FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

website timing out

inphurno
over the last month different people have told me that they had problems accessing my site. i myself have also had timing out issues at different times, since i'm often changing content and layout on the site i end up "testing the server" from time to time.

the thing is that the website isnt very big maybe 3-4 mbs but even still it is slow sometimes loading the small amount or images i have in the site. what i want to know is have i done something wrong? is there something that i that i did (in the design or whatever) that is causing these timeouts and slowness issues?

thanks for your help guys in advance
k_s_baskar
Time out issue may occur due to poor net connection, firewall settings, poor quality of net connection from your isp, server side problems etc., but i am freqently using frihost servers to upload, view edit my contents. i did't find any timeout problems.

If you have still timeout problem try the following thing

1. Check your Net connection speed.
2. Try to access your site from different ISP
3. Remove firewall if any you have and try accessing your site
4. If still you face the problem try to contact MOD personally. I think they can help you
m-productions
inphurno wrote:
over the last month different people have told me that they had problems accessing my site. i myself have also had timing out issues at different times, since i'm often changing content and layout on the site i end up "testing the server" from time to time.

the thing is that the website isnt very big maybe 3-4 mbs but even still it is slow sometimes loading the small amount or images i have in the site. what i want to know is have i done something wrong? is there something that i that i did (in the design or whatever) that is causing these timeouts and slowness issues?

thanks for your help guys in advance

simply put, your on server 2, server 2 has the new members who dont know what they are doing (or in fact know and do it on purpose) and make massive ammounts of server lag due to cron jobs or mass e-mails ...ect

but as the person above me said, those are also very good possiblites, just dont forgot, server 2 does got down for 1 min ever 1 hours.
inphurno
different people who live in different places around the world have the same issue that i do, so lets not talk about isp problems and firewall settings...

is there any reason why server 2 does got down for 1 min ever hour? i dont do cron jobs or mass e-mails but if many people do that on my server i can see how i could get affected, so is there anyway to get onto server 1?
m-productions
inphurno wrote:
different people who live in different places around the world have the same issue that i do, so lets not talk about isp problems and firewall settings...

is there any reason why server 2 does got down for 1 min ever hour? i dont do cron jobs or mass e-mails but if many people do that on my server i can see how i could get affected, so is there anyway to get onto server 1?

No, they dont let people switch servers, and the reason for server 2 going down 1 min every hour is for the apache restart, i believe this helps this server be more stable.
GSIS
This is likely to turn into a 'me too' sort of thread.

So ... me too!

At the moment I'm spending a lot of time setting up products in an eCommerce database. I'm on, mostly, from around 07:00 to around 19:00 (UK, BST).

The vast majority of timeouts I see are from around 15:00 to 17:00.

I had put it down to too many cron jobs being clustered around that time but, of course, as a client I don't really get to see the big picture so it's just a guess. Only the admins see the big picture!

I'm hoping my service, and site, grow fairly quickly so I'm already considering what I'll do when I've used up my 250MB. I have no idea if this is already possible but I'm very happy with Frihost and, when the time comes, would have no objection to paying real money for additional space and/or bandwidth. Perhaps this could be a source of revenue to help the admins set up more/bigger/faster servers that can cope better with the peak loads?
inphurno
well the problem is that the website is for our non-profit organization( unlike many of the websites hosted by this forum), so we dont expect to make any money from it anytime in the near future. that means we will be at the mercy of free hosters for a while....