FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MICROSOFT SURFACE - Awaiting your comments

samay
Please use quote tags when copying and pasting wrote:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

After five years of keeping the project shrouded in secrecy, Microsoft today revealed its plans for Microsoft Surface, the first product in a category the company calls "surface computing." The technology, formerly code-named Milan, lets Microsoft turn a seemingly ordinary surface, such as a tabletop or a wall, into a computer. Introduced today at the D: All Things Digital conference in Carlsbad, California, Microsoft Surface is a "multi-touch" tabletop computer that interacts with users through touch on multiple points on the screen.

The concept is simple: Users interact with the computer completely by touch, on a surface other than a standard screen. "It will feel like Minority Report," promises Pete Thompson, general manager of Microsoft's surface computing group. "Very futuristic--but it will be here this year."

"We see it as the first of its kind in a new category of computing device. It's very approachable for users; the learning curve should be very instinctual," says Thompson.

Mark Bolger, director of marketing for Microsoft's consumer productivity experiences group, adds, "This is a NUI--a natural user interface. It's a natural way for people to interact with digital content using their hands. Users can control information with the flick of a hand."

The product unveiled today will be Microsoft branded and available to the company's four partners--Harrah's Entertainment, International Game Technologies, Starwood Hotels, and T-Mobile--in November. Starwood Hotels plans to put Microsoft Surface devices in common areas, to provide functions such as a virtual concierge; T-Mobile will use them to enhance the cell phone shopping experience. Microsoft expects to deploy dozens of units with each of its partners by year's end.
achowles
I've seen this before recently. It's a very interesting new technology but I feel that it will be some time before Surface is both affordable and a genuinely useful thing to have. Microsoft said that it was the first of a line of products, and no doubt others in future will have greater functionality.

As it stands it looks very impressive, but I don't see many buying it on the strengths of it's practical uses.
soccerplaya2090
yea i saw the website early this month or late last month.
it looks amazing. its supposed to be 5,000 or 10,000. i dont remember well probably only see it in restaraunts and hotels to start with or people that are rich and can afford to spend that much but it looks amazing. i want to get one once the price lowers.
it would be fun.
BugBear
Looks pretty neat but as a luxury item. It doesn't have much use for it as it is fun i guess. Had my hopes up when you guys talked about it Smile.
bigdan
It looks like a nice bit of kit to have...I can see a lot of businesses using this in the future.
Vrythramax
I agree the technology seems very interesting, but if has any of the look and feel of Vista I wouldn't poke it with a stolen stick.

M$ has a habit of releasing technology (???) that isn't quite finished.

Personally I'll wait until they work the bugs out.
kazikame
It looks interesting, but it's going to be expensive. It'll take a long time to catch on.
eday2010
Fecking awesome. If I had something like that at home, I'd be in heaven. I guess Apple isn't the only one with innovative genes Smile
SpellcasterDX
It's looks very impressive, however as stated by Vrythramax, Microsoft tends to relase things while they're still buggy. And besides that, I'm sure it'll be very expensive when it first comes out.

I'd like to have it once the price drops and once it's not so buggy. (Like I said, I think it'll be buggy like Vista is/was)
snowboardalliance
achowles wrote:
I've seen this before recently. It's a very interesting new technology but I feel that it will be some time before Surface is both affordable and a genuinely useful thing to have. Microsoft said that it was the first of a line of products, and no doubt others in future will have greater functionality.

As it stands it looks very impressive, but I don't see many buying it on the strengths of it's practical uses.

