FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Go PHP5

Would you mind a 4 hour downtime if it meant that PHP 5 would be installed?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 27

garionw
I realise that this has been suggested before, but I think something needs to be done soon.

I was reading on digg just a few minutes ago about GoPHP5 and how there were certain programs that were going to stop supporting supporting PHP 4 on February 5th, 2008 (214 Days as of this post). So those who are lazy, heres a list of projects who are going stop supporting PHP4:

• phpmyadmin
  • Typo3
  • UseBB
  • Drupal

It also had a list of the webhosts who have said that they will install PHP 5.2 (Or a newer version by then) which is why I've posted this message. Maybe Bondings can go and install PHP 5 on one of the servers, and then promote Frihost on the site. This could be a big publicity boost, as there were no other free hosts listed on the site and there aren't many other good webhosts that support it.

Please consider this Bondings as Projects are fast becoming PHP 5 only, and when it comes we will be stuck with the old insecure versions compatible only with PHP 4 (Which could give Frihost a bad name). I'm sure that we wont mind a couple of hours downtime as you install in.

Edit: 200 Days to go now Wink
m-productions
Theres just so many problems with this, I mean.. i agree we need php5, as you said, things will stop supporting it, and the book i bought to teach myself php... is all php5.. none of the test scripts work here =(

However, as bondings has said, if he installs it, many users scripts will stop working....

so either way, its going to be 50/50, then again, if a server 3 is made..that could easily have php5.. only problem is... theres no telling if there will even be a sever 3..and if it does, we would have to get our accounts deleted and then request a new account... (if they even let us do that) ...

maybe a full out frihost poll needs to be done... that would be an interesting way to see if enough people care if their scripts stop working.

but all in all... as bondings has said in every php5 topic....as of now... its not going to happen.
garionw
m-productions wrote:
However, as bondings has said, if he installs it, many users scripts will stop working....

There is always the option of having PHP 4 installed along side it
m-productions
garionw wrote:
m-productions wrote:

There is always the option of having PHP 4 installed along side it

you can install both on 1 server... this woudlnt cause problems??
tidruG
You can install both on the same server, it's true. I'm not sure how it works exactly, though, but I do know it's possible. However, having both versions on the server will apparently create some problems. So, as far as I know, we'll have to commit to one version and keep both our legs on the same side of the line. I'm leaning more towards an upgrade to PHP 5. We have time till Feb 5, 2008 to upgrade, so maybe it can be done after giving users some time to make sure all their scripts are PHP5-compatible, and/or look for new ones.
Manofgames
Yes, Ithink it is possible for both versions to co-exist on the same server, but undoubtedly, as tidruG said, there would be problems with that.
It seems from som sites that if you try it one way, it will only work if you have a certain type of server :confused:

A quick google brings up some info on the subject:
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2004/03/24/running-php4-and-php5-in-parallel/
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-October/100384.html
http://www.digitalsandwich.com/archives/14-PHP5-and-PHP4-Running-on-SAME-apache-server.html
http://wiki.coggeshall.org/37.html

I think it'd be best to upgrade to php5 ASAP. YEs some scripts will fail, but the PHP team are planning on bringing out php6 in the next couple of year or so as far as I know.
We can't just keep using php4: as shown by that site, there are more and more scripts that are requiring, or will be requiring php 5 and above.

I vote PHP5 Pray
snowboardalliance
I would definitely like to try the "new" features of php5 over 4 like improved OOP. I doubt it'll happen and I can't complain on this awesome host, but it would still be cool.
tidruG
I don't doubt it will happen... but maybe just not as fast as you would like.
SlowWalkere
Ahh, this discussion again. I agree that Frihost should upgrade to PHP 5. If major programs, like phpmyadmin, are going to stop supporting PHP 4, then there's all the more reason to upgrade to the newest version.

Of course, there are legitimate problems with upgrading. A lot of users may experience scripts that no longer work.

Perhaps different servers could have different versions of PHP? For example, the original server one could maintain PHP 4 for old accounts, and server two could be upgraded. Existing users could transfer to the old server (if there is room), while all new users would be required to go to a server that only supports PHP 5.

Sure, it might be a headache, but at some point I think we need to bite the bullet and upgrade. We can't cling to the old build forever.

- Walkere
Bockman
SlowWalkere wrote:
Sure, it might be a headache, but at some point I think we need to bite the bullet and upgrade. We can't cling to the old build forever.

Sure we can't... But we WILL for some more time.

I've been checking other hosting providers (payed) and most of them supply PHP5 as optional (and with an extra fee). And PHP4 still has support for 7 more months. Till then we will act uppon this issue.

Be Well Cool
ocalhoun
Bockman wrote:
And PHP4 still has support for 7 more months. Till then we will act uppon this issue.

It would be good to have a definite plan for doing so, complete with dates and a test run...
Which gives me an idea:
Have a temporary 3rd server (Just an old PC that isn't being used, I could supply one if need be). Have this temporary server set up just like the other two, except with php5. Let frihost users upload the scripts they currently use to this temporary server to test them. At the slowest time of every day, delete all the uploaded files from the temporary server. (To keep users from using it as extra hosting space)
Then, notify all frihostsers (by e-mail, PM, and forum topic) of this temporary server (and of the time of day that it is wiped). Tell them that if they do not test their scripts on the temp server, and their scripts malfunction when the upgrade is done, that it is their problem for not taking advantage of the test server. Also tell them when the main servers will be going php5.

