FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Songwriting

giovle
Hi,

I play in several bands and I'm always on the lookout for neat themes to write songs about. If you feel like sharing an idea or two ... feel free te hit that reply button!
Helios
Philosophy, mythology, history, your personal views and idea(l)s.
Depends on the music you play.
McDucque
Be like the Japanese...

Flowers and/or Candy, with lots of big adjectives.

I wrote a song about Muffins the other day.
molif
songs about life..! those more meaningful..
SimonWSTS
Sometimes it can be really fun to pick random words and make a song out of them, although that can go very wrong.

Try and think of a topic that is completely unheard of and/or uncommon though because it works out in a much more interesting song. My band wrote a song about our techie and it turned out to be our catchiest song and the one that we use as our flagship.

Another good thing is to find a phrase or saying and that can make a really catchy hookline.
giovle
I've just returned from a festival here in Belgium: Rock Werchter with lot's of band playing throughout the 4 days. I heard a few songs from the killers and arctic monkeys that gave me some ideas

Anyways, thanks to you all, for giving me some inspiration. I seem to have lost mine lately Crying or Very sad Does anyone of you have an idea of how to get my inspiration back?
giovle
In fact, does anyone have a special ritual he/she performs before writing songs? I mean like Green Day, they've set up a kind of amusement parc in the backyard of their recording studio ... Something like that.
Maybe you listen to some music first, maybe you get high ... If you feel like sharing your method to writing songs, feel free to do it Very Happy

Ciao
Bengt
giovle wrote:
In fact, does anyone have a special ritual he/she performs before writing songs? I mean like Green Day, they've set up a kind of amusement parc in the backyard of their recording studio ... Something like that.
Maybe you listen to some music first, maybe you get high ... If you feel like sharing your method to writing songs, feel free to do it Very Happy

Ciao

Well,
dont see it as just a process in steps i think.
Just let it flow, and when you feel like it, pick up your guitar or whatever and express yourself, express how you feel/felt, what you think...
giovle
Yeah, I didn't think of it as a stepwise process but I was wondering if somebody maybe had some kind of routine ...
achene
Write songs about something you can relate to yourself.

It can be love, politics and everything else, but it's important to know what you want to tell the listener.

- Achene
azbuky
Hi!

I've always liked music and, a few years ago, I tried to compose a few songs. From my experience, I could tell you to write about what you like most, about what you feel. I frequently compose poems and poems are the "written base" of any song. If you don't feel what you're writing about, nothing good will come out! Of course, depending on the words, you then compose the melody.

Good luck! Smile
sondosia
I agree with the poem idea. Personally, I don't write songs, but I do write lots of poetry. I'm often told that my poems flow well enough to be songs. Also, the best songs (in my opinion) are the ones that are full of metaphors and beautiful ways of saying things; not like most rock and pop songs I know. Listen to James Blunt or Coldplay and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Very Happy I love their lyrics.

~Mimzy
SimonWSTS
Another idea just to broaden things, people have been talking about poems, bear in mind it doesn't have to rhyme. If you use song lyrics in particular to tell a story then it doesn't make the blindest bit of difference if it doesn't rhyme and it will sound different and interesting.
garmon
I've always loved writing about 'big' things. About the world. Travel to the city and see the sights in a car. Stare out the window and stare at all the beautiful things. Write stuff about that stuff. Its extremely inspiring. The night sky and atmosphere is a good stimulus too. But I'm a weird kid. Try it out anyway.
giovle
garmon wrote:
I've always loved writing about 'big' things. About the world. Travel to the city and see the sights in a car. Stare out the window and stare at all the beautiful things. Write stuff about that stuff. Its extremely inspiring. The night sky and atmosphere is a good stimulus too. But I'm a weird kid. Try it out anyway.

Haha, you're not such a weird kid Laughing Sometimes I just lie down on the lawn and look at the stars at night. But when I write songs about the things I see, they all turn out to be sad songs or slow songs. For some reason I seem to be unable to write something happy and uptempo Confused It must be me, cause my environment isn't bad at all Razz