FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

opening pages in dreamweaver

TurtleShell
I don't use web authoring software--only HTML editors. I'm designing a couple sites right now in which I have removed the tables to hold together the structure of the page, and the site is primarily held together with CSS. After some tweaking for all IE's inconsistent support of CSS, the sites look fine in all the browsers.

I just opened up one of the pages in Dreamweaver, and it looks terrible! Why does this happen? I need this to be compatible with web authoring systems for the people I'm designing this for, who will use WYSIWYG software, not html editors, to maintain the sites.
imagefree
TurtleShell wrote:
I don't use web authoring software--only HTML editors. I'm designing a couple sites right now in which I have removed the tables to hold together the structure of the page, and the site is primarily held together with CSS. After some tweaking for all IE's inconsistent support of CSS, the sites look fine in all the browsers.

I just opened up one of the pages in Dreamweaver, and it looks terrible! Why does this happen? I need this to be compatible with web authoring systems for the people I'm designing this for, who will use WYSIWYG software, not html editors, to maintain the sites.

i m also using Dreamweaver, but i have a different experience. I really love it and its really dreamweaver.

The problem may be that dreamweaver is not a browser, so doesnt act like a browser. However, it you research deep on the page in dreamweaver, you will understand why dreamweaver is creating problems.

I have a detailed knowledge of Dreamweaver. You can ask anything here.
Aredon
When saving a site to your PC, many images in CSS use relative URLs which become broken links once located on your PC. Over time I've learned an efficient way of changing all relative URLs to absolute.

Using Internet Explorer 7.0 visit the site you are trying to save.
e.g. https://wwws.ameritrade.com/apps/LogIn
(it has a cool background around the login form)
Next save the page via File -> Save As...
Then in the dialog box that pops up, choose:

File name: Log on to TD AMERITRADE
Save as type: Web Archive, single file (*.mht)
Encoding: Western European (ISO)

You should now have a page named "Log on to TD AMERITRADE.mht" on your desktop or wherever else you saved it.
Next open "Log on to TD AMERITRADE.mht" from your desktop in IE7.
Then save the page via File -> Save As...
Then in the dialog box that pops up, choose:

File name: Log on to TD AMERITRADE
Save as type: Webpage, HTML only (*.htm;*.html)
Encoding: Western European (ISO)

You should now be able to open "Log on to TD AMERITRADE.htm" from your desktop, Dreamweaver, or whatever other editor you have without having to worry about broken relative URLs.
GB
that's a neat trick. I just got Dreamweaver CS3 (used GoLive before) and I might need to do that as my sites may not transfer well.