FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What?!?!?!

creativepaperworks_jw
I just found out that my 47 year old aunt got a green iguana. Before this she has never shown an interest in animals period, let alone a lizard. She says she needed a companion she could leve alone for long periods of time. Why not get a cat?
Hobbit
Hahah, yeah sometimes people do weird things all of a sudden. But yeah, she should have gotten a dog or something, haha.
otiscom
Think of what she could have got, an elephant or something!
creativepaperworks_jw
yeah i can see an elephant in that small house.
Babsta
OMG lol an Iguana?
that's hilarious.. how do you tame it.. I guess I should think about getting one for a change..
crimson_aria
I'm going to freak out if anyone near me gets a green iguana.. cause I'm so scared of them. my, that's weird, getting an iguana to accompany her for a long period. but I agree with Hobbit, people do weird things sometimes. hope your aunt will enjoy her new pet.
Rico
Sounds like you didn’t know your aunt as well as you thought you did? The amazing thing here is not that your aunt got an iguana but that you’ve projected your own stereotypical and dare I say slightly conservative viewpoint, which in turn has revealed a tremendous amount about yourself. This should be an “aha!” experience for you, don’t you think? Very Happy
Tumbleweed
Did she name it jub jub ? Laughing
Rico
Tumbleweed wrote:
Did she name it jub jub ? Laughing

How would you pronounce that joob-joob; or j-uhb j-uhb. I think a nice name for a lizard (specially a green one) would be Spike or Nooknook? Any other suggestions?
bconnect
Hahah, yeah sometimes people do weird things all of a sudden. But yeah, she should have gotten a dog or something, haha.

Blink 182
Tumbleweed
creativepaperworks_jw wrote:
I just found out that my 47 year old aunt got a green iguana. Before this she has never shown an interest in animals period, let alone a lizard. She says she needed a companion she could leve alone for long periods of time. Why not get a cat?

What did she name it ?
paul_indo
Well I guess this is the perfect animal for your aunt cause if she leaves it alne for a few days or even weeks it won't starve. It can just eat mosquitos and flys and other insects I guess.

She should be careful though cause sometimes they can bite your finger.
b4r4t
It's a nice thing to have non-standard animal Smile
Iguanas are nice looking lizards Smile

I don't think that cats are better... I don't like cats Smile I prefeer dogs Smile

My friend have ferret ... it's a nice animal too ... Chinchilla is sweet too Very Happy
brucedes
Anyone else drawn parallels to Selma from the Simpsons and Jug-Jug?

Quite interesting none the less, I wish her the best of luck with it Smile
hiquality
HAHA... thats so funny.. an old granny and an iguana Smile)=)).. so weird Very Happy
Look at the bright side ... she could have picked a komodo dragon Laughing Smile)
jharsika
A friend of mine, her dad had 2 iguana's at one point Roxy and Spike or something. Since they're exotic they are a lot to take care of...they need like heat lamps and vegetables and attention and stuff. Some actually like getting pet! Haha they were weird and both had personalities. Roxy loved climbing up on the curtain rod and just hangin out there. They pooped on the floor a lot though.....
roboguyspacedude
Yea, dogs and cats are much easier to take care of than iguanas who need the right amount of heat, crickets or something else for food and a lot of tender care whereas dogs just need any food and love. Your aunt chose the animal that is hardest to care of.
Rico
hiquality wrote:
HAHA... thats so funny.. an old granny and an iguana Smile)=)).. so weird Very Happy
Look at the bright side ... she could have picked a komodo dragon Laughing Smile)

What’s really funny is that you automatically assume that she’s an old granny hah, I must say that is quite funny. When last did you see Dolly Parton, she’s 60. Do you think she looks like an old granny.
KatanaSky
Maybe she didn't want anything noisy, needs ample attention, potentially distructive, or something. lol I've never taken care of an iguana but I'm assuming all you really need to do is keep its cage err... tank? clean, a regular supply of crickets, water, and light. Then again I could be mistaken lol

I once had lizards for pets but they were boooorrrring! The most interesting thing I found was that one of them would flare up when ever I'd put my finger near them.

