FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft selling low-cost PC; first stop India

prole
Quote:
Microsoft will begin selling PCs in India next month as part of its "Unlimited Potential" program, an event that will mark the software giant's first entry into the PC sales business. Dubbed the IQ PC, the machines will cost RS21,000 (about $525), are manufactured in partnership with Zenith, and will sport AMD Athlon CPUs.

Source: http://origin.arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070627-microsoft-testing-pc-sales-in-india.html
k_s_baskar
Microsoft already manufacturing some accessories like keyboard mouse etc.,
But entering into Desktop Pc will be a marketing method to sell their softwares. If you are genuine user of orginal software then you can expect bundled discount for microsoft software products like windows vista, office 2007 etc.,
Lets wait n see
kohn
when will they start selling over her, i hope they are as good as the usual computers and their accesories are good also.
Maybe i'll look for a friend in india to get one for me and send it down but that depends on when they'll end sells over thier in indfia.
i comend them for tier effort
lyddi8
Perhaps running water and electricity is a higher priority. Just a thought.
ocalhoun
lyddi8 wrote:
Perhaps running water and electricity is a higher priority.

Not for Microsoft.

It seems to me, that since they have their support staff in India, they might as well sell PC's there, too.
gnomme
in my opinion anything that envolves Microsoft can never be cheap!

They give with one hand and take the double with the other
mOrpheuS
Quote:
the machines will cost RS21,000 (about $525)

I'm sure I'm not the only one in noticing that this is not "low cost" - by any stretch of corporate imagination.

Not-so-high-end PCs already cost something in that range.
coolclay
Somehow that doesn't strike my as an especially great deal. But who know maybe computers in India are more expensive then around here. Any Indians want to interject here?
Scorpio
The fact is this:

1. Zenith sucks bigtime. They try to offer computers for low prices and fail with quality and their support is useless as well.

2. A good computer with say a dual core, 160 gigs, 1 gb ram and a good 17" monitor would cost around 20k at the max. And I am talking about assembled ones not the crap from HP and Compaq
dbhai
We Indians will have a great time if things go cheaper.