FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lower the Age

Lower the drinking age
yes
42%
 42%  [ 15 ]
no
57%
 57%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 35

creativepaperworks_jw
Why is it that at age 18, we can fight for our country, smoke cigerettes, make our own medical decisions and be held responsible for our actions, but are not allowed to drink?
I think if we are considered old enough for all of that, then we sould be allowed to drink.
Animal
The legal drinking age is set at 18 on medical grounds to a great extent as far as I'm aware. Your liver does not fully develop until around the age of 18 and since alcohol puts a strain on your liver, it's probably not a good idea to promote drinking amongst those with under-developed livers since it could cause some serious long-term damage. This argument doesn't really make sense when you consider that 16 year olds are allowed to buy tobacco and the adverse effects of that are generally accepted.

However, there is also the question of responsibility - many 18 year olds (and older) don't drink responsibly, cause fights and disturbance amongst other things, so the line has to be drawn somewhere. Personally, I believe that 18 is a reasonable age for you to be allowed to start drinking.

Many others don't, however. In the USA, the legal drinking age is 21 and this is very strictly enforced by the law. I guess it comes down to different people's interpretation of the risks involved.
ncwdavid
I am from Ireland and the age is 18 like most places but 21 in my opinion is far too strict. I do not know much about the USA but I think most people probably start drinking before they are even 18 and by the time they are 21 they are like regular drinkers who have a few every weekend. Thats what I think I may be wrong but honestly if I lived in the USA thats what it would be like for me and my friends and everyone around 16-18 years old.
missdixy
Too many eighteen year olds (that i know at least) are still very, very irresponsible. Lowering the drinking age may increase the drunk driving rate.
Traveller
If nothing else, having it at 21 helps to prevent SOME (not all, since not everyone obeys the law) of the problems with drunk driving related to high-school graduations.

Personally, I remember when the drinking age was 18 in the state where I lived at that time, and the two daughters (15 and 1Cool of our neighbour from across the street had gone to a graduation party held by the friends of the 18 year old. On their way home, with the 18 year old driving, she lost control of the car, killing her 15-year-old sister. Now she has to live with that memory (and that fact that SHE survived) for the rest of her life.
Hobbit
I always go to shows and there's always underage drinking. Most of the teens are falling and just doing stupid stuff because they're drunk. They're simply more irresponsible.

I used to think like you, but I recently went to a college party with 23 year olds (cause I'm cool like that), they were all drinking but they were drinking responsibly. I only saw one guy that was acting very stupid but they actually kicked him out of the party.

So no, I don't think the age limit should be lowered. I think the solution is to pay less taxes, and make love, not war.
missdixy
Hobbit wrote:
I think the solution is to pay less taxes, and make love, not war.

Lol. I agree. Very Happy
meet in rio
I feel that a drinking age of 18 (with some concessions: e.g. a drink with a meal in a restaurant aged 16, as is the law here in the UK) is appropriate. It's low enough to remove some of the mystique and 'cool factor', without being plain irresponsible. Students, in general, like to get off their faces, and if they can't buy alcohol then they'll buy something else instead. I'm not a big drinker, but I do know that if it were difficult to get hold of alcohol then I'd have my hands on something illegal (which, of course, wouldn't be quality-controlled and wouldn't be taxed).

(If anything, I would raise the driving age. Unless you live slap bang in the middle of nowhere, no 18-year-old needs a car: driving causes (largely) unnecessary pollution and (at a younger age) hazard, not to mention burning a hole in your pocket what with petrol and insurance. Public transport is going to do just fine for me until I'm 30, live out in the sticks and have children to take to school or something.)
pll
At Quebec, Canada the age to drink is 18. I am 15 years old. I'm a teenager and I drink sometimes. I always thought that 18 was TOO old to have the right to drink. When I drink, I drink responsibly but not everybody around me. Since I saw my friend, 15 years old too GOING TO THE HOSPITAL because he made an overdose of alchool I think they should take it to 21.
McDucque
I dont think they should change it in america...

Underage teens drink all the time, and do all kinds of stupid crap. The last thing we need is them doing it in public bars and pubs, or buying more of it legally from liquor stores.
Bondings
I don't understand how age restrictions on alcohol usage will prevent drunk driving. If you drive drunk - which is completely illegal, immoral and irresponsible - then you don't care about the age restrictions either, and an age restriction won't prevent those people from getting/drinking alcohol - only make it slightly harder.

