FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


XP SP2 Firewall Disabled





kv
I installed SP2 on my XP m/c. I found that the firewall was disabled. I had few viruses but used latest avg to clean the system. I also ran "netsh winsock reset" as suggested in microsoft support site. Still firewall is disabled. Any idea why and how to fix this?
otiscom
Go into control panel select Windows Firewall and turn it on !
kv
It is DISABLED, not turned off. I cannot turn it on. All the controls (on/off radio buttons, etc) are disabled in firewall settings.
mystzero
Do you mean that the Windows Firewall service is being disabled?

If that's the case, do the following:

  1. Go to "Start" --> "Run". Type in services.msc and click "OK".
  2. Once the services window is opened, search for the service named "Windows Firewall".
  3. Double-click on it and you will be presented with another window.
  4. Under the "Startup Type:" option, select Automatic.
  5. Then, click on the "Start" button below.


Actually, I don't get what you mean by "Disabled". Are you trying to say that when you tried to enable the Windows Firewall service, an error message pops up?
kv
mystzero wrote:
Do you mean that the Windows Firewall service is being disabled?


No. The ICS service is running

mystzero wrote:


Actually, I don't get what you mean by "Disabled". Are you trying to say that when you tried to enable the Windows Firewall service, an error message pops up?


When I go to control panel/windows firewall, it shows that the firewall is off (off radiobutton selected). To enable, I have to select on radio button and click ok, but all the radiobutton and checkboxes on that page is disabled (I can't select).
mystzero
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall]



  1. Copy the above contents and paste them into notepad.
  2. Save it to your desktop as fix.reg.
  3. Go to your desktop and double-click on that file.
  4. You will be ask whether you would want to merge it to the registry. Click Yes.
  5. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
internetjobs
try to do some registry modification. logon as local administrator, and fix the problems.
kv
mystzero wrote:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall]



  1. Copy the above contents and paste them into notepad.
  2. Save it to your desktop as fix.reg.
  3. Go to your desktop and double-click on that file.
  4. You will be ask whether you would want to merge it to the registry. Click Yes.
  5. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.


This didn't help, but running "netsh firewall reset" fixed the issue.
Related topics
Ochrona komputera
Nvidia Firewall.. Any good??
win xp sp2 crashes during recovery, can't be detected ..?
free antivirus v. norton
xp speed problems
How to Configure the Built in Firewall in WinXP
This is how to make a Bluetooth headset work with XP SP2
Windows XP sp2 firewall!
[Official] Security: Anti-Spyware/Virus, & Firewall
firewall on Windows XP SP2
Windows XP SP3 comming soon
How to hide tray icon
FIREWALL PROBLEM
Keyboard Language Problem with Windows XP SP2
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.