FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why are most techno and DJ's style artists not really known?

Holy
Think about it... you always see a bunch of rock bands (Linkin Park, Sum 41, Fall Out Boy, Kiss, etc), Rappers/Hip Hop artists (50 Cent, Usher, Jay-Z, etc), and all of these other singers and people, but you never see a techno style artist or a DJ (like Basshunter, Cornandbeans [he rocks!], DJ Testo, Dimrain47, etc). These guys have some rock solid music, but you do not see them making millions or becoming famous. I doubt that more than a quarter of you have even heard of Cornandbeans or Dimrain47, yet I bet all of you know who Linkin Park and 50 Center are... Why is that? Is it because of the demand for Hip Hop, Rap, and Rock music? Or is it because most people do not really consider techno, rave, drum & base, DJ, and stuff music? Do they just consider it a sound or a beat to listen to while working out to get themselves pumped or something to play during a sports event to get the players for pumped or something along those lines? What do you guys think?
kazikame
Because they don't have MTV and radio stations playing their tracks. Rave is starting to gain a following in the UK though, because of NME.
pudovkin
... because they are many? hahaha

Try MySpace. There's lots of impressive DJ set works around there.
AVA182
Quote:
Think about it... you always see a bunch of rock bands (Linkin Park, Sum 41, Fall Out Boy, Kiss, etc), Rappers/Hip Hop artists (50 Cent, Usher, Jay-Z, etc), and all of these other singers and people, but you never see a techno style artist or a DJ (like Basshunter, Cornandbeans [he rocks!], DJ Testo, Dimrain47, etc). These guys have some rock solid music, but you do not see them making millions or becoming famous. I doubt that more than a quarter of you have even heard of Cornandbeans or Dimrain47, yet I bet all of you know who Linkin Park and 50 Center are... Why is that? Is it because of the demand for Hip Hop, Rap, and Rock music? Or is it because most people do not really consider techno, rave, drum & base, DJ, and stuff music? Do they just consider it a sound or a beat to listen to while working out to get themselves pumped or something to play during a sports event to get the players for pumped or something along those lines? What do you guys think?

You make a good point. Techno/electronica/trance/rave etc. is unique, and it's a relitavely new genre if you compare it to classic for example. It's all made on electronic devices (computers for example), which we didn't have 100 years ago. So maybe people are still getting used to it.

By the way, I found a pretty sick DJ the other day on MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/djpureofficial
The Mitchell
there are thousands of DJ's making it famous. yeah there are probably thousands who dont but only in the same way there are still thousands of bands who dont make it huge. its all perspective. if your out and about looking for dj's and going to raves, free parties and clubs then you'll find lads of dj's. we go to see plenty all the time in manchester. Same goes with bands if your out looking for bands you'll find em. DJ kentaro, dj food an dk, dj format, dj shadow thats just to reel off a very small list of djs in my collection. Also many djs only play other peoples tunes for example erol alkan only does remixes and none of his own material (that is gonna be ace tho on sat) but yeah many djs only mix. Seek my friend and ye shall find. just because its not on the radio does not mean it isnt in the public eye by any means
The Mitchell
kazikame wrote:
Because they don't have MTV and radio stations playing their tracks. Rave is starting to gain a following in the UK though, because of NME.

#also new rave is not rave music its very different. please tell me you are not referring to the klaxxons and their 'NU rave' genre. They actually made that comment as a joke and its stuck ever since. the klaxxons are nothing like rave music.
Jurado
Most people don't like it, But I like Trance etc.

A few months ago, in Holland there was a dance number @ 1 in the normal charts. And their clip have been played a lot on TMF, some kind of a Dutch MTV. The clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=womFrEzka4A
Flakky
I think due the fact that there are a lot of fans of those music genres like rap and so on that everyone will hear about them but if you listen to an other genre you will know all DJ's but you are alone about spreading the word. Just overreacting like you are on your one Wink
Tiesto got fame, he played live worldwide at the Olympics, but he is the only one who did that.
Chalchihuitlicue
This is something that I noticed, mostly because my favorite band (Schwarz Stein) was a dark techno band that split up in 2004... Since then, the singer, Kaya, has gained a lot of fans and is quite well known for his music and for modeling. However, the composer/musician, Hora, is barely known at all, though his music is just as good, and he has produced almost twice as much as Kaya. Though Hora doesn't seem to be pushing his music very much (he only sells it on his private site, and limits all releases to 500 or so copies), so it may not be entirely because techno musicians are under-appreciated. XD
catscratches
Quote:
but you never see a techno style artist or a DJ (like Basshunter)

You don't see Basshunter?!??!? Here in Sweden radio plays him, he's everywhere. I hate him. His music sucks and I've heard it a million of times! I can't understand what people think is good with it. "Jag känner en bot. Den heter Anna, Anna heter den" [repeat x100].

But why should you see them? The "well-known" (many of my classmates don't know any) rock bands aren't good, it's those not-known that often are the best ones. ( I just seem to have a different taste that most other people have).