FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux Boot problem

kv
I have installed Fedora FC4 on my system which has XP. I have NOT installed grub. I am planning to use NT boot loader -- which means that I have to take first 512 bytes of the boot sector. But the boot sector of my linux partition is empty -- I think because I didn't install grub or any bootloader. How can I load the linux directly without using lilo or grub?
{name here}
kv wrote:
I have installed Fedora FC4 on my system which has XP. I have NOT installed grub. I am planning to use NT boot loader -- which means that I have to take first 512 bytes of the boot sector. But the boot sector of my linux partition is empty -- I think because I didn't install grub or any bootloader. How can I load the linux directly without using lilo or grub?

From Linux, you'd need to get a copy of the boot sector for its partition. Then you'd have to copy this to your windows partition in C:\Windows and modify the NT boot the Linux partition using the boot sector. I am unsure of how to do this anymore, but I believe how to do this with FreeBSD is somewhere on: http://linuxgangster.org/ . The concepts and programs should be the same should Fedora contain standard GNU binaries that come with just about every distro out there.
myrevolt
mehulved
Why would you want to do this? It's much better to use grub than ntldr when dual booting. Or atleast use some boot manager like GAG or some such.
corey
There are a few places out there that describe what you need. I've answered this question before but I cannot find my answer through search at the moment. Look HERE for a good description of what to do. If you did use GRUB and wanted to wipe it later, you could as well with your XP cd, by loading it up and senecting "R" for the recovery console and then typing "fixboot" and/or "fixmbr" at the prompt and NTLDR would be back, regardless.
ezekiel_rage
kv wrote:

You have to install a bootloader into the root partition, even if you dont want to install grub into the Master boot record.

If you have installed Fedora Core to HDA5 then just select HDA5 5 as the partition to install grub into.

Afterwards, just do what {name here} suggest.

Hope this helps
kv
Ok, there are 5 replies, but none of them answer my question. Does linux really need a multiboot loader like lilo/grub to boot? or can I install some kernel image or something directly on the boot partition to load linux? I know how to grab the linux boot partition and use ntldr to load it. I have done this using grub/lilo. But once I select linux from ntldr, I don't want to load onother boot loader (like grub) -- even with timeout=0 and one single entry -- but want to directly boot into linux.

Using a boot Floppy/CD is not an option I prefer.
why6487
I'm thinking that you should wipe out the XP volume and install Linux with GRUB (since there's no OS to boot).
simplyw00x
kv wrote:
...Does linux really need a multiboot loader like lilo/grub to boot?...

Yes.
corey
Your answer is right, but the question was wrong. The right question is:

"Is NTLDR capable of booting non-microsoft operating systems without chain loading with another boot loader?"

The answer to that question is, of course, NO.

You need to have both because Microsoft has never cared about any product they did not make and won't accommodate them by making it easy to boot them with NTLDR. Nearly every other operating system out there has accommodated the others, though.
kv
corey wrote:
Your answer is right, but the question was wrong. The right question is:

Not really

corey wrote:

"Is NTLDR capable of booting non-microsoft operating systems without chain loading with another boot loader?"

Yes of course. You can boot to any OS using NTLDR. All you need to do is grab first 512 bytes of the bootsector of the OS you want to boot into. Put in in a file under c:. Make an entry in the boot.ini.

I am using NTLDR to load my FC4 linux, but it is chainloading grub. I wanted to eliminate grub and boot directly to linux. I just wanted to know if there was a boot loader built into linux (kernel).
simplyw00x
Quote:
Yes of course.

No, not of course. corey is right; NTLDR cannot boot other OSes without another bootloader.
blueray
Well, I am not know much.

But I do trust that the boot loader was a piece of code that used to find, load and run the system code to make it up and running.

So, different system have their layout. You may not be able to pass it and load the system directly.