This would give people a chance to find out ahead of time whether their php4 scripts will work with php5, and if the scripts don't work, this will give them time to get help in making them work with php5 (whether here or somewhere else).
m-productions
ocalhoun wrote:
Bockman wrote:
And PHP4 still has support for 7 more months. Till then we will act uppon this issue.

It would be good to have a definite plan for doing so, complete with dates and a test run...
Which gives me an idea:
Have a temporary 3rd server (Just an old PC that isn't being used, I could supply one if need be). Have this temporary server set up just like the other two, except with php5. Let frihost users upload the scripts they currently use to this temporary server to test them. At the slowest time of every day, delete all the uploaded files from the temporary server. (To keep users from using it as extra hosting space)
Then, notify all frihostsers (by e-mail, PM, and forum topic) of this temporary server (and of the time of day that it is wiped). Tell them that if they do not test their scripts on the temp server, and their scripts malfunction when the upgrade is done, that it is their problem for not taking advantage of the test server. Also tell them when the main servers will be going php5.

This would give people a chance to find out ahead of time whether their php4 scripts will work with php5, and if the scripts don't work, this will give them time to get help in making them work with php5 (whether here or somewhere else).

that seems a little to complicated (tho a very good idea). The fact is, we need to upgrade at some point, even if it is in seven months, so people will just need to suck it up, and fix them when the time comes. PHP5 isnt just wanted, its NEEDED. as long as we get it within 7 months.
An_Apple
m-productions wrote:
Theres just so many problems with this, I mean.. i agree we need php5, as you said, things will stop supporting it, and the book i bought to teach myself php... is all php5.. none of the test scripts work here =(

so either way, its going to be 50/50, then again, if a server 3 is made..that could easily have php5.. only problem is... theres no telling if there will even be a sever 3..and if it does, we would have to get our accounts deleted and then request a new account... (if they even let us do that) ...

maybe a full out frihost poll needs to be done... that would be an interesting way to see if enough people care if their scripts stop working.

but all in all... as bondings has said in every php5 topic....as of now... its not going to happen.

PHP Version 4 is ok.well,im in favor if updates and php5 can be installed.thank you.
Bondings
I'll do a few tests during the next few weeks. However, we'll probably need to switch before new year in any case to avoid problems with new software and the 4.4 version to become unsupported.
snowboardalliance
Bondings wrote:
I'll do a few tests during the next few weeks. However, we'll probably need to switch before new year in any case to avoid problems with new software and the 4.4 version to become unsupported.

So you're saying we'll get php5 this year? I'll have to start learning the new features I can use.
qscomputing
As a matter of fact the PHP development team has announced that PHP 4 will no longer be supported after the end of this year. More details:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/14/0646216
Gepeto
I think that we need to have the new version of Php because, as garionw said, it'll create a big publicity for Frihost. And we don't need a php version with no support anymore.
If we could have both Php4 and Php5 on the same server, the webmaster would have the choice to keep the old version or try the new one : perfect.
Let's go to the future and test Php5!
GSIS
I'm just at the start of my learning curve with php. There seems little point in learning php4 if it won't be around when I'm proficient enough to do anything useful with it!

I have some features I'd like to add to my site but it'll be some time before they're ready so I've downloaded and installed Wamp (with php5 built in). I'll test my system (as is) first. Then I will get me, and my customised applications, ready for a future migration of Server 2 to php 5.

If php4 and php5 can be used in parallel on the same server it'll make life a lot easier for a lot of the site owners, though.

From a host point of view I guess it's a case of balancing effort, risk and benefit for each of the upgrade routes - then applying whichever seems the most appropriate.

From my point of view I just need to know I can fit in with whatever the hosts decide to do. I'm assuming that since php4 won't be supported not upgrading is not an option.

Added:

My site isn't very busy (not many customers) at the moment. I hope it'll be much busier when the php5 upgrade happens, though.

Will the hosts give us a planned upgrade date? This will be useful so I can let my customers know and so I can plan some slack time to deal with post-migration migraines.
Linkdk
It would be great to get the PHP5 working instead off the 4th..
And only 4 hours of downtime ? who can't live with that ? Smile
snowboardalliance
GSIS wrote:
I'm just at the start of my learning curve with php. There seems little point in learning php4 if it won't be around when I'm proficient enough to do anything useful with it!

Well, you can learn php4 and it will work with php5, as long as you learn good practices. Php5 just adds on to php4 really.
garionw
I hate to bump old topics, but PHP 4 is no longer supported (soon that is Razz )

Quote:

PHP 4 end of life announcement
[13-Jul-2007]

Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.

For documentation on migration for PHP 4 to PHP 5, we would like to point you to our migration guide. There is additional information available in the PHP 5.0 to PHP 5.1 and PHP 5.1 to PHP 5.2 migration guides as well.

m-productions
simply put...im an idiot. lol
virre
m-productions wrote:
yep yep...we need this... and why the heck did 18 people say no.... I think we have some either 1) noobs 2) people trying to be funny...

well the question is rather badly formulated for some one who isn't native in english.

If I think that a change would be nesecary would that be a yes or a no?
m-productions
it would seem that im a noob... hahaha *sighs* it would indeed be a no.
mathiaus
Right I'm fed up with this. Despite recent discussion on closing topics, I'm closing this.
Bondings has said it will be done, you'll just have to wait. Posting here will NOT speed it up at all!

For those that seem to think that PHPv4 not being supported, means that will 'not work', it doesn't! Those two scenarios are completely different. Even after that time, it will work and existing versions of scripts will also work.

-close-

Edit: Also, where did the 4 hour downtime come from Question