FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Refresh and Win!

3shades
Hey guys, back again Smile

I have created a new site and would love some feedback, the basic premise is that by visiting or refreshing this site there is a chance that a claim form for $100 dollars will come up. This chance is randomized and very small, therefore you can increase your chances by refreshing or reloading the page.

The site/code does actually work, you can win. But the design/pages aren't completely finished yet, it needs a lot of work (don't flame about the logo! lol Embarassed )

Anyway, give it a try, I'd love to hear some feedback especially about how I can improve the design, if it's a complete flop then it's a complete flop, but it's worth a try eh? Wink

here it is..... www.refresh2win.com

Thanks!
Ben
GSIS
Kind of addictive.

Ok - I know I'm going to win on the next click ... Razz
3shades
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah it can get quite addictive...I keep trying to win myself! And I give out the money!
reddishblue
I am beginning to be driven mad...I had to pry my finger from the F5 button, to tell you the truth I have a hard time believing it's actually possible to win this thing, I must have refreshed at least 300 times, and no dice.
A screenshot of a winning page may boost my moral, but really, this seems like a scam to me.

Good luck to any loser...prospector that attempts this.
Reddish
GSIS
3shades wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah it can get quite addictive...I keep trying to win myself! And I give out the money!

Laughing

I don't know where you are in the world, but if you win do you have to declare your competition winnings and pay tax on them? Shocked
endless
i guess he just wants clicks ._.
3shades
GSIS wrote:
3shades wrote:

Laughing

I don't know where you are in the world, but if you win do you have to declare your competition winnings and pay tax on them? Shocked

That depends on your local governing laws Smile

Quote:
A screenshot of a winning page may boost my moral, but really, this seems like a scam to me.

Ok, I'll put one up, the chances are quite slim...but it is by no means impossible. The idea is you can go on in every now and again when you feel lucky or put it as your homepage or something, I would be bankrupt if everyone won on the first visit lol.

Quote:
i guess he just wants clicks ._.

No S*** sherlock the site is funded by advertising haha, I make no bones about this, the more ad revenue then the more to give out and higher chance of winning.

Thanks for stopping by anyway guys.

Good luck with all your sites.
Ben.
Ghost Rider103
haha when I opend your site, I started laughing. That is a very good idea to get more page clicks haha. I only refreshed about 5 times, but I could see how it could get ddicting. I bet you get quite a few clicks a day lol.

Well the actual design is good considering ehat thr site is made for, but yes the banner/logo at the top isn't very good.

Check out www.otgdesigns.net if you are looking for a new logo or banner.
m-productions

Ok the idea behind this... I LOVE IT!!!, if you get the word out, you could be getting tons and tons of hits, novelty sites like this always do great the first time around (and as far as i know.. this is one of a kind?)

the only problem is... it does not look professional. Whys this bad? well people will think its fake, if you make it look really nice, people will have a better chance of believing its real, and keep trying. Plus, if it looks nice, people will want to try more (if it looks ugly.. people just dont want to keep trying) all you need to do is check out a site like www.freewebtemplates.com (i think it is) find a nice one, and use one of those maybe.. if you dont have time to make your own.

1 question, about the google adds, if they releize its the same IP refreshing.. will something bad happen?
3shades
hey guys thanks for the feedback,

about the design....well I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so all I was planning on changing were the logos at the top...I think the rest is quite good...? Or maybe not lol

about the google ads....I emailed adsense and asked them to check out the idea and if it was ok and they said it was fine...I'm planning on moving away from google eventually because they don't pay much per impression, and I'm not really getting any clicks at the moment

but I'll have a look into the design issue...only problem is I've spent so much on setting it all up and filling the prize money pot and I haven't seen much return in advertising revenue to compensate yet..so any proffessional stuff might take a little while

also...although I completely hate them with a passion, I was considering putting some popups once every 15 refreshes or so...because at least in the short term this would get more revenue to be able to increase the chances a bit better....would this kill the site do you think?

thanks!
Ben.
the6thfactor
Neat idea for a site, I never would have thought of it. Keep working on the design of it like you said and you will be good to go
soulery
Win a hundred dollars???

Well, I'm sure going to try it!
rheanna
neat idea for a site but heck u get bored quick lol Nice site.
Digital Thoth
Yanno, I'm not the type of person who refreshes in hopes of winning big prizes, but I have got to say, all the little quotes are the only reason I keep refreshing.

I love quotes, and I couldn't careless about the site itself. It's a good idea, I guess, although all the hits and no clicks don't make you any money, I didn't think.

At any rate, keep rolling on with your bad self, and hopefully I'll hit the big one. But... make sure you add more quotes, otherwise I'll get bored and not want to come back!
3shades
Yeah I thought the quotes were a good idea... I think I need some more things to keep user interest though...that's why I'm toying with the idea of a chat/forum/something on a different page

Thanks a lot for the feedback though guys.

Ben.
truespeed
I think the text for "Sorry! You have not won this time, hit the F5 button to try again" should be a different color to the text for the quotes,they seem to blend into each other,so if for instance you did win,your attention would be taken away by reading the quote and your more than likely to click again without even noticing the above text as changed to winner.
3shades
Yeah, I get what you mean...but you will know if you have won...the click here button and quote both dissapear, and a very large form appears in its place for the user to click

I have added a 1 second delay to stop automated refreshes...does it impede usability too much?

Also I hate the new ad network I'm using but its the only one that I can get on at the moment that pays decently per impression...
irishmark
you need to do more to intice people

show some sucess stories or show some prizes - that kinda thing
darvit
What a genius site--I wish I came up with it. Laughing

I agree with everyone else--get a nicer design. It would add credibility to your site even if there aren't any success stories yet. Wink
3shades
Hey guys I updated the logo and reverted back to google ads.

