FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How will I know if the mail is delievered or not ??

refinedruffian
Hello Everyone,

I have a question. How will I come to know if I send a mail via mail() function in php is delievered or not ??

It returns 1 if the mail is sent but how to know that it reached the destination ???

Can anyone help me ??
SpellcasterDX
Just send a test email using phpmail() to yourself. Or, if you have forums, register a test account and check to make sure you received the email.
refinedruffian
Sorry. I didnt get u.

If i send mail to ppl in my website. How will i know if it is delievered or not ??
Bondings
It's simple. You don't. Email is a push system, like the physical post system. For normal physical mail, you are not sure that it arrives either. The email can disappear anywhere before it reaches the email account, and there it could be removed due to a spam filter or server crash.
refinedruffian
Then while using the mail services we do get a faliure notice. Why is it so ???
Bondings
refinedruffian wrote:
Then while using the mail services we do get a faliure notice. Why is it so ???

Because a server isn't able to deliver the email and sends that failure message. A failure notice means that the email most likely wasn't delivered, but even that isn't 100% sure. It's like the post office sending the mail back because person x doesn't live at that address or that address doesn't exist. But if you don't get a failure notice, that doesn't mean that the email is delivered.
refinedruffian
Ok. So is there any way using PHP that we can get the returned mail back??

I mean when we send a mail to a wrong address using PHP then can we come to know if the mail comes back ??

Something similar to gmail. when we send it to a wrong email it comes back. But in mail() function it does not comes back but instead is shows mail sent successfully by returning 1.