FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu help

imagefree
Hi friends!!!
few days back i got my free Ubuntu CD (thanks to the org), but it seems to be useless because after spending an hour using Live CD, i was still at the first point, even MY Computer and my drives cdefghij none is found. Very Happy . So, what was this? can someone guide me.

I request Mods or someone expert Ubuntu/Kubuntu user to place some Tutorials to start using net on Ubuntu and finding saved files etc.

Please guide me.
LostOverThere
Best place to try would be the Ubuntu forums, ask there.

http://ubuntuforums.org/
mehulved
Open System->Administration->Disks and try mounting all the drives.
Another way I know all drives mount is, open System->Administration->Gnome Partition Editor. When you run it, it mounts all the drives that are found. Once done, just close it.
If all this doesn't work, open Applications->Acessories->Terminal and type
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

And post the output here.
imagefree
mehulved wrote:
Open System->Administration->Disks and try mounting all the drives.
Another way I know all drives mount is, open System->Administration->Gnome Partition Editor. When you run it, it mounts all the drives that are found. Once done, just close it.
If all this doesn't work, open Applications->Acessories->Terminal and type
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

And post the output here.

Much difficult to undrstand Shocked Sad Crying or Very sad Mad Confused
mehulved
OK. You are trying to find C:, D: and all?
Unix doesn't have such drives. Rather *nix has heirarchial filesystem starting with / as the base.
Read http://www.pathname.com/fhs
is this what you wanted?
billgertz
Going to the mentioned forum is helpful. the live CD doesnt offer much features compared to the fully installed one. also, ubuntu doesnt tell you drive C, drive D, etc, it tells you the label name of your drives. or sda1, sda2 etc if you did not specified a drive level in windows.
imagefree
mehulved wrote:
OK. You are trying to find C:, D: and all?
Unix doesn't have such drives. Rather *nix has heirarchial filesystem starting with / as the base.
Read http://www.pathname.com/fhs
is this what you wanted?

thanks
imagefree
billgertz wrote:
Going to the mentioned forum is helpful. the live CD doesnt offer much features compared to the fully installed one. also, ubuntu doesnt tell you drive C, drive D, etc, it tells you the label name of your drives. or sda1, sda2 etc if you did not specified a drive level in windows.

I labled my Drives in Windows.

One more thing i want to ask that the network administrator of our LAN told me not to install Ubuntu on a system where previously windows was installed because it will destroy the whole data and repartition. Is it correct?
mehulved
Doesn't really happen unless user makes an error. And new users are bound to make errors. And from what I have seen, the most difficult part for new users to negotiate while installing many OS's is partitioning. So, chances are you might not understand the partitioning pattern and mistakenly delete the windows partition.
imagefree
my friend suggested me to use vmware. is it rite?
MrBlueSky
imagefree wrote:
my friend suggested me to use vmware. is it rite?

With VMWare you run Linux in a virtual machine under windows. So you can use Windows and Linux at the same time. It has some advantages, but you need a fast PC with enough amount of memory (at least 512mb I would suggest), and the performance of Linux isn't as good as when running standalone. When you start with Linux it is a nice solution.
corey
I think that you'll find that getting another operating system installed under VMWare will be more of a learning experience than using a Live CD.

From what I am gathering, you want to play around with Ubuntu to see if you like Linux enough to use it more permanently. You really should read up on as much as you can to really familiarize yourself with this new thing.

We always forget how much it took to get beyond a basic understanding of our current operating system, just to get the computer to work. Learning a new way is hard, as we fall back to what we know.

About finding your saved materials:
You might find that when you explore "Computer" under "Places" in the taskbar, you get some icons that look like drives that say something like "40 Gigabyte Volume" or whatever. If you click on that icon, it will become mounted and you can explore it. You should be able to navigate to "Documents and Settings" and find your documents from there.

Good luck.