FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HP QuickPlay

Tony The Tiger
I have just discovered the coolest feature on my laptop. I have about 4 different pieces of software that I can use to play my DVDs. I just discovered a feature on the proprietary Hewlett Packard QuickPlay software. With this software one can set a DVD to play at 1.2, 1.4, 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32x. I watched the entire length of Norbit and most of the Queen at 1.2x and most of Apocalypto at 1.4x. In English 1.4 distorts the voices too much, but in captioned movies like Apocalypto 1.4x is not so bad. It enables me to cut down on viewing time and see what all the fuss is about with certain movies. I do not think I am missing anything by viewing fast.
eznet
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I do not think I am missing anything by viewing fast.

Nothing but the artistic delivery Smile

I am glad to see someone likes QuickPlay... My DV6000t came preinstalled with it (obviously) and I have not been too big of a fan. QuickPlay is controlled by a row of buttons located at the top of the keyboard - I, personally, find the keys to be a bit of a nuance as they are easy to trigger and accidentally start quickPlay or the computer if it is powered off. I like watching my movies with VLC, so quickplay never gets used...

What version of Windows are you running? I was quite excited about the QuickPlay before I received my notebook as I had previously read of the XP version, which actually resides on a separate partition and allows the user to boot into a stripped down, media geared variant of XP. Mine (unfortunately) has Vista and is far less clever - merely a proprietary piece of software to clog the hard drive (to never be erased because then what will the buttons do?). I have considered installing the XP QuickPlay as I have read some nice things about it but I dang sure don't like the Vista version. IMHO.
kiranaghor
This software came with my new HP laptop. It sucks. The is the most boring piece of hardware I ever saw. It is utterly useless.
Tony The Tiger
eznet wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I do not think I am missing anything by viewing fast.

What version of Windows are you running? I was quite excited about the QuickPlay before I received my notebook as I had previously read of the XP version, which actually resides on a separate partition and allows the user to boot into a stripped down, media geared variant of XP. Mine (unfortunately) has Vista and is far less clever - merely a proprietary piece of software to clog the hard drive (to never be erased because then what will the buttons do?). I have considered installing the XP QuickPlay as I have read some nice things about it but I dang sure don't like the Vista version. IMHO.

I use Vista Home Premium. I watched another movie at 1.4 yesterday. It was called "Power and Terror: Noam Chomsky in Our Times". I watched it in about 50 minutes. It was awesome to be able to speed it up. Unless I really want to sit back and enjoy something or I want to kill some time I will just about always speed it up to 1.2x. Almost nothing is lost at 1.2. I kind of miss the ability to press a button and skip to the next track, but the 1.2 x makes up for it.
eznet
Like watching a movie on speed... without the speed...
Tony The Tiger
eznet wrote:
Like watching a movie on speed... without the speed...

It all really depends on the movie. If there is a lot of athletic activity including hand to hand combat, 1.2 can look a little curious. The majority of most movies are fine speeded up a little. When one of the actors starts running, it looks odd. Most speech and most normal activity looks fine.
varun_dodla
I just got my HP DV6000t with Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of dayz back and it has quick play pre installed and the best thing i see for watching movies is the remote control that came in the package. That is cool as it also works with other players like Media Player Classic for basic controls.....still to discover it in full..... Wink
eznet
varun_dodla wrote:
I just got my HP DV6000t with Windows Vista Home Premium a couple of dayz back and it has quick play pre installed and the best thing i see for watching movies is the remote control that came in the package. That is cool as it also works with other players like Media Player Classic for basic controls.....still to discover it in full..... Wink

I love my dv6000t so far... Vista, well thats another story. I opted for the Home Premium as well. Good thing about this notebook is most everything works out of the box for Ubuntu Linux... So when you get tired of Windows ME2007 (Vista), Ubuntu is there and free....
Tony The Tiger
varun_dodla wrote:

I have not used the remote as much because I like to flip to 1.2 and 1.4 mode. Often times I want to be able to quickly flip back to 1.0. I don't know how to switch back and forth using the mini remote so I just gave up and control everything by hand.
beach4bum
The 1.2x 1.4x feature is the greatest thing for watching movies, tv shows on DVD at 1.2x you rarely notice it. Many movies are fine at 1.4X. I once watched one at 2.0X it was due back at the library that was a bit fast. Wish it had more stops like 1.3X and 1.5X
Now if only Netflix streaming could do the same thing
Tony The Tiger
beach4bum wrote:
The 1.2x 1.4x feature is the greatest thing for watching movies, tv shows on DVD at 1.2x you rarely notice it. Many movies are fine at 1.4X. I once watched one at 2.0X it was due back at the library that was a bit fast. Wish it had more stops like 1.3X and 1.5X
Now if only Netflix streaming could do the same thing

I agree that it would be good if we had a dial or slider to control the speed. I usually watch 1.2x and sometimes at 1.4x. Often I get my blockbuster online videos in the mail and can watch two before the 5:00 last pickup at the mailbox down the street.
williamsguides
A comfortable HP Quick Play allow users access to video, photos, audio files, streaming TV, just a few clicks. A great sound system, HP provides a surprisingly clear sound. Listen to your favorite songs on this laptop is a real pleasure.
Tony The Tiger
williamsguides wrote:
A comfortable HP Quick Play allow users access to video, photos, audio files, streaming TV, just a few clicks. A great sound system, HP provides a surprisingly clear sound. Listen to your favorite songs on this laptop is a real pleasure.

I am not sure quickplay is as good all around as stuff like HP Smart DVD, but I prefer it for the chance to play my DVDs at 1.2 and 1.4x speed on a regular basis to save time.