FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dream Theater's new album!

basementgamesltd
Hey All,
Dream Theater's new release is a solid disc-filled, 78-minute, journey that should please most fans and shows they still are on top of their game. Their intense musicianship and enduring passion to create great tunes and give it their all shines through on this disc, however, the lyrics still are their weakest link. Although they break no new ground in their musical styling, Portnoy's vocals, that used to make me cringe because of the sour notes he hit, have improved, or maybe I'm just getting used to them.

My least favorite tracks on "Systematic Chaos" are the last few minutes of "Repentance" with the dialog babble in the background, and I'm not a fan of the industrial-techno-disco-sounding riff on "Prophets of War". Otherwise, this disc is killer, the engineering and artwork are amazing, and this probably will be the best prog-metal release of the year.

The special edition DVD is a must and includes a behind the scenes "making of" feature and a 5.1 mix of the album. The 90-minute documentary is good and Portnoy's personality rules the film, but it's odd that John Myung didn't say anything through the entire feature. Was this how he wanted it? Some of his thoughts on the album would have been a treat. The 5.1 mix is awesome - full, thick, spacious and you can even hear the bass guitar, so get rid of the earbuds, buy a decent surround system, and crank it up!

Keep it real...
teko
nice one, didnt know this was out. Now Im off to the shops!
GuitarEssentials
Love my Dream Theater. Amazing vocals, guitar, bass, drums AND keyboard...what more do you want?
hsadmin
I gotta go get it.. lol.. I love Dream Theater..
Nutteloos
Dream Theater is surely on the cover-tour with this album. Forsaken sounds a lot like Evanescence, Consant Motion has Metallica written all over it, and the Muse influence in Prophets of War (a brilliant track nontheless) simply can't be denied.

I'm not a big fan of the direction they're heading in, actually. I hear a lot of people are glad that James finally started grunting, but for me that's where it ends. Dark Eternal Night has some nice elements but the vocals are awful.

Of course, the first and last two tracks make up for just about anything, so I'll probably still buy this album sometime soon.
Jakob [JaWGames]
I have problems with deciding where to put Dream Theater. Some of their songs are just boring while others are indeed very interesting.
I'll Maybe get the album but I am not sure..
teko
I would have to agree with you, was listening to some sample of their songs on this album, while some were great some were not so great and I found myself just skipping to the next track
Nutteloos
Especially Repentance sounds a bit like Repetance at times, I agree.
teko
Nutteloos wrote:
Especially Repentance sounds a bit like Repetance at times, I agree.

Funny!
David_Pardy
I've only managed to listen to the album a couple of times as well, and so far I like it a LOT more than I liked Octavarium.

The release date snuck up on me as well! I knew they were writing a new album, but I was in JB Hifi looking at the Dream Theater section thinking "I wonder if there's anything of there's I don't have yet.". Then I spot SC, and think... I don't remember them having an album with that title! What's the release year?? 2007?

So I called my friend Nick, and he said "Yeah the release is supposed to be (later in July) and it's called Systematic Chaos", so I said "Well that may be the release date but I'm holding a copy of it in my hand at JB Hifi"

and it was funny.

But yeah, I got it. It's good, but I need to listen to it again to give a better opinion.
evilDMT
Dream Theater are great don't get my wrong, I am looking forward to them coming to Australia sometime early next year with some hope. But as I have grown with Dream Theater, I really think they need to do their own projects. Move on.. and each of them do their own seperate projects.

I love Dream Theater to death, but I think it is time for a change for them. BUT, they must do this after they tour Australia .. lol
dwikristianto
i love to hear it, but now i dont have a penny to buy it. Sad
Nutteloos
evilDMT wrote:
Dream Theater are great don't get my wrong, I am looking forward to them coming to Australia sometime early next year with some hope. But as I have grown with Dream Theater, I really think they need to do their own projects. Move on.. and each of them do their own seperate projects.

I love Dream Theater to death, but I think it is time for a change for them. BUT, they must do this after they tour Australia .. lol

Actually, they all have their separate projects. Especially Jordan and Mike, but the others also have their albums with other people.

I'm a big fan of Jordan Rudess' solo albums. Any DT fan should give them a try.