Excessive alcohol usage does harm minors a lot (less for adults, but also very harmful). That should be illegal.

Moderate alcohol usage does no harm to minors, it is even healthy. (moderate in comparison to weight and age) This shouldn't be illegal.

In Belgium alcohol usage is allowed for everyone, at least it's not forbidden by law. Only selling alcohol is prohibited to less than 16 year olds for normal alcohol and you need to be 18 to buy 'strong' alcoholic drinks.
McDucque
Thats some pretty fascinating stuff when it comes to the ages in Belgium.

Europe in general... or hell, anyplace but the U.S. for that matter, seems to be a little more Lax about their age restrictions with alcohol.
odinstag
creativepaperworks_jw wrote:
Why is it that at age 18, we can fight for our country, smoke cigerettes, make our own medical decisions and be held responsible for our actions, but are not allowed to drink?
I think if we are considered old enough for all of that, then we sould be allowed to drink.

Not a good arguement to me.

I believe we should raise the age to get into the army, vote and everything else. Then they will be even.

Either way, your logic for moving it is seems to be that the others are that low, so to be fair they need to be evened out.. No other reason really that I read.

I don't think young impressionable youth should be in the hands of a government's killing machine. To easy to brain wash. And I don't think that making drug of any kind, including alcohol, an important political point is very mature thinking.

Less government intervention and more common sense. If your parents think you can handle a few beers then I see no problem. As far as taking resposability goes, I think that should be at a parents discretion.

Most people are not ready for anything at 18, some are by 21. I think you only really start getting wiser at 25 though. That has been what I have observed. Their are exceptions of course. There always are.
creativepaperworks_jw
odinstag

>>My point is that no matter how people have tried to fight the laws on smoking cigerettes, and joining the armed forces, it doesn't change. But in America, the age of alcohol has raised several times. There used to be no restrictions, it was up to the parents. I personally believe that smoking is much more harmful to our youth than drinking, at least on a physical level. I believe anything should be done in moderation. But with the age limit as it is, young people believe that it is cool to drink, and therefore the more that they drink the "cooler" they are. I know a lot if people are very irresponsible, but that applies to people that are 15 to people that are 45. In the US, our young men are required to register for the draft before they can enroll in college or vote or get any finacial help. And as for raising everything else I dont agree with that. At 18, most people are holding a job, and paying taxes. Why shouldn't they be able to help choose the person who is going to be controling our country. And our government has yet to listen to our pleas about the armed forces. Yes, now even though our men have to sign up for the draft, it is not being used. But with times being how they are, how long will it be before they are forced to fight?
I would love peace, but peace is beyond our grasps right now.
ca222
Some people (Young kids) drink younger because they know that at home or in hiding they can't be caught out drinking under age, and they think they are more mature with their friends.

:(What I think?
ashish2005
I understand that there are people complaining about the legal drinking age limit that there is in their country. In some countries people are allowed to drink legally at the age of 16, some at 18 and some at 21. People in the US say that they are allowed to go to a war at the age of 18 but they are not allowed to drink (like chris rock says in the movie "head of the state").

I feel that drinking should be at the age of 18 all over the world. There should be a law stopping people from drinking because if there isn't one , like in my country you can find kids drunk and high, begging for money. I see kids drinking and even taking drugs and they are really small kids. They beg and drink. Look at their future, I don't think that they will not become anything useless in their life. So there should be a legal drinking age and 18 is the right age.
Studio Madcrow
ashish2005 wrote:
I understand that there are people complaining about the legal drinking age limit that there is in their country. In some countries people are allowed to drink legally at the age of 16, some at 18 and some at 21. People in the US say that they are allowed to go to a war at the age of 18 but they are not allowed to drink (like chris rock says in the movie "head of the state").

I feel that drinking should be at the age of 18 all over the world. There should be a law stopping people from drinking because if there isn't one , like in my country you can find kids drunk and high, begging for money. I see kids drinking and even taking drugs and they are really small kids. They beg and drink. Look at their future, I don't think that they will not become anything useless in their life. So there should be a legal drinking age and 18 is the right age.