Probably not at all a consumer item yet. We'll probably just see it used by businesses as said before. Although it could become a household thing eventually
MYP415
it was announced about a few weeks ago and it looks pretty good. Here is a parody of it, pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY
Vrythramax
eday2010 wrote:
Fecking awesome. If I had something like that at home, I'd be in heaven. I guess Apple isn't the only one with innovative genes Smile

I agree Apple does have some great innovation, but I doubt they could to throw 10 billion dollars into research an development simply to create a beta product to place on the shelves for those poors souls to buy thinking...WOW M$ is so great....this must be fantastic, it's brand new!
Aless
Sounds really cool. Of course it'll probably be sold at a rate far in excess of its value. Sounds like something Apple would come up with actually - very sleek and sophisticated.
shkumbin
Hey guys check out this cool video of the Microsoft Surface parody, obviosly guys at Sarcastic Gamer want a Surface Computer, but since they can't afford one, they thought it might be fun to make fun of it.

Here is the link:
http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/63392/detail/

Laughing Laughing
gtherockgod
MYP415 wrote:
it was announced about a few weeks ago and it looks pretty good. Here is a parody of it, pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrr7AZ9nCY

hahaha, that was hilarious.

Its an interesting technology. I think it would catch on quite quickly...with those who can afford it. Thanks for the information- i hadn't heard about this announcement til now.
Pikokola
well... luxurious... but... I hope it's affordable (well.. I hope I shouldn't wait for 5-10 years to get it T___T)

Quote:

LoL XD Take that Apple!

~~~ And "apple" answered... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigsOR9r36k

―3― muach....
James007
Moved to Hardware and Electronics.

Always include your own opinion when quoting a news article.
pll
This is like in a movie.

I personally think it will be AMAZING for those who can afford. It's the new technology now, the Iphone is coming out tomorrow with the same touch-screen tech. I would like to have one of these table but only a few people will can afford them.

Also, I think that Microsoft will make a lot of money with it. I hope that they will not take too much place in this new market because it will have no diversity.
Vrythramax
pll wrote:
This is like in a movie.

I personally think it will be AMAZING for those who can afford. It's the new technology now, the Iphone is coming out tomorrow with the same touch-screen tech. I would like to have one of these table but only a few people will can afford them.

Also, I think that Microsoft will make a lot of money with it. I hope that they will not take too much place in this new market because it will have no diversity.

I'm going to go out a limb here and say (if M$ can getting it working properly) they are going to make *another* ton of money off of it.
ammonkc
Interesting concept, but it seems to be going in a direction opposite of current trends. right now, computing is getting smaller and thinner, while that microsoft surface is a big ass table. I don't really see it taking off at all other than maybe getting a few oohs and ahs at trade shows.
dz9c
i find it pretty cool. i hope it comes to my state this year. i would be souped
ChrisCh
It's great, but I still can't see it being used in (higher-priced) restaurants... Restaurants are all about the people, yet Microsoft's latest news story seems to be geared towards that area...

Oh well... :p lol
ashok
ammonkc wrote:
Interesting concept, but it seems to be going in a direction opposite of current trends. right now, computing is getting smaller and thinner, while that microsoft surface is a big ass table. I don't really see it taking off at all other than maybe getting a few oohs and ahs at trade shows.

Not quite so. Actually the computing took a Y junction and is now headed in two directions regarding interaction with user... One is make it small and simple with essential functions. Other is focus on productivity by adding more facilities... The reason why Apple iPhone contains multi touch screen rather than just a touch screen. The same reason why jeff hans (mit) is researching on integration of multi touch sensors into computers (more details: http://www.ted.com/)

Also, obviously these kind of systems aren't going to be used just for gaming or personal computing... Take up the case of designers. They'll be able to achieve more if the way of interaction with the computer is more user friendly..
Vrythramax
ChrisCh wrote:
It's great, but I still can't see it being used in (higher-priced) restaurants... Restaurants are all about the people, yet Microsoft's latest news story seems to be geared towards that area...

Oh well... :p lol

A link that to that news story would be interesting, I find it rather hard to believe that M$ is gearing a whole new system towards restaurants and not the over-all PC market that made them so rich....unless they plan on trying to take over that market also.

@ashok

I know Jeff Hans personally...he's a bit buggy, but then again so is Tim Berners-Lee Sad