FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Erroring or Erring?





matto
I can't find erroring in the dictionary but I do find erring.

as you can see the definition of the two words are slightly different. So if I want to say that my software is in the act of throwing errors, is it appropriate to say my application is erring when erring really means to be doing something offending or moraly wrong?

If it is, then how does the word error modify the word err?

Definition of the root word for erring:
err (ûr, ĕr) pronunciation
intr.v., erred, err·ing, errs.

1. To make an error or a mistake.
2. To violate accepted moral standards; sin.
3. Archaic. To stray.

definition of Error:
er·ror (ĕr'ər) pronunciation
n.

1. An act, assertion, or belief that unintentionally deviates from what is correct, right, or true.
2. The condition of having incorrect or false knowledge.
3. The act or an instance of deviating from an accepted code of behavior.
4. A mistake.
5. Mathematics. The difference between a computed or measured value and a true or theoretically correct value.
6. (Abbr. E) Baseball. A defensive fielding or throwing misplay by a player when a play normally should have resulted in an out or prevented an advance by a base runner.
Obake
It's grammatically appropriate to use erring in your situation (to err is really just the verb form of the noun error: there is no such verb as erroring). However, people rarely talk of inanimate objects erring--possibly it has to do with the slight moral connotation you're talking about--so I'd suggest just saying that the application is displaying an error.
matto
Thanks, I think part of the problem is that I use the word erring often when speaking with someone, but it struck me as odd when I wrote it out.

I can learn to live with it I guess, I really shouldn't be typing the way I speak anyhow...
pedrothelion
But surely the computer could err as well?

The moral aspect of the verb is just one of the three usages it has as apparent by the dictionary. The "1. To make an error or a mistake." part is set apart from the "2. To violate accepted moral standards; sin." otherwise they wouldn't be listed like that.
They are listed like that because the word can have different, even if they here are very similar, meanings depending on context.

Right..?[/b]
Obake
pedrothelion wrote:
But surely the computer could err as well?


Grammatically, you're right--as I said before, err is just the verb form of error. But in terms of usage, it's unusual to hear people talk about inanimate objects erring--the most common phrasing regarding computers is to say that "it's showing/displaying/giving out an error". For almost anything else, if it's in error then it's actually broken somehow, and so people say that.

To say that a computer errs implies that the error is somehow the computer's fault, and that's often not the case--remember PEBCAC, guys.
Octaeder
pedrothelion wrote:
But surely the computer could err as well?


But surely the majority of reasons for a computer erring are due to something a human has done, or the original programming of the software the computer is running.

OK, a computer could err due to a hardware fault, but that would more be classed as damage or breakege than erring.

That's by the by though, grammaticly you would use erring not erroring as has been mentioned.
ddukki
They're both from the Latin "erro" (1st conjugate) which means to wander. In Latin, the noun is "error, erroris" and the verb is "erro" so there's your difference. In computer lingo, people make up jargon all the time, so it wouldn't be technically incorrect to call it erroring.
Obake
ddukki wrote:
In computer lingo, people make up jargon all the time, so it wouldn't be technically incorrect to call it erroring.


Um...yes it would be. The trend in computer lingo is a) generally to create words either for or to accommodate things that didn't really exist in the same way before computers/the Internet came along, and/or b) to contract already existing words. The (non-)word "erroring" does neither. I suppose you could relate it to the current trend of verbalising nouns, but it's still very rare for a new word to be created when a perfectly good and commonly known alternative already exists, especially if it means inserting extra syllables into the already-existing word. That sort of thing seems to go against people's instincts these days. Smile
Crazy_Canuck
Obake wrote:
I suppose you could relate it to the current trend of verbalising nouns


Not to go off topic, but this practice should be outlawed and punishable by flogging with the dampened pages of Strunk & White's Style Guide.

Having said that, is "verbalising" the correct usage here? Verbizing? Verbifying? Verbification? Laughing Laughing
Obake
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Not to go off topic, but this practice should be outlawed and punishable by flogging with the dampened pages of Strunk & White's Style Guide.


I broadly agree, although there are times where I've seen it done to comic and ironic effect, and in the context of blogs/lj...well, it's a private (for a variable value of private), deeply informal, slangy area anyway, so playing with words like that is...well, it's not exactly inappropriate, you know? What bothers me more is when trends like that creep into marketing/advertising/news reporting in an effort to make products/reporters seem cool. Those are contexts where proper English ought to be used.

Mind you, at this rate we're going to wind up with two concurrent versions of the language. Rolling Eyes

Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Having said that, is "verbalising" the correct usage here?


...ahaha, you're right. I thought about that briefly before posting, went "....screw it, I can't think of another appropriate word right now", and hit the submit button. I think it tends to be referred to as 'verbing nouns'--as in, 'I'll verb your noun'. Meaning that the only way to describe the practice of turning a normal noun into a verb is by actually doing it.
ddukki
Obake wrote:
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Not to go off topic, but this practice should be outlawed and punishable by flogging with the dampened pages of Strunk & White's Style Guide.


I broadly agree, although there are times where I've seen it done to comic and ironic effect, and in the context of blogs/lj...well, it's a private (for a variable value of private), deeply informal, slangy area anyway, so playing with words like that is...well, it's not exactly inappropriate, you know? What bothers me more is when trends like that creep into marketing/advertising/news reporting in an effort to make products/reporters seem cool. Those are contexts where proper English ought to be used.

Mind you, at this rate we're going to wind up with two concurrent versions of the language. Rolling Eyes

Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Having said that, is "verbalising" the correct usage here?


...ahaha, you're right. I thought about that briefly before posting, went "....screw it, I can't think of another appropriate word right now", and hit the submit button. I think it tends to be referred to as 'verbing nouns'--as in, 'I'll verb your noun'. Meaning that the only way to describe the practice of turning a normal noun into a verb is by actually doing it.
"And all mimsy were the borograves, / and mome wraths outgrabe" ... ^_^ Sorry, I thought it was appropriate.
poly
"Erring" sounds really funny, I guess nobody ever uses it! I would rather say "making mistakes" or "being wrong", I guess.
Obake
poly wrote:
"Erring" sounds really funny, I guess nobody ever uses it! I would rather say "making mistakes" or "being wrong", I guess.


Erring isn't exactly obscure, but you're right--it's not in very common use today. Probably the most common phrases where you'd use it are "to err is human, but forgiveness is divine" (and the more contemporary, "to err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer"), and "to err/erring on the side of caution".
zjosie729
I think "error" is a noun so you can't really make it "erroring".
Related topics
Clinton: NSA Eavesdropped on U.S. Calls
500- Internal Server Error - DONT START NEW THREADS
"When I grow up" dress up party??
frih$ cash-in to loosen 45 Points limit
Linkin Park Poll!!!
HOW does religion start wars?
Time Travel: Is it Possible?
Stop it!
My DVD-Drive wont work properly....
How do you like your steak cooked?
State representative vs. Tea Bagger
Environmental Protection: My Ideal Solution
Banned from sex
why religion is necessary? what do u think?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Literature

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.