FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm Confused

Hobbit
I'm not sure what I want to major in. I was thinking photography, I love glamor photography and fashion (you probably didn't know that, did you?Wink ).

But I'm not sure if this is actually profitable. Should I study business instead? If I study business, I'm assuming we're going to cover marketing and all that right? Or maybe I should study both, that way I can make photography profitable since I'll have that "business" state of mind (even though I think I've had it for like a year now).

Pardon my ignorance, but my high school sucked. They never taught us anything about careers, or anything useful in general.

Oh, and my biggest conflict is that I don't even want to go to college. I'm just going to do it for my parents.
isyan
*tsk* *tsk* *tsk*

your last argument is the very difficult of all.. Smile

because studying can be a lot of fun or can be very boring depending if you like to study or not... Smile

but majoring in business is a nice idea... mainly because you can put up your own business and you can manage it yourself...

jah blez!!
Hobbit
Well actually I have other motivations to go to college. I'm a very social person, and i just moved and I don't have any friends. So college will be a good opportunity to me people.

I'm still undecided, business or photography, dang, Hah.
isyan
yapppz... it's a nice motivation to study and meet people...
you can really enjoy studying if you have someone to talk to, someone to ask about anything that comes to your mind.. and if you have problems, they can help you alleviate you feelings.. Smile

jah blez!
Coclus
You shouldn't go to college just for your parents..
moworks2
Hobbit wrote:
I'm not sure what I want to major in. I was thinking photography, I love glamor photography and fashion (you probably didn't know that, did you?Wink ).

But I'm not sure if this is actually profitable. Should I study business instead? If I study business, I'm assuming we're going to cover marketing and all that right? Or maybe I should study both, that way I can make photography profitable since I'll have that "business" state of mind (even though I think I've had it for like a year now).

Pardon my ignorance, but my high school sucked. They never taught us anything about careers, or anything useful in general.

Oh, and my biggest conflict is that I don't even want to go to college. I'm just going to do it for my parents.

photography, especially fashion, can be very lucrative...and if you love the creative side of it you can always hire an agent to rep you...if you love business, study business...

also, there's the technical aspect, photo retouching, post processing is an art in itself...

follow your heart and you'll never go wrong...

and i agree with what some of the others said,...don't go to college for the old folk...go to learn as much as you can, look for a mentor if you love photography...try and get into a school that you think will add to your own desires in terms of image and method...

if you have the 'eye' for it and some talent or a lot of talent you can make tons of money and travel the globe and enjoy the shit out of life...

pick your poison...fashion, photo journalism, art stuff,...maybe now, too, you should focus on fashion photography but leave yourself open...if you start studying and looking at lots of photo images and photographers you may have a change of heart...

good luck to you...

M

Ps. high school sucks for everyone...the education system is constructed to turn out worker drones...not people who think for themselves, and they certainly don't help you about deciding what to do with the rest of your life...maybe some do, i suspect most don't...

the government, in choosing a method, prefers people who don't think too much, want to find a job that'll help the economy keep paying for the lifestyles of the rich and famous, politicians included...

be smarter...look around 'for yourself'...
agustin
Im studying photograph, and its great. I like takeing photographs so much. All that business shit sucks man... creation is the thing! and thats what you have to do. Something that nobody did before!
Think About it.
loryl
Enter college with an open mind. If you're not sure about business or photography, take classes in both. Also, take classes in other subjects as well. There's fields out there that you never even heard of in high school. If you go to a large university, they'll probably make you take required "general education" courses as part of a graduation requirement. Don't wait until senior year to take those. Freshman year's your time to explore and have fun.

A last piece of advice for social people: don't party too hard. I go to a school where drinking and frats are a big thing on campus. I know plenty of people who drank/went to parties all the time their freshman year and ended up regretting it. Their GPA was so low they had to spend the next three years just getting it back up again. Yes, your first year's your time to adjust to life away from parents... but don't get too carried away with it. Wink

Good luck in college!