FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think of Supreme Commander? and possibly others?

Bump_on_a_Log08
Well, my brother already ordered Supreme Commander so I should have it in the next couple of days or so, but I was just wondering what some of you think about the game. I have looked at the website and it looks pretty nice. Also I thoroughly enjoyed playing Total Annihilation (I hope I spelled that correctly) when I was younger and this game was designed by the same guy. And I can't wait to actually use my dual-screen setup for something since I heard that there is some dual-screen functionality in Supreme Commander.

Also I would like to know if it is worth buying the following games:

1) Age of Empires 3 & the expansion
2) Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (pretty sure this is worth it)
3) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

...I'll probably think of more later.

And, only if you feel like, tell me how well it works on your computer and just some of the basic stats of your computer like cpu speed (ours is an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.20Ghz), amount of RAM (ours is 1Gb), and graphics card name and memory size (ours is an nVidia GeForce 8500 GT with 512 MB of VRAM).

Oh and feel free to ask people opinions about other games as well.
PseudoKnight
RE: SupCom

If you bought the game already, don't even bother listening to what others think. However, if you enjoyed playing TA, chances are you'll enjoy SupCom as well provided your comp can handle it. (personally, I'm more of a tactical RTS guy)

It runs like crap on my computer. (Athlon 3000+, 1GB, 6600GT) I turn everything down and it's playable at the beginning. However, once the fighting gets intense the experience was very unenjoyable due to the low frame rate. It would be better if I didn't insist on using a mini-map. Your comp will do marginally better with your slightly better CPU and graphics card, but don't think it'll be able to handle dual-monitors well with this game.

Quote:
Also I would like to know if it is worth buying the following games:

1) Age of Empires 3 & the expansion
2) Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (pretty sure this is worth it)
3) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
They are all excellent games. You can't go wrong with any of them as long as you like other similar games.
ric05
I played Supreme Commander at a friends house. I thought it was little complicated...LOL. C&C : Tiberium Wars was a great game on the 360 IMO.

I'm not to sure how the game will handle with your processor. I agree with Knight though. You will have frame rate issues when the fights get large. Your graphics card it fine.
Bump_on_a_Log08
yeah since I'm using CRT monitors they have a max framerate of 60 fps and I'm used to games running around 30 fps and I'm usually ok with that. Wow and between our old graphics card and our new one there was a big performance change with games like Oblivione and Neverwinter Night 2 and a little change in games like Fable and Act of War: Direct Action and Homeworld 2. Everything else is too old to have made much of a difference performance wise. The only problem with Oblivion and NWN2 is that they like to crash. Well I know that NWN2 in general has been buggy since its release and the expansion of Oblivion has also been buggy. We are thinking about completey re-installing Oblivion and the expansion to see if it helps, plus we are running quite a few minor mods including most of the official ones.

Plus I feel like listing all the games on my desktop right now, I know we have more:

Warcraft III, Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, Homeworld, Homeworld 2, Master of Orion 3, Command and Conquer Generals, Act of War: Direct Action, Age of Empires 2: Conquerors, Age of Mythology, Evil Genius, Mob Rule, Shogun: Total War, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 05, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07, Race Driver 3, Freelancer, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum, Grand Theft Auto 3, The Sims Complete, Arcanum, Sacred, Fable: The Lost Chapters, Dungeon Siege, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, Diablo II, Oblivion, and America's Army. Oh and I know we also have Riven installed. As you can see most of our games are older so thats why they are getting boring for me. Plus our 140Gb HD is about maxed out because my brother told me Supreme Commander uses about 10Gb. So we're going to have to clear out some space. In fact probably a little more than 5Gb, actually that probably should not be very difficult because we have lots of installers sitting around in folders that could be deleted, I'm sure that will probably clear out quite a bit more space. I really need to get some CD+/-RWs or some DVD+ or - RWs because we only have CDRs. No, what would be awesome would be Dual-Layer Lightscribe DVD-RWs, thats if they exist.
basementgamesltd
Hey all,

Yes, it's true that you need a relatively updated computer system with a decent graphics card to get the most out of Supreme Commander, but the requirements are not that high or unrealistic by todays standards. I run a basic Windows Vista PC with a Pentium Dual Core processor and a DirectX 9 nVidia graphics card (7900GS) and it runs great, and fast. If your computer is older, or has an outdated video card, don't expect to get the most from this game. If your PC is relatively up-to-date, then you will enjoy this game very much.

The gameplay of Supreme Commander is quite good, with a lot of depth and online gaming options. But the most impressive part of the game is the graphics engine that allows you to zoom out to get an entire world view, or zoom in to view individual units up close and personal. This makes setting up a strategy and micro-managing your units quite easy, and then allows you to zoom right into the action to get a great ground level view of the mayhem you unleash.

The combination of ground, air and naval units are nicely balanced, and you often need to use all three wisely to complete missions in the single player campaigns.

The stories in the single player campaign are well written. The voice acting and CGI cut scenes are also well done.

I highly recommend this game to fans of other classic RTS games like Command and Conquer, Starcraft or Age of Empires.

This is the next step in RTS gaming (along with THQ's other new World War II RTS game, Company of Heroes), so upgrade those old systems and start your gaming at the next level. You won't be sorry.

Keep it real....
Bump_on_a_Log08
Oh yeah, sorry on the late reply, but we got the game a few days ago. Like PseudoKnight said, it runs pretty well at first but when I get to about somewhere between 300 and 500 units the frame rate is incredibly slow, though if you are patient enough you can fight through it. Also increasing the game speed doesn't help much around that time after the game speed is set higher than four the game actually starts slowing back down again. I about 90% sure that its because our CPU can't really handle the game. Its only, like I said before, a 2.20GHz.