I definitely like dogs and cats better as pets. I'd never get lizards again.
xanarulz
That is really strange since that fact that they don't do much XD
but maybe is that what she was looking for something that requires little taking care off and something she can talk to Rolling Eyes
Tumbleweed
brucedes wrote:

Jub Jub.............no I dont think anyone did Confused

What did she call it ????????????????????????
Pikokola
Tumbleweed wrote:
brucedes wrote:

Jub Jub.............no I dont think anyone did Confused

What did she call it ????????????????????????

Hmmm... I hope it's not... "Honey" Laughing Laughing

but I think Iguana is better, yeah, better than a couple of Armadillo.
standready
I think I will stick with my Ring Neck Dove! No special attention required but likes all attention, not destructive, not messy and makes a wonderful cooing sound in the morning. It even laughs at itself.
Thundercloud
I will stick to my dog thank you not an animal that is locked up all day
MKsafetalk
creativepaperworks_jw wrote:

well cats cant be left alon fore a long time
BrianElliott0218
b4r4t wrote:
It's a nice thing to have non-standard animal Smile
Iguanas are nice looking lizards Smile

I don't think that cats are better... I don't like cats Smile I prefer dogs Smile

My friend have ferret ... it's a nice animal too ... Chinchilla is sweet too Very Happy

I have had ferrets. We don't have any now; our last ferret died a few weeks into 2007. She lived a very long time for a ferret though. She was at least 12 years old! For a marshal ferret that is ancient! They rarely live past 6-8 years. Privately bred ferrets tend to live a bit longer with an expected life span of about 10-12 years.

They are very smart animals, and can be trained. Our little girl learned to roll over and to play dead for a treat. Very cute; they beg by doing the tricks you teach them. LOL. She would come up to my feet and look up at me, then she would roll over and look back up at me. As much to say "please... can I have a snack?" It would crack people up to see her do it.

We've had 4 ferrets all told now, 3 of the four were male (a little stinkier than the females) and they were all adopted from previous owners who couldn't take care of them properly anymore. One died in just over two years and he died young, but most of his life (with the previous owners) he was being fed cat food, and was very fat. When we got him (named Wheezer; he was so fat that whenever he played he started to wheeze from the exertion of playing) he was over weight and had always lived in his cage. When we got him, he was not an only 'child' anymore and he was playing with the little girl alot (tackling her and then running as she took it out on him). He lost most of the fat within a couple of months of good exercise and proper diet. He was a fun little boy.

The other two we got at the same time, practically as a rescue. Rafikki and Nikko; they were fun to have around the house, and they were good about using the corner litter boxes. Raffiki died unexpectedly while we were on vacation. We think it was a ferret disease that attacks their pancreas. It can kill them very quickly. Nikko died of old age around 7 years old.

The thing to do if you ever think about having a ferret is to read up on them on one of the many ferret sites that are available. Of course, if you live in California, forget about it. They are very hard on ferrets in that state. They think ferrets can get out and start feral colonies! This is ridiculous as Marshal Ferrets (from Marshal Farms) are all fixed before they are released to the pet stores. They are de-scented and fixed. All of them, and the idea of a feral ferret colony, is at best amusing.

Anyway, nice pets if you're the right kind of person/family to have one. We won't get another for a while though as we travel a lot, and they get very lonely. A lonely ferret is a trouble maker! Razz

~BE
doppleganger
in fact she should have got a couple of ants that she can keep alone for as long as she wants to

what do u say
ocalhoun
Babsta wrote:
OMG lol an Iguana?
that's hilarious.. how do you tame it..

They can be tamed...
I had one back when I was a kid. I could touch it, feed it, and let it sit on my shoulder, but if anybody else tried to, it would attack them with bites, claws and the whip-like tail. (ouch!) My parents made me get rid of it because it was getting big and they were a little scared of it. Oh well.

Anything that gets an elderly person a reason to get out of bed and do something will be good for that person, even a lizard.
tijn01
Sounds like your aunt has hit menopause.... women can do funny stuff around that time!
I find it hard to accept that people pick non domesticated animals for pets. At least cats and dogs are domesticated.
thadnation
non domesticated animals are cool. for example, i know of people who have pet porcupines. if you pet them the right way then you won't get stabbed. iguanas are cool, cats are lame. all my cats do is lay around. I can;t get them to play. at least an iguana lays around and looks <i>cool</i>.