FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2 Avatar Suggestions

Ratmaster
1) Avatar Resizing
Could it be so there are two boxes that let you input the height and width of the avatar in the range of 100x100 or below? It would be much easier than resizing it yourself.

2) Remotely Hosted Avatars
Could we have it to be optional to use remotely hosted avatars? Like from your site, photobucket, etc. This would be good for people wishing to use php generated avatars that must be remotely hosted to work correctly.
reddishblue
Ratmaster wrote:
2) Remotely Hosted Avatars
Could we have it to be optional to use remotely hosted avatars? Like from your site, photobucket, etc. This would be good for people wishing to use php generated avatars that must be remotely hosted to work correctly.

We have that, check the enter URL part. Wink
As for the other, I think it's a good idea, but it will be tough to do, since Bondings doesn't use any PHPBB Mods.
Reddish
mathiaus
reddishblue wrote:
We have that, check the enter URL part. Wink

That copies the image from that URL to the server. It doesn't do what has been suggested.
ocalhoun
^Which I'm not terribly happy about; on other forums, I use a rotating avatar based on, you guessed it, a php script.

I do see why it is disabled though: I don't think the forum's code can regulate the size of a remote avatar like it can with a local avatar, which would mean that the only thing stopping someone with a remote avatar from using one that was too big would be the moderators.
m-productions
ocalhoun wrote:
^Which I'm not terribly happy about; on other forums, I use a rotating avatar based on, you guessed it, a php script.

I do see why it is disabled though: I don't think the forum's code can regulate the size of a remote avatar like it can with a local avatar, which would mean that the only thing stopping someone with a remote avatar from using one that was too big would be the moderators.

this is true, but then again, it wouldnt be that big of deal, out sigs can only be 50 kb, and there is no way of checking that...

I like this idea, im for it!, not that i use either option, but i could see why this could help others.
tidruG
Quote:
I don't think the forum's code can regulate the size of a remote avatar like it can with a local avatar, which would mean that the only thing stopping someone with a remote avatar from using one that was too big would be the moderators.
Exactly!

Quote:
this is true, but then again, it wouldnt be that big of deal, out sigs can only be 50 kb, and there is no way of checking that...
Which is why sometimes some users get away with sigs which are sometimes a little bigger than allowed. And as there are barely 15 mods, we can't possibly check ALL sigs Razz
m-productions
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
I don't think the forum's code can regulate the size of a remote avatar like it can with a local avatar, which would mean that the only thing stopping someone with a remote avatar from using one that was too big would be the moderators.
Exactly!

Quote:
Which is why sometimes some users get away with sigs which are sometimes a little bigger than allowed. And as there are barely 15 mods, we can't possibly check ALL sigs Razz

this is true, but do you really need to check, isnt that rule in place so that the load time per page isnt that big for users, so if someones sig is making big load time, its very easy to spot.
mathiaus
Easy to spot for mods using dial-up maybe, not so much for the majority of us using a faster connection. The users may notice the page loading slow but may not realise its due to someones sig, nor that they can report them for it.

Back to the avatar's ...
I don't like them to be dynamic. I recognise users by their avatar (why I hate it when they have them changed). I also don't see any point in it!
m-productions
mathiaus wrote:
Easy to spot for mods using dial-up maybe, not so much for the majority of us using a faster connection. The users may notice the page loading slow but may not realise its due to someones sig, nor that they can report them for it.

Back to the avatar's ...
I don't like them to be dynamic. I recognise users by their avatar (why I hate it when they have them changed). I also don't see any point in it!

o.0 .. i change my avatar a lot... I just changed it twice .. =( (dont hate me)

I can see why some people wont like this idea, and there is no "real" point to have a dynamic ava, nor is there a REAL reason for a dynamic sig, its just for fun.
Ratmaster
mathiaus wrote:

Back to the avatar's ...
I change mine like twice a week.
Ratmaster
Also, I have been on remotely hosted boards like hyperboards, and the only thing you can do with a custom avatar is link it. They are automatically resized if you do not put a height and width in the boxes. I'm sure it can be done here.