200, WiFi - broadcom BCM4318

I was surprised that windows don't support WPA correctly. This happened to me after rebooting to windows. I use my laptop for months with Linux and wpa_supplicant works fine. WPA_supplicant also works with windows.
Bones
If you are still having trouble, you might want to check out this site: http://compnetworking.about.com/b/a/075520.htm

My question though would be, if WEP is working, why bother going through the extra hassle? If your router also supports MAC filtering, then the filtering in combination with WEP is pretty much as secure as you are going to get.
JayBee
Bones wrote:
My question though would be, if WEP is working, why bother going through the extra hassle? If your router also supports MAC filtering, then the filtering in combination with WEP is pretty much as secure as you are going to get.

WEP is not secure! Either with MAC filtering!
You can clone the mac address of allowed computer, you can read everything what anybody transmit via wifi. This is realy not secure.

Quote:
WEP connection can be cracked with readily available software within minutes. ... WPA is much more secure than WEP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
Bones
Sure you can clone the mac address..but how do you think that someone driving by my house is going to get te mac from my nic?

Personally I dont use wireless at all because of it's insecurity.
JayBee
Your computer must transmit its MAC many times to establish and keep connection. Some hacker can use this MAC by his own wifi.

I use only WPA2.
orcaz
JayBee wrote:

I was surprised that windows don't support WPA correctly. This happened to me after rebooting to windows. I use my laptop for months with Linux and wpa_supplicant works fine. WPA_supplicant also works with windows.

WPA2 works fine with my Windows XP SP2 notebook. But i decided to downgrade my security to WPA only bcoz mi Windows 98SE cannot seem to run on WPA2.
JayBee
orcaz wrote:
WPA2 works fine with my Windows XP SP2 notebook.

My notebook, with Windows XP SP2 home edition, with all (automatic) updatets and windows self managed Wireles connection, didn't suppoer WPA2.
orcaz
JayBee wrote:

My notebook, with Windows XP SP2 home edition, with all (automatic) updatets and windows self managed Wireles connection, didn't suppoer WPA2.

maybe u can try updating ur wireless device drivers, and then try to connect to a WPA2 network again.