FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

general server probs!

Slick
Hi

wats been goin on with the server recently?

at certain times ive noticed the server becoming real slow then pages are not displayable... and cant access my site files etc...

this also then makes my chatroom crash as it cant access the msql database and relevent php files

if i could please have some info or possible causes of this..

can u tell me if it's likely to continue? if so i'll have to go to a paid service purely for reliability which i'd hate to have to do as the features and help you give here in-valuable!

cheers

Slick
Maka
It's not a bandwith problem, it's a cpu problem, for the amount of sites hosted there shouldnt be such a high load.
Slick
any idea wat the cause is then?

i did look at the server status once while i culdnt access my site files, and it was somin like 2.44

crazy Confused

could it be errors in peoples scripts causin the processor to sort of lock up?

bit like a windows error lockin out and then the cpu locked at 100% till the problem application is shut down...
Bondings
We had a few server attacks/hacking attempts recently. Such a things happen a lot with free hosts due to people whose account is removed due to illegal files, due to competitors or due to kids with way too much free time.

About the server load, the average is quite normal, it can hold easily to 4 without slowing down. When it's really slow, then it is somewhere between 10 and 150. This is either caused by an attack, a bad-coded script or a lot of people backing up their websites and installing all fantastico-software for testing and deleting it again a few minutes later.

However, at the moment, there aren't many slow periods (1-2 a day for a few minutes). I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of paid hosts have worse statistics. They also experience slow moments and down time. Sometimes even a lot more then here, depending where, of course. Wink