FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Electric cars? how can I get 1?

squirrelmaster
I just watched a movie called "Who killed the electric car?"

I had no Idea that an electric car in the mid-90s could go 90mph and have a range of 80miles. That is friggin awesome!! Too bad California caved and revoked their zero emission bill.

I know that technology has improved in ten years, wouldn't you think there would be WAY cool electric cars now, or is it all the oil peoples fault?

Anyway, anyone know of a kit or something to convert a car to electric?
There was something about that at the end of the movie.
myrevolt
I don't know about that, but you may want to look into the Telsa Roadster, it's not exactly affordable and not in production quite yet (the figure was USD $100,000 last I checked). Here's an up-to-date list. The only one that I recognize is the Scion, however the conversion costs $55,000 in addition to the cost of the car! You may want to go biofuel
tony
WOW! This is a very interesting topic! i had no idea the electric cars were this close to reality!!

whoa! must continue to read the list!
benwhite
there are companies that specialize in coverting priuses and/or civics into plug in hybrids, where part of the gas infrastructure of the car is converted in a big li-ion battery. The cars will run on battery from standard house outlets and switch to gasoline when the charge gets low. I believe the range is like 300 miles for the conversions, but they cost an exta $10-15k on top of the base car price (and probably void the manufacturer warranty). A quick google search will bring it up.
greatfire
i cant wait or the electric car to become commercially viable. Its something I have always been interested in.
lyddi8
There are still hybrid cars that are completely economically viable.
Electric cars will take off only after the hybrid cars become the norm.
ocalhoun
lyddi8 wrote:

Electric cars will take off only after the hybrid cars become the norm.

Correction:
Electric cars will take off only after we develop cheap, light, and powerful batteries that recharce quickly.
squirrelmaster
myrevolt wrote:
I don't know about that, but you may want to look into the Telsa Roadster, it's not exactly affordable and not in production quite yet (the figure was USD $100,000 last I checked). Here's an up-to-date list. The only one that I recognize is the Scion, however the conversion costs $55,000 in addition to the cost of the car! You may want to go biofuel

That car is what I am talking about!!! I knew technology had improved, but that thing looks and drives better than alot of sports cars, from what I can tell Drool
It's too bad I can't just fork out 100 grand for it Sad

http://myersmotors.com/buynow.html wrote:
Myers Motors NmG 2008 Model Year starting at only $27,000
It's only a one seater, but I kinda like it.

By Googling, it seems to me that the only way to convert a car into electric cheap is by doing it yourself, places like electroauto.com sell the parts, maybe I could make this my college project
hopefully i can find someone who knows how to weld, because this is a bit over my head

Anyway, I sure hope that this technology proves itself economically and more commercial developers will sell cars, but then again they probably will go gradually, and hybrids are a good start.
chasbeen
Yes and don't forget it has to be road legal!
Just joking. Why tell anyone Exclamation