Except that countries where the drinking age is 16-18 tend to have LESS drunkenness than those where it's higher... When I went to Europe in high school(France to be exact), plenty of local teens went to bars and clubs, but none got drunk: they all knew how to pace themselves and drink responsibly. Many of my fellow Americans, however, had drinken themselves into oblivion within half an hour... Maybe if you lowered the drinking age AND placed an emphasis on responsibility, you would have less problems.
scimitarmoon
The problem is that responsibility does not magically spring up at any given age or because something is made available to teens (in one place versus not being available/being illegal in another). A friend of mine is underage but will have a drink with dinner when she's with her family (which is legal in my state). She's very responsible and knows her limits. On the other hand, I had a friend in high school who went through the same thing: exposure to alcohol and other drugs at home, teaching of responsibility and moderation, etc. She went to college and spends most of her time drunk or high on some illegal drug or another. Last time I visited her, she was furious with her mother for catching her doing crack.

I personally think people wishing to partake of alcohol and/or drugs should have to pass a thorough responsibility and moderation examination before being allowed to do so, sort of along the lines of a driver's licensing test. A 'license' would be given when they passed the test, and could be revoked if they were caught in illegal activity (ie. driving drunk, being drunk and obnoxious in public, etc). Unfortunately that would never work. Just look at the way people drive to see why. Sad
wylieconlon
Why would it be necessary to lower it? Nearly anyone who wants to drink underage has the means to do so- think of it as a preventative measure, to prevent those who are undecided from doing so.
scotty
Lowering it to 18 in check with the rest of the world is understandable, however any lower and I don't think that would be wise. Medical reasons aside teenagers aren't responsible enough to be able to legally buy alcohol until they are 18, generally speaking of course.

Countries where the drinking age is 16 is in some cases okay, I don't know what the drinking culture is like in those countries but I expect the culture of alcohol consumption has a lot to do with the way teenagers drink it. So in a country where education, convention and expectations paint a better picture for teenagers consuming alcohol, I can understand if the drinking age is lower than other places.

However, I see a lot of merit in having the drinking age older than the driving age. I'm currently 18 and have just got my license (Probationary License in Australia) and having another 3 years before I could buy alcohol anywhere seems like quite a good idea. I say this because I know of a lot of people who drink and drive (legal BAC is zero on Ps) which quite frankly disgusts me. I don't care if they wrap themselves around a pole, its their passengers and the people they hit when they are drunk driving.

Medically speaking, delaying the consumption of alcohol for as long as possible is good but if people drink in moderation I think delaying it doesn't have that much influence on the general wellbeing of society. Education is the way to combat the negative aspects of alcohol consumption. So I would say don't lower drinking ages at all.
Blaster
I'm 15 years of age. I've got a lot of friends that are 16 years of age. Some that are like 18 and 19. All of us drink... But when you look at the kids that are 21. They drink less.... But they would drink a lot when under 21.

What i'm trying to get at here is that personally atleast in my opinion people drink below the age of 21 to be i guess "rebells". They want to do it because they can't.

See a friend of mine has this saying. "Bold Moves". See these people that are under 21 are thinking that. They think that because they drink young and be these types of "rebells". They think its cool to break the law like that. They like the rush of doing something they can't.

So I think that if you where to lower the drinking age to 18 then we would actually have less people drining under age. And not because the age is lowerd. But because "its not as much fun when you are doing it legally".
WallBase
mhm i think 20 or 21 on alc over 15 % and 18 from 1 to 15 %

but they who drink get other older ppls to buy for them! thats crap,
and they buy smoke to 13 year olds kids! thats lame...

But its not my life, i dont smoke or drink ^^,)
but but Rolling Eyes

so i say no to lower age!!!!
think about the kids who like getting drunk, lower the age, they buy more, so if the age is high the kids must ask the higher age class, most ppls say no to buy alcohol to miner kids!! higher the age!!!
Futile
Having entered the military at age 18 right out of high school, I agree with you creative to a point. I could fight and die for my country but not be able to drink in it, legally. Whereas everywhere else I went before I turned 21 I could drink legally. I know that this view will be considered contradictory but it is a view shared by a lot of active and former military people, well as least the old school, if you are serving your country you are able to drink under 21 or not, it is sort of an unwritten, understood “law”. We take care of our own. If you are not in the armed forces, 21 it is and where it should stay. When you join the military you give up most of those same Constitutional rights you swore to protect. There needs to be some “freedoms” compensation somewhere.

Several posters have hit it on the nail on the head, whatever your age, you need to drink responsibly. I have friends my age who drink and act stupid just like they were in their late teens on a regular basis. Drinking responsibly is a choice everyone knows, unless they have a drinking problem when enough is enough.

