FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

First attempt at underwater photography!

miacps
A couple days ago my friend picked up an underwater dispoable camera to try out in the lake.

Under water photography is tough! Shocked

Here are some of the ones that came out alright: (most taken and edited by Fadil, a few by me)

A couple big Talapia!

This place we dubbed "Root city" back in the day for reasons not really seen in the photo.

A couple Large Mouth Bass hanging out at Root City, keeping an eye on the Brim and Talapia!

A big Peacock bass lurking in the depths!

This big peacock was hanging around the car at the bottom of the lake! I managed to snap this photo right before he bolted.

A school of brim in the shallows.

A couple of baby large mouths and a brim doin' their thing!

Not too bad for some amateurs and a $10 disposable.

My friend picked up a reusable cam afterwards, hopefully that one will have a little better quality!

Hope you enjoyed the underwater lake tour! Cool
wylieconlon
Nice pictures! I have to wonder though: what kind of equipment did you need (other than the camera) to get the shots? Scuba gear? Also, was there any type of flash involved?
GSIS
Very nice - considering the 10$ camera!

Some people spend years (and $$$$$$) getting underwater photographs nowhere near as good.
miacps
My friend was using a mask/snorkel combo and flippers.

I'm not that much of a snorkel/flippers fan so I went with the usual diving mask only.

No flash ivolved either, it was a really sunny day(ended up getting a minor sun burn! Razz ).

My friend edited his choice photos using something called picaso or picasa, not sure which and mine were done with Photoshop!
CrimsonStrange
Very, very nice, miacps!

I think they turned out excellent, especially with everything you guys must've had to go through to get a decent shot/angle.

I envy you & your friend...
I've always wanted to get into photography - never had the time or the $$$ for it, though.

I wish you only the best of luck in any future underwater adventures you might choose to photograph! Very Happy
imagefree
really good underwater photos. But for quality photos, you have to select a good place.
pashmina
pretty cool. i have never photographed under water before. you seem to be good at photography. keep up your good work
miacps
Thanks guys!

Glad you all liked them. Smile
ocalhoun
You did a heck of a lot better than my experiments with underwater photgraphy; I know what you mean by it being quite difficult.

That might also involve the fact that you appear to have gone to a more interesting location, and gone much deeper than I did.
The lowest I can go is 10ft, how deep can your camera go?
filet
pretty interesting pictures...yeah on the quality...hope you get better quality camera next time...good luck next time
miacps
I think the camera could go to 30 feet which is great for the lake. The deepest part of the lake is only about 25 feet, give or take, and the pressure starts hurting my ears at around 15!

To any divers out there: How do you deal with the pressure? The only way I can tolerate it is to go down slow as I pop my ears.
m00tmuffin
Awesome stuff! Those pictures turned out pretty well for just being sunny out, and in a freshwater lake too! Like the other posters have said, it can be quite a difficult thing to get a hang of, but even with that cheap little disposable camera you seem to have got some neat shots out of it. Smile I used a disposable camera when I went scuba diving in Belize last August and they came out pretty decently, too. Keep it up!
Jaan
They turned out nice because they were photoshopped!!!
LoL everyone thinks thats cheating but IMO if it looks nice, anything goes.
Some of them are blurry, intentionally?
Some nice effects though.
Great job
GSIS
Jaan wrote:
Some nice effects though.
Great job

Why would that be a problem?

A lot of pro photographers turn out superb 'chemical' photographs because they either know how to use a darkroom properly, or they know someone who can.

The raw material still has to be good enough to achieve something with it, though.
xorcist
They look good for a first time at underwater photography II think I know the exact lakes you are talking about because they have all all across Florida. They have those same types of fish.
lethaltriad
Thats pretty impressive for a 10 buck disposable camera. A lil noise reduction would have been good to smoothen it out and take away some of the grain. To get the real professional quality takes some heavy equipment, if you were to get like a Canon 30D or 5D.. 1200 and $2700 respecitively you would then need the underwater housing for it with the controls that costs sometimes up to 3000-5000 bucks. But definately though wfor a 10 buck camera thats pretty good, I always wanted to experiment with some underwater photography so I might pick up one of those disposable since my budget wont allow the underwater casing for now lol
Tepear
Wow those are great! I could never take underwater photos >>. First of all fish and swimming things freak me out. Second, I wouldn't be able to point the camera at the right spot, and third FISH ARE FREAKY.
BrookfieldPC
Those photos are quite good. I like the one with the log going horizontally across the picture. The light shining off of it is awesome and I actually messed with it in Photoshop for a bit. haha.

I don't think I'd ever go underwater diving. Somethin' about me and sharks just doesn't work. Wink
GSIS
BrookfieldPC wrote:
I don't think I'd ever go underwater diving. Somethin' about me and sharks just doesn't work. Wink

If you ever get a chance give it a try.

