FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VERY funky problem! Sound card humming cracking wi/ latency?

Jaan
Hi all, I just discovered that my speakers (creative inspire 5700 5.1) emit a popping/humming sound and pop when I scroll with my mouse. This is veery strange. I think it may be the hardware, as these are over 5 years old. My latency is set to 10ms...
Routing is as follows - sb audigy digital out to DIN on box.

Can anyone see the light?
Mannix
I have an idea. By any chance, is your mouse and your speakers (i.e. headphone amp) plugged into the same USB hum, or an adjacent USB port? If so, you may be getting voltage drops accross the common V-supply. ...You might try plugging the mouse into a different part of your computer. ...I solved a similar problem by getting a seperate USB humb for my headphone's amp.
brokenadvice
This happens to me with headphones. I have a PS2 (or whatever the non USB mouses are called) mouse. It also makes noises when I minimize or maximize windows too which is even stranger.
froginabox
Hmmm.

You may want to go to your local electronics store (e.g. RadioShack) and get an RF choke (ferrite bead) to put around your speaker signal cable. That may or may solve the problem with the RF interference. Worth a shot...