@creativepaperworks
Quote:
In the US, our young men are required to register for the draft before they can enroll in college or vote or get any financial help. And as for raising everything else I dont agree with that. At 18, most people are holding a job, and paying taxes. Why shouldn't they be able to help choose the person who is going to be controlling our country. And our government has yet to listen to our pleas about the armed forces. Yes, now even though our men have to sign up for the draft, it is not being used. But with times being how they are, how long will it be before they are forced to fight?

The US has the largest military force and it is volunteer. No one makes you join and it is not mandatory. Most other countries make it mandatory to serve at least 2 years in the military after high school or turning 18. Being a veteran of Desert Storm, Somalia, Rwanda and Burundi I will just shake my head. Complaining and whining about just registering is a slap in the face to the people who have died and are dying just so you can have that right to complain.
Aless
Agreed. US needs to follow the example of almost every other country in the world - why the disparity?
zichlone
I belie that the drinking age should be 18 here if the age were lower parents would feel that they need to teach their children how to drink responsibly and i belive it would also deter teenagers from binge drinking and drunk driving
catscratches
Noone really cares about the law when it's about drinking anyway Sad Sad but true. Sad
Fuzzy-Duck
While if it was my desision to make, I would lower the age limit, I really do think it is more about the social attitude to drinking - rather than an abitary age restriction - which dictates peoples drinking habits.

Here in the UK, you can get married and have sex at 16, but can't legally watch other people do the same until you're 18! Or explore various position options either Wink Then of course you're deemed responsible enough to drive when you're 17, but not responsible enough to vote or drink until you're 18?!??! That, in my humble opion, is entirely wrong!!

If anything, you shouldn't be allowed to drive until you're 21, that would solve a lot of problems! How many people are killed by immature drivers on the roads? People need to be mature enough to recognise their own inexperience before they should be allowed to drive.

Well, that's what I think anyway!

Cheers,
fuzzy
Donutey
Personally, I think it should be your own decision, however, with our capitalistic society people's perceptions of when and how much to drink has become warped. Every five minutes I see an alcohol ad on TV, on shows who's main demographics are 18 (and less) to 35, which really changes the dynamic from one of personal choice to going with the crowd.
Traveller
scotty wrote:
Lowering it to 18 in check with the rest of the world is understandable, however any lower and I don't think that would be wise.

Just to clarify. Honduras (where I live) is 21, not 18, so "the rest of the world" is NOT all 18, although much of it probably is.

Should it be lowered, though? Not in my opinion, but I've already commented on that part.
riv_
I see the point... but drinking, voting and voting are not the same thing.
Rights, priveleges and lifestyle choices are not to be treated the same way.
Perhaps if you would like them all handled with one age/rule across the board, we could go for a prohibition under a non-military dictatorship? Razz
BugBear
Meh i'm 18 years old and i don't think the drinking age should be lowered. When you are 18 years old you are still developing somewhat and you are more likely to become addicted than when you are older. Also when your 18 you already have a ton of hormones, why would you need alcohol? Smile
MJMX
They should never lower it instead increase it. More violence and drunk driving would happen otherwise. Here in Finland you can drink alcohol under 18 age, though it's agains the law, if policeman does see it he takes all alcohol and reports to guardians, but you won't get any penalty for that Surprised . But selling alcohol to youth , under 18 years is strictly forbidden
JBotAlan
I would love to see a "hands-off" approach from the government--their restrictions don't seem to do much as the kids in my classes drink anyhow. I mean, the government can't do anything if the big brother (older than 21, the legal drinking age in the US) buys beer for the little brother (high school age). How does the government keep that from happening? They can't. They might as well not bother at all.

It is awful, though, seeing all the things that happen with alcohol. A few kids in my high school plowed into a local restaurant in excess of 75MPH, and 2 of the 3 (?) died.

I think the only way we will control alcohol is from the parents. If the parents do not impress upon the kids that alcohol is nothing to mess with, consumption will get out of control.

This seems like a cultural shift now. It's almost like parents don't care.
Fake
Aless wrote:
Agreed. US needs to follow the example of almost every other country in the world - why the disparity?

I dont think it should be lowered.
Young kids need to be a bit more responsible b4 they can start losing their senses and enjoying alci-hol Razz
Afaceinthematrix
I don't really see the point of a drinking age at all. I don't drink myself, so I wouldn't really care if the age was 50 because it wouldn't affect me. But I don't see much point to age restrictions because I've heard of 13 and 14 year olds that get drunk on a regular basis. I live in the United States, so the drinking age is 21 but no one actually follows that law. It's not that hard to get a hold of alcohol.