FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Columbia?

lukejones
Hello,
I'm interested in visiting, or maybe living in Columbia. Has anyboby been there?
Columbia is ranked as the most dangerous country in the world, with the highest murder rate. I'm wondering if this is between certain people, or whether it would effect anyone living there.
If anyone has been to Columbia, could you please tell us about it?

Luke
iyepes
Ejem, first please correct your post, the right name is "Colombia".

The statistics you mentioned are outdated, It used to be like that, but now death rates are much lower than Iraq, and other countries with declared conflicts.

If you really want to know more about Colombia, (real information), I can post you some links to information and travel guides.
lukejones
They're not out dated, I heard this recently.
I'm very very very sorry for mispelling the name!
iyepes
Can you edit the post name?, I really appreciate if you do that.

Even you have heard them recently, they aren't accurate. I can tell you crime have drop in our cities from 65 people murdered in a weekend (17 years ago), to 6 to 5 people, which is comparable with other cities around the world. I know it's not totally safe, but it's not to be considered more dangerous than countries with declared conflicts.

I will add some links to touristic guides, in case you want to check.

http://www.turismocolombia.com/home.asp?IDCompany=127
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/south-america/colombia
azbuky
Hi!

I've never been to Colombia, but I've meet someone from Colombia and he described the country so well, that I suddenly fell for it! I advice you to visit it before you decide if you want to live there or not.
lukejones
5 or 6 people dead in one weekend is not comparable to all other cities in the world.
There are many cities where no one dies in a weekend.
iyepes
If you want to check statistcs, look at this link http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html about US crime rates, For example Atlanta, Ga. 10,839 crimes by 1.000 inhabitants, Memphis, Tenn. 10,071 crimes by 1.000 inhabitants, Oklahoma City, Okla. 10,013 crimes by 1.000 inhabitants

An this other link http://www.scribd.com/doc/21670/Crime-Statistics-Murders where you can find South Africa as the first country, Colombia as the second and US as the 8th. None of the countries listed have declared conflicts, so countries like Israel an Iraq aren't listed.

One thing is that you want to visit Colombia as an informed traveler (I posted you reliable links before, like the lonely planet guide) and want to protect yourself. But if you only want to look at the statistics, you shouldn't go out from your home.
patasarriba
As long as we're talking about statistics, it seems worth mentioning that the most dangerous city in the world is Rio de Janiero, murder rate-wise. How many thousands of foreign tourists visit Rio every year? You can't generalize about a city, much less an entire country, based on the statistics. In Colombia, you'd have a very real chance of being the victim of a violent crime if you paddle your own canoe past drug labs in the Putumayo region. But if you fly into Barranquilla, take a bus to Santa Marta, and stay in a hotel in Tayrona National Park, the worst you're likely to suffer is mosquito bites. So yes, there are plenty of unsavory places in Colombia. But it's a relatively large country and is home to 40 million people. So there are also plenty of safe and enjoyable places you can go to! Visit the Museo del Oro in Bogota, fly to Medellin and spend a weekend in Santa Elena, fly to Cartagena and walk through fortresses. Flights are pretty cheap if you'd rather err on the side of caution, although high-end buses that tend to cost about $2 an hour are also perfectly safe, especially during the day. So don't go trekking to Ciudad Perdida without a guide, don't wear hiking shorts around in cities, and don't speak in English in a loud voice. You'll make tons of friends, see amazing sites and have a great time!
schmitzaah
As long as you are not planning on going into the jungles or any other very rural areas you should be fine. I was in Medellin this December and also made a trip to Tolu (a small town about three hours west of Cartagena) and had an amazing time. And yes, the crime/murder rate is dramatically lowered. I am pretty sure Washington D.C. has a higher murder rate. But like any foreign country always be safe and do not go to unfamiliar places at night or alone. I wouldn't recommend that in any place where you do not speak the language.

happy travels Very Happy
patasarriba
lukejones wrote:
They're not out dated, I heard this recently.

The fact that statistics were repeated to you recently does not mean that they were compiled recently.

lukejones wrote:
5 or 6 people dead in one weekend is not comparable to all other cities in the world.
There are many cities where no one dies in a weekend.

If you're so skeptical about Colombia, why are you even asking about going there?

Some tourist-friendly places in Colombia where nobody dies in a weekend: Santa Elena, Tolu (as mentioned by schmitzaah) and surrounding areas, Capurgana. There's also a place two hours north of Medellin, I forget what it's called but it's something like Santa Fe de Antioquia, where there are lots of nice hotels and resorts and I doubt many people die in a normal weekend. A bunch of good writers are apparently from there. If you have the money you could also go to one of the resort-y hotels in Bocagrande, you'd be in Colombia but would never have to leave your hotel if you don't want to. The Zona Cafetera (Armenia, Pereira, Manizales) is also very low-crime from what I can tell, and there's lots of stuff to do. (I wasn't there for very long, but I'd especially recommend Manizales.) Melgar is apparently a great place to party during holidays and I felt incredibly safe there. Same goes for El Pintado -- you can go camping there, they have at least one mini-resort.

And if you really want to visit the Colombian Amazon, you can fly to Leticia. (From there you can take a boat to Ipiales, Tabatinga, Manaus, all the way to Belem.) And you will not be murdered, at least not till you get to Peru and Brazil!

Tranquilo parcero que todo va a estar bien...
annagm
Can you edit the post name?, I really appreciate if you do that.

Even you have heard them recently, they aren't accurate. I can tell you crime have drop in our cities from 65 people murdered in a weekend (17 years ago), to 6 to 5 people, which is comparable with other cities around the world. I know it's not totally safe, but it's not to be considered more dangerous than countries with declared conflicts.

iyepes wrote:
I will add some links to touristic guides, in case you want to check.

http://www.turismocolombia.com/home.asp?IDCompany=127
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/south-america/colombia

Just to say that that Lonely Planet link doesn't work any more - you can try http://www.lonelyplanet.com/colombia instead. Or have a look at http://www.realworldholidays.co.uk/guide/colombiaguide.aspx for some good info and photos. Seriously, don't worry about Colombia - it's awwwweeessssome!
jajarvin
My sister lived In Colombia for a half year. At her first night in a hotel her password was stolen.
She had to fly to fly to Venezuela in order to get a new passport.
She worked as nanny in a family. She had no more trouble in living there.
dude_xyx
I like to visit Himalayan Region specially Ladakh area. Also Tibet but I don't know Chinese govenment issue tourist Visa for Tibet.