FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Community Newsletter

m-productions
Ok, I did a search, and I know a newsletter has been suggest before, and thought about ... ect However, i have another take on this. First, unlike the others, the newsletter isnt e-mailed to everyone, honestly i hate sites that do that. If i want to see the news, I want to be able to come and click a link maybe or something.. anyway... thats not the point of this

Instead of a newsletter JUST about frihost, it will be a news letter put up by the full community of frihost. different people can choose different sections of the news letter to write, from, movie reviews, to games, cars, celebrities, technology, and of course, the newst frihost news.

I have done this on my old forum, and people really liked it. Everyone can take apart of it, they all sumbit their articles to one place, and someone puts them all together into once nice little topic that we can then post on the forum once a month. This would be a great way for the community to all get together and share new information, This would surly be good quality posts, and a good read.

Please give your feedback on this idea, and it dosnt even have to be the "official one" Actually... if enough people want to do it, cant we make an unofficial frihost newsletter? I just think this would be kind of fun to do.

(and yes i know there is a section in the forums for each one of these, but if there was (for example) one news letter, and its stickyed once a month or what not, people will want to write more, and share more, leading in better quality post for this.
Ratmaster
For this, there would need to be a specific moderator for this job in each forum since I am not sure one person would do a newsletter for each forum because they may not like all the subject.

This could be good like in the shows/movies section, there could be a spot show every week and a spot movie, along with a section on the newest movies and the newest shows along with a description for each, but the the spot show and spot movie should not be SUPER old, and not be SUPER new.

The cars/vehicles section should have the newest models from different dealers and new offers. Frihost could get money advertising with this, a lot! And a spot vehicle for the season it is good for. Like before said, not too old or new. Along with upcoming models.

The hobbies/collections area could have spot collections of someone or a frihost user. Along with newest and upcoming coin releases for coins, card packs/sets for card games, upcoming stamps, and more.

The news area could basically state all the major news that happened within the week. This could be several newsletters like current events, science, software/hardware, etc.

The religion area should have more then one newsletter because there are different religions. It could show archaeological discoveries leading to more knowledge to a certain religion. Along with a random good will practice or something.

I'm out of ideas for the moment, someone continue with this.
m-productions
Ratmaster wrote:
For this, there would need to be a specific moderator for this job in each forum since I am not sure one person would do a newsletter for each forum because they may not like all the subject.

This could be good like in the shows/movies section, there could be a spot show every week and a spot movie, along with a section on the newest movies and the newest shows along with a description for each, but the the spot show and spot movie should not be SUPER old, and not be SUPER new.

The cars/vehicles section should have the newest models from different dealers and new offers. Frihost could get money advertising with this, a lot! And a spot vehicle for the season it is good for. Like before said, not too old or new. Along with upcoming models.

The hobbies/collections area could have spot collections of someone or a frihost user. Along with newest and upcoming coin releases for coins, card packs/sets for card games, upcoming stamps, and more.

The news area could basically state all the major news that happened within the week. This could be several newsletters like current events, science, software/hardware, etc.

The religion area should have more then one newsletter because there are different religions. It could show archaeological discoveries leading to more knowledge to a certain religion. Along with a random good will practice or something.

I'm out of ideas for the moment, someone continue with this.

no no, you got my idea all wrong, there wouldnt be a newst letter for each section, It would be ONE news letter, I only even talked about the other forums because i didnt want someone to come and say "we dont need a news letter about this because we have forum sections for each part" It would be 1 thread,that as the full news letter. and be placed... in either the general area or the news and announcements section.

There would only need to be one main editor, this is the person that takes all the articles that are submitted and puts them all into one. This is a very easy job, and I loved doing back in the day.
Ratmaster
Yes, but then it would contain things that most people would not care about. They may only want a few subjects instead of something with only a short summary of everything.
m-productions
Ratmaster wrote:
Yes, but then it would contain things that most people would not care about. They may only want a few subjects instead of something with only a short summary of everything.

then they jut dont read that part of it..... the same way works with a newspaper... noone cars about every thing in it..they just skip over something they dont want.

Same goes for this, it would be easy to see all the news... and itll be fun for the members (who like to write and find news) to make. And if it is stickied, where people will read it, this will make people want to write arctiles for the news letter, because they know people will see them (thus, this makes for more people doing more quality posts.)
Ratmaster
m-productions wrote:
Ratmaster wrote:

then they jut dont read that part of it..... the same way works with a newspaper... noone cars about every thing in it..they just skip over something they dont want.

Same goes for this, it would be easy to see all the news... and itll be fun for the members (who like to write and find news) to make. And if it is stickied, where people will read it, this will make people want to write arctiles for the news letter, because they know people will see them (thus, this makes for more people doing more quality posts.)
Wouldn't it take a week then to make a weekly newsletter? And wouldn't it be too big?
m-productions
Ratmaster wrote:
m-productions wrote:
Ratmaster wrote:

Wouldn't it take a week then to make a weekly newsletter? And wouldn't it be too big?

I said it would be once a month. not once a week.. and .. actulyl i would be big..but that dosnt matter at all, once again, big is good, as long as its detailed!!!

