FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there anything like this? (Cat5 to wireless adapter)

ocalhoun
I was wondering if there is anything like this on the market...

*It connects to the PC via wired Ethernet connection.
*The PC connects to it just as it would to any other wired network.
*The device can be configured or told to connect to different wireless networks through html by typing it's IP address into a browser.
*It connects to wireless networks like a normal PC (connects to wireless access points (WAPs), not other PC's), and bridges the connection between the wired and wireless, thereby connecting the PC to the wireless network.

Ideally, it would also:
-Get power via USB.
-Have a display showing signal strength and/or other information on the outside of it's case.
-Choose wireless networks automatically, and have as many options for configuring the way it does so as the software on a wireless-enabled PC.

So: is there any such thing in existence?
This would be similar to a normal WAP, but WAPs do not connect to other WAPs, they only connect to wireless PC's. (Correct me on that if I'm wrong, in which case I could use a WAP for this.)
xbcd
ocalhoun wrote:
I was wondering if there is anything like this on the market...

*It connects to the PC via wired Ethernet connection.
*The PC connects to it just as it would to any other wired network.
*The device can be configured or told to connect to different wireless networks through html by typing it's IP address into a browser.
*It connects to wireless networks like a normal PC (connects to wireless access points (WAPs), not other PC's), and bridges the connection between the wired and wireless, thereby connecting the PC to the wireless network.

Ideally, it would also:
-Get power via USB.
-Have a display showing signal strength and/or other information on the outside of it's case.
-Choose wireless networks automatically, and have as many options for configuring the way it does so as the software on a wireless-enabled PC.

So: is there any such thing in existence?
This would be similar to a normal WAP, but WAPs do not connect to other WAPs, they only connect to wireless PC's. (Correct me on that if I'm wrong, in which case I could use a WAP for this.)
that is exactly what i do with my xbox. you can get a wrt54GL router by linksys and do exactly that. But it won't power by usb it powers by wall. When you get the GL router (Has to be GL or its a no go) you can install hyperwrt and set it up via html and tell it to connect any pc that plugs into one of its 4 ether ports on the back to connect to a wireless access point that you configure with html. PM me and i can help you more if you want. The total price would be $60 for the price of the router and my assistance is free. You would be able to connect up to 4 pc's using this device and they would wirelessly tie into you wireless network.
Arnie
Wait, why don't you just use a USB wireless NIC? You know, one of those "dongles". Or, if possible, a PCI wireless NIC / Cardbus (if it's for a laptop). That will also connect you to a wireless network, so in effect it does the same, but it's probably a lot cheaper than buying a whole router... is there a specific reason you want to have it through an RJ45 port?
xbcd
Arnie wrote:
Wait, why don't you just use a USB wireless NIC? You know, one of those "dongles". Or, if possible, a PCI wireless NIC / Cardbus (if it's for a laptop). That will also connect you to a wireless network, so in effect it does the same, but it's probably a lot cheaper than buying a whole router... is there a specific reason you want to have it through an RJ45 port?

When i wrote the post it was in my thinking that he does not have usb on the device. A example would be a xbox or a ps2. Heck even a xbox 360 since you can not connect a 3rd party wireless to the 360. But if you think about it, what i told him would allow him to connect 4 pc to a wireless network. 60/4=$15 which makes it cheaper than a wireless usb adapter. Also if you add a switch your connections are unlimited and you can connect even more pc's.
ocalhoun
Arnie wrote:

Actually, the reason is that I'm using SuSE on my laptop, and I'm having problems getting the wireless network configured, though the wired works just fine. Therefore, adding yet another wireless nic (I've already tried 3) would not be likely to succeed. Through much trial and error, I've found that getting it to work would be beyond my level of skill. Paying someone to configure it would cost from $60 to $120 if it succeeds at all, which makes a sure-thing $60 router seem like a nice deal.
xbcd
well you could definately go this why but i am a Suse user and i know that all you have to do is install madwifi and almost every d-link and linksys pci wireless card works. But w/e

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Compatible/dp/B000BTL0OA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-7578790-7283662?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183267255&sr=8-1

that is the router you need. BTW you can look elsewhere just make sure it is the wrt54GL model cause the GL part is extreeeeeeemly important.

Now for the install guide
http://heifner.blogspot.com/2006/09/10-steps-to-setup-wrt54gl-with-thibors.html

go until step 9 then stop. Now that you stoped go to wireless tab
change wireless mode to "client"
Type in the SSID of the network you are wanting to connect to
Choose the channel that the wireless network is on (if you don't know then go to this link in your browser http://192.168.1.1/SiteSurvey.asp)
Click apply
Under the security tab type in all your security info like password etc.
Click Apply
Go to the Setup tab and change internet connection to disabled
Change the router ip to 192.168.1.254
Enable spanning tree protocol
click apply
and you should now be connected to your network.
Tell me if you have any problems.

P.S. If you want to edit options again this time you have to type in 192.168.1.254 instead of 192.168.1.1

Peace out
kuyman
Linksys makes a device called the Linksys Game somethingrather that they sell at Wal*Mart. You can also hack a La Fonera router via some hackery, but that's probably mostly illegal and time consuming. (But it works and also works as a wireless extender, in case anyone cares.)