FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your Society - what makes it one of the Greats

slasonic
I recently spoke with a German woman who said they look at us as a very young country.

This got me thinking...What do you think makes a society great? I've thought of a few factors.

1. Great art/philosophy/music etc that originated and/or was created in your society.
2. Weaving a common threads between different parts of society. This one may be an odd ball. China, for example, has integrated spirituality, food, medicine, etc... Government doesn't fit in for China, which is why the horrible government is so out of place there.

Another, better example, is Native American Indians. Before the white man, they had integrated everything together. Law, religion, medicine, all integrated.

I started this thread while thinking about the United States. This started me thinking was it is not the age of a country that determines how great it is, but more the maturity of the country. That is why america is considered so young, we are so immature. We care about stupid stuff and have no deep meaning to our society.
ocalhoun
I agree that America is a comparatively young country, but being young has its advantages as well. Hence the greater amounts of personal freedom, and the greater amounts of world-changing inventions than one may find in many other, older countries.

Don't get me wrong now, it would still probably be overall better to be an older country.
kazikame
The ability to confidently invade other countries at will. How often do you hear about countries like Burkina Faso that aren't involved in wars? >_>
nilsmo
kazikame wrote:
The ability to confidently invade other countries at will.

Well, then I guess countries in today's society aren't great at all.

Here are some factors I can think of:
-military prowess
-economic strength
-cultural eminence
-population's quality of life
nilsmo
nilsmo wrote:
kazikame wrote:

-military prowess
-economic strength
-cultural/intellectual eminence

Somebody please remove this post! I clicked Quote instead of Edit to fix a word!
ReubenWilliams
nilsmo wrote:
kazikame wrote:

-military prowess
-economic strength
-cultural eminence

Many civilizations have had thees things but I think that greatness is a subjective term. It depends on the factors you ascociate with being great. I was recently watching a program with terry gilliam and he suggested that the Persians and the Romans had similiarly sized empires and were quite similiarly matched in most of the factors listed above. The diffreence was that the Romans when they depicted other civilizations in their art depicted them on their knees with chains round their necks. The persians depicted them bearing tributes but walking freeley in their own clothes and unique trappings. Thus to my mind greatness involves peacefull relationships with other civilizations which don't have to enslave them to you. This shows you are really great because other countries respect you not just fear you.
coolclay
There is no equal measure for the greatness of a society. In my opinion all natives around the world had some of the greatest societies. Most of them lived with nature, not against it like most of the more "developed" societies such as the greeks, or romans.
Hogwarts
My society? A feeling of security.

I've never been mugged, robbed - or anything like that. Nobody has even broken into our house. Other countries don't attempt to invade our country - which I think is a result of our isolation (Australia) and because of our excellent parliament. I also think that because we are a relatively new society is a good thing - because most things are up to scratch and require little (if any) maintenance in comparison to old things.. But this regrettably means that we don't have much of a history as compared to countries like Great Britain.