FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone been to Split, Croatia?

IceCreamTruck
Just checking to see if anyone here has been or plans to go to Split, Croatia.

It is one of the coolest places that I've ever been and I plan on going back as soon as I can.

I spent 1 week and two days there in 98 and it was a great summer. Everyone was out on the walking street at night, and the city was filled with life despite being located near the war torn border with Bosnia.

I was a little concerned when driving down the highway I read signs that said " Do not get out of your car, or pull over: Land mines!! ". Needless to say I felt a little intimidated by the signs, and the bombed out buildings that lined the highway, but the yellow and white lines of the highway pointed us towards the safety of the coast line.

When the van finally pulled in to split I thought that it looked a lot like Budapest, Hungary. The cinder block apartment buildings in the newer developed areas weren't much too look at, but as you neared the coast you started to see some really old architecture that makes the city look like a roman settlement, which it is, and it takes much of it's culture from Italy across the sea.

The cliffs are really what make it such an impressive sight. On the northern most coastline of downtown there is a cliff that is 50 meters, and it's a spot where some of the local kids have taken up cliff jumping into the sea. It's super fun, and there's enough time to yell, take a breath, and yell again before you hit the water. What a thrill.

If any of you get a chance to go to the Mediterranean Sea then I recommend buying a summer home in Split, Croatia. Ha, don't I wish!!!
GSIS
Nice recommendation. A few years ago I did some work in Zagreb. I managed to find some time to be a tourist and walked up to the castle above the city. Loved it.

More recently my SO has been to Dubrovnik.

We both like the country so much we'll probably go again some time in the next year or two. Split might be a good choice.
kvdisclosure
yeah ! nice recommendation .
But i still a Student and i from indonesian so i can`t go there coz my parent not give the permission to me for strip to go there. . . ..

huuu uhhhh .. . .

i only can dream for visite there -_-
watersoul
IceCreamTruck wrote:

The cliffs are really what make it such an impressive sight. On the northern most coastline of downtown there is a cliff that is 50 meters, and it's a spot where some of the local kids have taken up cliff jumping into the sea. It's super fun, and there's enough time to yell, take a breath, and yell again before you hit the water. What a thrill.

Now that sounds my kind of place!

...and I've just found a dirt cheap 97 return flight near there, hmm, so so tempted to do next weekend, warmer sea there as well!

Very Happy