FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Violent films, television and games...

tijn01
Hi...
I was watching something absurd on TV the other day and it occurred to me how desensitized we are all becoming. I think it probably has a lot to do with the violence we see on TV, at movies and in games...
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against violent films, or at least I never used to. Pulp Fiction (and other Torentino's) were my fav's as a teenager.... but now I see the stuff that is being made now and it REALLY shocks me and I can't understand why anyone would want to watch it...
What do you think the long term effects of violence on TV (real or made-up) is on society as a whole?
MeddlingMonk
Quote:
I was watching something absurd on TV the other day and it occurred to me how desensitized we are all becoming. I think it probably has a lot to do with the violence we see on TV, at movies and in games...

I agree. We as a society are exposed more and more to violence and sex in films and games. The average TV show today now has more foul language, violence, horror, sex, etc. than twenty or thirty years ago. As someone who grew up watching re-runs of shows like the original Doctor Who, Star Trek and MacGyver, I look at some of the TV shows being produced today and wonder: "This is actually called entertainment?" We are slowly being desensitised to the horrors presented on our TV screens and the effect is showing on our society. We get so used to seeing violence, etc. as "entertainment" that we can sometimes "switch off" to it in real life.
rightclickscott
Don't act suprised. This is what people find entertaining now. If you believe it's some kind of downfall of society, I don't know how stupid you can be. As far as we progress, the more our youth want to grow up. So, the media brings it to them with adult themes. There's no stopping it. Personally, I wouldn't want to. Just don't act like it's a big deal.
blk3
Standards seems to change as time goes by, whta they can't show in the 60s or 70s are now just plain PG on TV now. Although ratings board seems to favor more on vioence than sex this days. Come to think of it, sex is a very natural thing (sex in a straight way, no homosexual sex, S&M, rape or anythign like that), violence on the other hand (such as torture, murder etc.) is down right inhuman.
greatfire
You should do what i do, just dont watch TV. I men the news is all right and i do like to watch documentaries, but aside from that, nothing. No TV. I watched the occasional DVD, and play my wii but aside from that thats all my TV is used for. ALthough i play quite a few games i tend to avoid violent games such as the GTA series and etc.
pudovkin
Not pleasant for sure, but violence is only a way - as love - to human being show its feeling.
Why not to shoot and make good histories about that? I see no problem. But I agree that people has to understand its limits and not to promote that. (of course Razz)