Sharks are ok. The small stuff causes more trouble.
Tepear
Quote:

Are you crazy!!!! All fish are creepy there like RAWR I'm the ruler of this water and I will eat you!!!

When they touch my leg and stuff I freak out ^^; same with bugs D:
silvertailsfox
Tepear wrote:
Quote:

Are you crazy!!!! All fish are creepy there like RAWR I'm the ruler of this water and I will eat you!!!

When they touch my leg and stuff I freak out ^^; same with bugs D:

Oh yeah, you keep thinking things will attack you and it makes you so paranoid. The plants too! I wouldn't like to go diving though those pictures are very beautiful.
missdixy
Those pictures are incredible. Good job!
paul_indo
I have a Fuji F30 which has a setting for underwater shooting. Only problem is the camera is not waterproof so I have to buy an underwater housing before I can try it out.
quex
That first shot looks pro, actually! What brand of camera was that?
driftingfe3s
Looks pretty good. I was thinking of getting a underwater disposable for the beach. Looks fun and is much cheaper than getting a underwater casing for my digital SLR camera.
Molle
Good photos, they look good. But if you want to get much, much, much better photos, you need to pick a place with clearer and nicer water Cool
miacps
I was checking out underwater housings for the camera I used for anything above water and the good ones are around $120. Not toooo expensive, might order one if I ever have some spare cash. Wink

Quote:
What brand of camera was that?

Kodak!

Quote:

Photoshop was a must for these pics. Most came out too light and a few too dark. The Talapia photo is the only one that came out pretty accurately in brightness.

I do prefer to take shots that are accurate from the start, but better to play with them so you can see everything how it should be than to have overly bright or dark ones! Smile Wink

If I can manage to get underwater housing for my Nikon coolpix 4100, the quality should be 100x better! Very Happy
Drawingguy
Where do you buy these disposable, underwater cameras? Because to me, the investment (however slight) definitely paid off in your case. The image editing program that your friend used, by the way, is Picasa.
coolclay
Yea, not to shabby. Thats looks like one awesome lake for fishing. Where is it? I'll post some of mine.

These are from the Florida Keys

And where taken with a Sony DSC P-1 digital camera + Underwater enclosure.

mathiaus wrote:

Please do not double post. Use the button instead!

SlowWalkere
Those are some cool pictures - both sets that were posted. Great work.

- Walkere
Blaster
Wow i like underwater photography. Its not bad for piece of shit camera. At least I don't think so. Its actually quite good. I like nature though so maybe thats why. I really eventually want to go SCBA Diving.
miacps
Nice shots, clay! I particularly like the third one.

It really is a great lake to fish in, lots of big bass. It used to be a rock quarry or a place to dump appliances or something like that.

Quote:
Where do you buy these disposable, underwater cameras?

My friend got it at a CVS I think.
eefh1
WOW!! What a good pictures?? Keep up the good work...
lolo69000
there are some nice pictures !it's always a bit difficult to do nice pics underwater especially because of the light. that's why if you want to make some impressive pictures event with small fish you just have to get a powerful light to create some shadow with the background or stuff like that.

Loc.
poly
I took some pictures this summer, in Indonesia on Sulawesi..

What do you guys think? These pictures were taken with a really cheap analog underwater camera..
roboguyspacedude
I went scuba diving this summer in the Flordia Keys and got these photos from a 3.1 Megapixel Digital Camera.

^Playing cards underwater

miacps
Great pics, guys!

The Indonesia ones are really cool, but maybe I'm just a little biased since I've gone diving in the Keys quite a few times! Wink
hiquality
I agree ... underwater photographing is difficult . I have a camera too ... but my pics were not quite good.... so i sold my cam for 50 $ Sad
Rico
Nice pictures. Pretty prolific in fish the lake that is. How do get them to stay for the pics dont they just want to get away when you get close?
miacps
Rico wrote:
Nice pictures. Pretty prolific in fish the lake that is. How do get them to stay for the pics dont they just want to get away when you get close?

They're usually pretty relaxed. A lot of times you can get within 4 feet of them before they start keeping an eye on you.

The trick is to swim up slowly and not make any sudden movements. If they end up swimming away most will return to where they were if you give them a little space. They seem to have favorite spots where they just hang out.
mimsxmassacre
i've always wanted to buy an underwater disposable camera
or underwater housing for my canon, but i'm too scared that it would leak
Shnelby
Those look really cool. I love underwater cams because they allow you to capture things you normally wouldn't be able to!
zjosie729
Lovely! I wish I could go underwater and take pictures.
Kelcey
That's pretty cool. I've never attempted that before.
Johntheviper
great pictures! Now i got a new wallpaper for my second Linux desctop Smile