FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MS Virtual PC 2007

riyadh
microsoft launched a new version of Virtual PC.what i want to knw is does it support installation of 3rd party OS like Mac OS X or Ubuntu Linux?someone please help
MrBlueSky
Yes. No problem. For installation instructions of Ubuntu in Virtual PC 2007 see http://www.aotk50.dsl.pipex.com/linux/linux.htm . For OS/2 and other Microsoft OSses see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/support.mspx .
Studio Madcrow
OS/2 is NOT an M$ OS. IBM and M$ developed version 1.x together, but after that M$ abandoned it, leaving IBM to turn it into the greatest PC operating system ever, which just like everything else good and ahead of its time in the computer world, ended failing miserably...

It is nice that it works well in VPC, though. Rather ironic actually...
MrBlueSky
Oh yes, your right. I forgot about that. But anyway, Microsoft does give official support for OS/2 using VPC, which it doesn't give for Linux.

(Which makes sense, because nowadays Linux is a serious competitor to Windows and OS/2 isn't anymore Smile )
sush
Running OSX on a VPC? I thought VPC runs with OSX as the host operating system.
nhuabo
Virtual Pc support many other operating system especially Linux in its old versions.When Microsoft bought it from Connetix,it doesn't support Linux any more.On this thing ,Microsoft is selfish.
welshsteve
I use Innotek's VirtualBox - www.virtualbox.org

I think it's an excellent bit of software.
nhuabo
The best and the most professional Virtual machine is VMware .
It offer free version now,try it.
You will find it is great.
mOrpheuS
nhuabo wrote:
Virtual Pc support many other operating system especially Linux in its old versions.When Microsoft bought it from Connetix,it doesn't support Linux any more.On this thing ,Microsoft is selfish.

Actually, you can install and run Linux on any version of Virtual PC - connectix 5.x or Microsoft 2004 and 2007.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that it didn't support linux anymore.

Speaking of being selfish, virtual PC, after being bought over by Microsoft became a freeware.
That wouldn't be the case if connectix were still developing it.
Studio Madcrow
nhuabo wrote:
The best and the most professional Virtual machine is VMware .
It offer free version now,try it.
You will find it is great.

Mostly true, but each can run a few things that the other can't. VPC is the only game in town for running OS/2 (a pretty cool OS that had a few decent software packages and whose Desktop was totally ripped off by Win95. Tabs, mini-icons on the title bar, right-click menus and more were all "invented" by OS/2 and copied by Windows 95)
silverdown
Cool, Im gonna go check it out right now sounds interesting. thanks for posting about it Laughing
HollyK
Odd, it should be able to run Linux. I used to run Debian under Virtual PC 5, and it worked well enough. However, the emulation was sluggish, especially with Windows 98SE. Mac OSX can only be installed and used on Apple made computers (Well, actually, there is a way to bypass the DRM, but it's illegal under the DMCA). If Linux doesn't work under Virtual PC, then maybe you could use open source QEMU here , and the Windows port, now in Alpha stage.
billgertz
i will stick to VMware other that Virtual PC. VMWare has better emulation in terms of devices. adding a usb device in VMware is a good example compared to MS Virtual PC 2007 which doesn't support it. also, I was able to setup a test lab using Windows 2003 Server R2 and a Windows XP on my laptop and it was easy. and fun too. I can now learn how to install and manage a local server.

installing ubuntu in Virtual PC is not easy. You will find a hard time installing it because of screen size problem. Virtual PC doesn't Display the entire installation screen if you are to install ubuntu on text mode. I've tried it. I was installing the ubuntustudio on Virtual PC and the installation screen is not completely shown. To my frustration I did not continue because I cannot find the right options to install.

but anyway. the only thing I love about Virtual PC is the Virtual Hardisk Complexity. not unlike VMware, you can virtually assign the hardisk size of your Virtual Machine without eating up the exact size on your hard Drive. That's All I can say. I hope my observations helps.

Long Live Frihost.