Does the logo look professional enough or does it need more work?

Thanks!
Ben.
benjad
yup, that really is addictive, and if marketed right, could take off really big... need a few winners testemonials..

I also feel bad when viewing the site with adblock turned on.
Hobbit
This is incentivized traffic, so it's against the TOS.
3shades
Quote:

LOL. I think every single site on the web tries to get incentivized "traffic". I think you are talking about impressions....and I have already emailed google and had it approved so there are no problems with the TOS.

Ben.
James007
Backseat moderating is against the rules too you know?
3shades
James007 wrote:
Backseat moderating is against the rules too you know?

Sure, I'm completely aware of this, but I was not taking the role of a moderator at all. I am the original poster, and was informing him of the situation at my end. I am discussing the website. Forums are for discussion, this is the advertise your website section, therefore I am not doing anything wrong.

Thanks for your comment and checking out this thread anyway guys. Your opinions are proving invaluable I cannot thank you all enough!

Ben.
James007
I'm sorry 3shades, it was meant to Hobbit, not to you.
Hobbit
I wasn't backseat modding, I was giving constructive criticism (sometimes you have to read between the lines). I just don't want him to get banned. But it's good that he contacted Google although it's still very odd that they accepted, but cool.
benjad
perhaps in hobbits defense, when I read his post, I could not determine if he was saying it's against the TOS for google, or frihost. (Or maybe both).

*split topic*

I have been curious about this too ... is this forum only for frihost-ed sites, or all sites?
newso
What a scam, i have gone through every bit of code for your website and no way is it possible to win.

So get explaining yourself
{name here}
I cannot properly criticize your coding because of that redirect. Well, actually I was able to pull up the source window before the redirect, and opera was able to block your little clever javascript blocker(noscript would do the same thing as well). It seems rather poor HTML 4, with CSS and javascript directly embedded into the HTML document. The code is not in any particular case. The website does not look particularily good. It looks like a document from the 2000s. The google search bar and "make this your homepage" is unprofessional. It seems like a phishing scam just by the looks of the page in contrast with the content, though it is possible that it'd look like a phishing scam with a better design anyways.

3shades wrote:
Quote:

LOL. I think every single site on the web tries to get incentivized "traffic". I think you are talking about impressions....and I have already emailed google and had it approved so there are no problems with the TOS.

Ben.

Forcing people to view ads is no better than a bunch of click monkeys. Max Goldberg, a successful webmaster does not force people to view ads to access the site. He still makes money off the ads simply because most traffic is from IE, and IE doesn't have an ad blocker. At this stage of the game you shouldn't be too hurt by the adblockers.

Quote:
What a scam, i have gone through every bit of code for your website and no way is it possible to win.

I doubt that the system would be powered by Javascript and certainly not HTML, so you would never be able to see the code that it uses. I doubt that the site would expose its innards, as that would allow cheating.
DjinniFire
So what programming language do you use to notify the user that they won the $100?

Pretty nice idea from the standpoint of wanting money, but it's very saddening to see that you made a pointless website that a user clicks refresh.
newso
Quote:

I doubt that the system would be powered by Javascript and certainly not HTML, so you would never be able to see the code that it uses. I doubt that the site would expose its innards, as that would allow cheating.[/quote]

If you take a look at his source code, all hes doing is displaying random text, all of them are "sorry you have not won this time"

there is no option for "you are a winner" they all say sorry you have not won.

To prove this, copy the source code into Microsoft Expression 2007 and see how hes created the website to con people.
JC Denton
Couldn't view the site because of AdBlock and I ain't wanna take it away. Rolling Eyes
3shades
Dear Newso,

Please do not try to be a pro at html when you are clearly not...or at least when you do not understand something called server side scripting.

The code used is a line of cgi code, this is not visible to the user. There is a text file which contains thousands of lines of entries, most of them are losing entries, of course. But this is a free site and if I gave away $100 to everyone who visited it first I would be broke!

I think the fact that the text changes is proof enough that this is not static text...but please, newso, google the words "random html cgi".

I am going to remove the anti adblock...the only thing is, I don't see why I should be giving away my money without getting anything back...but I will find a way of dealing with this further down the line.

Thanks for your feedback anyway!
Ben.
newso
3shades wrote:
Dear Newso,

Please do not try to be a pro at html when you are clearly not...or at least when you do not understand something called server side scripting.

The code used is a line of cgi code, this is not visible to the user. There is a text file which contains thousands of lines of entries, most of them are losing entries, of course. But this is a free site and if I gave away $100 to everyone who visited it first I would be broke!

I think the fact that the text changes is proof enough that this is not static text...but please, newso, google the words "random html cgi".

I am going to remove the anti adblock...the only thing is, I don't see why I should be giving away my money without getting anything back...but I will find a way of dealing with this further down the line.

Thanks for your feedback anyway!
Ben.

Whatever, how about you post your code here. Proove that you aint just invented a new scam. In 2 mins, i copied your source code using Microsoft Web Expression 2007. Uploaded it to my web space, works find without your so called hidden code.

If anyone believes they are actually going to win, or even have a chance of winning. I might just be a complete tw@t and report your site and let it be investigated.

They will just come up with the same conclusion as me.
DjinniFire
newso:

even though it may be a scam, you couldn't fully prove it with ur microsoft expression engine because the pages you are saving will not contain the server side scripting that he has used for the website. If he used javascript for the stuff you would be able to see in source but other than that you couldn't get the CGI (if that's what he is using) scripting no matter how hard you click the save button or how many times you open the site in your expression engine or w/e that is.
nhuabo
Anybody wins?
I doubt nobody can win,it is a way to create traffic.
I learned a important lesson,don't be greedy.
I must say it is quite addictive to me,a poor person.
I refresh many times but failed.