Check this out A news letter from a forum I use to go to that is created from the useres of the forum that have become part of the news staff.

also having articles such as, sig of the month, member of the month and such would be great!
reddishblue
I support this, and think it's a great idea, there are lots of members here who are great writers of posts and most members have a section they like a lot, Gamers in their section, Sporty...people in their section.

Everyone would have a lot to write about, the only tough part will be deciding who gets to be a journalist for their section. But I don't think there will be any shortage of members. One main writer, and one backup writer should do just fine.

Reddish
m-productions
reddishblue wrote:
I support this, and think it's a great idea, there are lots of members here who are great writers of posts and most members have a section they like a lot, Gamers in their section, Sporty...people in their section.

Everyone would have a lot to write about, the only tough part will be deciding who gets to be a journalist for their section. But I don't think there will be any shortage of members. One main writer, and one backup writer should do just fine.

Reddish

this is a very true problem, but luckily theres mutliple stories in each section, for example, I would like to do some game reviews, a lot of people would like this, but now..

you have ps3, wii, xbox 360, thats 3 things... 3 writers, there can also be a game of he month ... ect ...

and Im alsot likeing the idea now of a "member of the month" "sig of the month" "topic of the month" ...ect, to be placed in this news letter, this will also make people who arnt apart of the "news staff" to want to write better topics and help out more, so they can get an article written about them =)-, but thats just one idea.

granted this might all take a lot of work, but I for one would be happy to use my time to put something meaningfull like this together, and as reddish said, there are plenty of others that would love to as well.
garionw
Yeah, Great Idea!

We can have the Fantastic Frihoster (or whatever it was called) and featured discussions.
m-productions
garionw wrote:
Yeah, Great Idea!

We can have the Fantastic Frihoster (or whatever it was called) and featured discussions.

Yes!! exactly!! and we can also throw in, frihost site of the month... (just thought of this one) .. theres loads of fun articles we can add, plus ones users will add. And if we get really good articles, people will want to make comments about it, which might lead to even further quality posts, just want bondings wants ^_~ and like other suggestions, this one.. take..no work at all to approve. if it does, we spread the word..in a simple sticky... (the first months article would be a little iffy as it would have just started) We will get the first batch of writers.. someone adds them, posts, mod stickies.. done. simple.
truespeed
Its a good idea,perhaps as m-productions thought of it, he could be the editor,who then chooses which submitted articles make up the finished newsletter,that way there will be a consistency from month to month in terms of style,feel and quality.
m-productions
I wouldnt mind being the editor, in fact, i wouldnt mind taking space on my web hosting to make a "article submitter" where writers can upload their article, I think take them all, and put them together, then give them to the mod who can then sticky it (this is of course only if this does get accepted and it becomes "official frih news"). Hopefully someone who can make this happen will read this soon and give feedback.
Hogwarts
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-38626.html

Bondings) wrote:
DeFwh, this has already been discussed quite a few times. It is indeed a good idea, but has however quite a few disadvantages as we're talking about a lot of people and email providers could see this as spam and block our email.

Anyway, all problems aside. I am planning to make a newsletter (probably monthly) for members to opt in, but I doubt it will be soon.

There you have it. Bondings thinks it's a good idea and is planning to make one - although knowing Bondings, I doubt this will ever happen anytime soon.

Perhaps this thread could serve as a reminder to Bondings.. Smile

(Perhaps make an un-official one? Best ask his permission first, though!)
m-productions
Hogwarts wrote:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-38626.html

Bondings) wrote:
DeFwh, this has already been discussed quite a few times. It is indeed a good idea, but has however quite a few disadvantages as we're talking about a lot of people and email providers could see this as spam and block our email.

Anyway, all problems aside. I am planning to make a newsletter (probably monthly) for members to opt in, but I doubt it will be soon.

There you have it. Bondings thinks it's a good idea and is planning to make one - although knowing Bondings, I doubt this will ever happen anytime soon.

Perhaps this thread could serve as a reminder to Bondings.. Smile

(Perhaps make an un-official one? Best ask his permission first, though!)

awww, thanks for that hogwarts, as i said in my post, I did a few searches myself, but after reading the first 3 i saw, they all said the same thing.. a news letter ONLY about frihost. anyway... if the community takes lead in this, it might get done right away, as bondings wont have to do much at all for it.

edit: after reading it, one of the things was said was about the e-mail, as i said in my first post.. i dont want this to be e-mailed.. but a sticked forum topic, and because of this, it wont take any time to put together.

I wouldnt mind doing an unofficial one, (id ask bondings) but i dont know how to get people to know about it unless it was official.
Bondings
M-productions, just a heads up, I am still planning to make a newsletter, but it might take a while, as all things here. I haven't read the whole thread yet (in a hurry currently), so I'll comment on the specifics later on.
m-productions
Bondings wrote:
M-productions, just a heads up, I am still planning to make a newsletter, but it might take a while, as all things here. I haven't read the whole thread yet (in a hurry currently), so I'll comment on the specifics later on.

alright, thats fine, thanks for taking the time to spot this topic, ill be looking forward to your feedback, and as of the other threads i have read, i believe, and hope there are some good and unique suggestions in this one, as I dont want it to be just another "can we have a news message" thread. Cause as of this suggestion, the way I have it set in mind, it will be little to know work for you, all the members take care of it and such (with a editors of course.. but they will be members as well).... anyway ill be waiting for your feedback on this ^^